Saturday, February 2, 2013

Those Fabulous Beekman Boys


While Beekman mania seems to be sweeping the county, my own personal Beekman obsession surfaced last Saturday when I had the opportunity to meet Josh and Brent at a local tasting/book signing event.

Before I get to that, let me back up a little. Early last fall Sandy (my ultimate audiobook recommendation source) posted a review of Josh Kilmer-Purcell's memoir The Bucolic Plague. Since Sandy is never wrong, I downloaded the title to my iPod and began listening.  I loved it just as much as Sandy and when I raved about it to my book club, they chose The Bucolic Plague for our December selection. After a lively discussion, we even made tentative plans for a spring road trip to Sharon Springs

However, thanks to a blogger debacle (I hit the "delete" button by mistake and could not recover my post), the review never published. I can't face writing it again, but I will tell you that I actually considered converting the garden shed to a barn and raising a few goats! My husband nixed that idea.


Fast forward to last Saturday. Josh, Brent, and over two hundred of their fans (including six members of my book club) gathered at a local Inn for a tasting event which featured five recipes from The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Cookbook. Stations were scattered throughout the main rooms and displayed the recipe, along with a gorgeous floral arrangement, next to each dish. It was a feast for the eyes as well as the palate.


Both books were available to purchase and, at one point, the signing line extended out of the main dining room and into the lobby. Josh and Brent were wonderful, as expected... very friendly and witty. The Macaroni and Cheese with Mushrooms and Kale was pretty amazing, too.  I also have it on good authority that the recipe for Butternut Squash-filled Lasagna Rolls is excellent. I can't wait to try a few of these recipes for myself.



Weekend Cooking, hosted at Beth Fish Reads, is open to anyone who has a food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up over the weekend. 

23 comments:

  1. Serious fun. I seem to find episodes of their TV show by accident and I always love it. {The one where they delivered goats to Martha S. was priceless.) I need to look for that audiobook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how lucky that were able to attend this event. Wow!!! I have their book and will have to look for those two recipes. You look like you're having a great time and they look so nice and approachable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun event! Such a wonderful thing to do with your book club.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing all the fun -- I'd really like to get the Beekman cookbook now. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like such a fun event, I'm so glad you got to meet the boys. The mac and cheese sounds scrumptious too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The paprika in the mac and cheese is an interesting addition. Pinned it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad about your post! That's rough. So glad you had a great time at the event and got to meet the authors/cooks. Sounds like a wonderful experience!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I visited over at Sandy's and read her review. the book doesn't really call to me, but I did send the link to two of my friends who live that same lifestyle, both with goats. Thanks for introducing me to these two men. Glad you had such a wonderful time at the event. I'm sure the food would have left me wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that's awful about your post. However, that was a fun time you had and great experience---thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love these guys so! And, well, you know, we have a formal invitation to visit them from Josh, so I'm going to have to go at some point. I'm just pissed you are about a million hours closer to them than I am. (SO glad you loved the audio!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never heard of the Beekmans but the book and recipes sure sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a fun event! I wish more authors would come to Kent Ohio. O well I will have to live vicariously through book bloggers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like fun JoAnn. I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't heard of these two before so I'll do some research later on. I do envy you getting to attend author events. There aren't many who venture to my neck of the woods. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, no, goats! My husband brings up that idea every now and again. Nowadays, he does it just to get my goat, I think. (I hope!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why do husbands always say no to goats??? I want a pygmy goat but Matt won't go with the idea. I think he/she would love being with the dogs when I get their outdoor kennel built this spring!! I picked this one up from my library but never got to it. I will have to get it again!!! I'm a bit jealous that you got to meet them but I'm sure you will be introducing many of their recipes to us soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goats would be so much fun, I agree. I think our black lab would give the goats too much trouble though. The cookbook and event both sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. the Beekmans haven't got to NZ yet! Will look out for them on Food Tv. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think goats are adorable, but not so sure I'd want to own some:) Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How fun! I love meeting authors. They're my kind of celebrity. :)

    P.S. I can't understand why your husband nixed your goat idea. What a party pooper!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like a great book. I'll have to see if I can get it on audio from my library.

    Great photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful event, so beautifully done. Thank you for the photos, too!
    I'm sorry to hear your husband nixed the goats. My Uncle lives in York Maine and he and my aunt have several goats...they're very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How wonderful to have the chance to meet the Beeker boys. It soonds like the ultimate in book signings - good food and good books. I have to confess I'm not familiar with the cookbook, but I'm eager to find it now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that picture of you! I'm sitting here watching Top Chef and reading your post. I am really hungry for some great food right now :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails