Friday, February 8, 2013

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett


Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy #1)
by Ken Follett
1008 pages
Penguin Group USA, 2010

Set in the early years of the 20th century, this sweeping saga carries us from battlefields to bedrooms across three continents. The characters, both historic and fictional, come from different countries, classes, and backgrounds, yet their lives intersect in the most plausible ways.

Fall of Giants had been on my wish list for some time when I discovered a copy on the condo bookshelf during our recent trip to Florida. Although I'd packed several vacation books, this seemed like a sign. I was immediately swept up in the drama of a tiny Welsh mining community and, before really deciding to 'commit', I'd read 100 pages. The 1000 page hardcover was far too heavy and bulky to read comfortably, so I ended up downloading the kindle version to my new paperwhite and breezed through the next 900 pages. {Unfortunately this means I have failed the TBR Double Dog Dare, but I'm still in until April.}

Fall of Giants turned out to be a perfect vacation book. Even though the character list is several pages long (and I referred to it frequently in the beginning), it's a fairly quick and easy read that held my interest for the entire thousand pages. I do enjoy a healthy dose of soap opera with my history!

Now the question is whether to download book 2 (Winter of the World) of the trilogy immediately or save it for my next vacation...

My rating:


27 comments:

  1. I think the only way I'll ever read this is to get it on audio! I loved Pillars and World, so I think I'll like this, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - The Fall of Giants audio has very high ratings at audible - I may consider listening to book 2. This is the first I've read by Follett.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, interesting. I haven't really ever been called to a Follett novel but I just might now...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audra - This was the quickest 1000 page novel I've ever read!

      Delete
  3. I love your story about finding a book you've been wanting to read, dropping everything, and loving it! Perfect scenario. Like a gift, really. I haven't read a Ken Follett book in quite awhile, but this sounds really good. I like sweeping sagas that span continents and generations.

    I can see how the Kindle version would appeal! Thud weight is definitely an issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JaneGS - Exactly! I felt bad putting aside The Postmistress, but finding a copy of Fall of Giants just seemed too good to pass up. The kindle paperwhite also has a built in glow light so I can read in bed - my husband says it's less disturbing than my book light.

      Delete
  4. There's something about a vacation book, too. I once started reading a Tom Clancy the day before I left my sister's house because I had finished the books I had with me...and it was painful to have to wait till I got home and found another copy to fins out what happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey - LOL! I've had that happen to me, too... only with John Grisham.

      Delete
  5. I had a hold on this at the library, but when it finally came in I was too busy and could no way have read it before it needed to be returned. Glad you liked it though, I'll have to get a kindle version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I think reading on the kindle is the only way to go with a book this size!

      Delete
  6. Glad you found the perfect vacation read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this as an audio as well as Winter of the World.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - Now I need to decide whether to read or listen to book 2!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this! it's certainly been very popular at the bookstore!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you enjoyed your 1000 page book at lot more than I'm enjoying the 1000 pages of Les Mis! This does encourage me to believe that I could, one day, pick up another 1000 page book and not dread it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - Oh, Les Mis was such a slog for me! I read it when I was in my 20's and have never, not even for a second, considered a reread.

      Delete
  10. Soap opera style historical fiction is something that I adore!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci - Soap opera and history is a great combination - look at Downton Abbey!!

      Delete
  11. I've never paid attention to this book but now that I know what it's about I'm interested. 1000 pages is quite a lot! I'm so glad you enjoyed it and I think I'm going to look into it further!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy - This is probably the quickest, easiest 1000 page book I've ever read!

      Delete
  12. I **loved** this book and the followup. I listened to the audios... you can imagine the number of hours it took.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BethF - Think I'll consider audio for Winter of the World. Why has it taken me so long to read Ken Follett??

      Delete
  13. This trilogy is on my to read list for 2013. 1000 pages is a big commitment though as I read Pillars of the Earth last month. Glad to see you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaye - 1000 pages is definitely a huge commitment, but Fall of Giants was the 'quickest' thousand pages I've ever read. Good luck!

      Delete
  14. Nothing scares me off of a book more than a 1000+ page count!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails