Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pin It and Do It: Four Crockpot Chicken Successes


As February draws to a close, it's time to wrap up my latest  "Pin It and Do It" effort. This month I've been focusing on slow cooker chicken recipes. You already know how much I love my crockpot and, since chicken is always a popular family dinner, combining the two seemed like a win-win proposition. These four recipes were the clear favorites.

Chicken Tikka Masala
I selected this pin from Real Simple  magazine because it called for garam masala, an Indian spice blend I recently purchased for another recipe. The cucumber relish perfectly balanced the chicken spices. (my pin)


Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
This recipe from Stacy Makes Cents was almost too simple! Just put everything in the crockpot and shred the chicken before serving - that's it. Adding a little less chicken broth (I used the full half cup) is the only change I'll make next time. The photo is from Pinterest - I didn't have time to get one of my own. (my pin)


Crockpot Italian Chicken
This is actually a Weight Watchers recipe I found at LaaLoosh. It requires a little stovetop prep, but is well worth the extra effort. The chicken was delicious, but be sure you have fresh parsley on hand. The color really adds to the presentation. Also, I used all baby portabella mushrooms instead of a mix. My photo was too dark, so I'm using one from Pinterest. (my pin)


Crockpot Indonesian Chicken
Here is another Weight Watchers recipe from LaaLoosh. I love coconut milk, lime, and coriander, and knew this would be a hit. I used a combination of chicken parts instead of all drumsticks. Yum. Again, the photo is from Pinterest. I'm convinced food photography is an art! (my pin)

There's nothing like having a meal nearly prepared by dinnertime. Just steam some fresh vegies, and you're good to go. I could happily use my crockpot every night, especially during the winter. Do you have a favorite slow cooker recipe to share?


Thanks again for hosting, Trish. My family loves this challenge!


Weekend Cooking, hosted at Beth Fish Reads, is open to anyone who has a food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up over the weekend.

35 comments:

  1. Yum! I was using my crockpot more this past week and at one point kind of thought it would be nice to have 2 crockpots so I could really go to town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - Don't tell anyone, but I have two crockpots and have been known to use them at the same time ;-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Laurie - They were all winners for my family!

      Delete
  3. Saturdays are my cooking days! I'm always up for new chicken recipes; these look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chicken and the crockpot, so I agree it's an all-round win. And food photography is an art ... and a profession.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh lots of chicken recipes that look really good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a Pinterest post this weekend too. I'm definitely going to try the Italian chicken and the fajitas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a crockpot for Christmas but not sure what to use it for. I will have to try some of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! These all look wonderful. I have used my crock pot a lot this winter. It has been a lifesaver for weeknight dinners. I will have to try these recipes. Thanks for sharing!
    Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, these recipes are great... I only need the crock pot, I really need one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could easily kiss you through the screen because my Crock Pot is my best buddy!! I'm pinning all of these recipes..they look simple and delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love my crockpot too and mostly do beef recipes, so it's nice to see these chicken ones today. Thanks for sharing. I gotta get some garam masala soon :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm always down for trying new chicken dishes! These all look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They all look like winners! My family loves chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi JoAnn,

    Chicken and fish are our two staple 'meaty' items these days. We both enjoy a good steak, but these are usually reserved for when we eat out.

    We both enjoy international cuisine, so your diverse range of chicken dishes from around the world, all sound good to me.

    We also tend to eat much more in the way of pasta and rice as an accompaniment to a meal, rather than our traditional UK staple diet of potatoes, although of course an excellent steak will always demand chunky chips as a gourmet accompaniment!

    Thanks for sharing those delicious recipes,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the international flair you have added to your recipes! It is only within the past five years or so that I have developed a passion for the Indian flavors, and they are so wonderful! Now the children in my class bring me samosas and other treats I can't spell, and our favorite tea has a blend of cloves, cinnamon, fennel, and cardamom added to it. Your pictures, are beautiful too, JoAnn, which is hard to do when photographing food (in my opinion).

    ReplyDelete
  16. My slow cooker has been pressed into service lately for vegetarian dishes, something of an experiment. But these recipes all look appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These all look fabulous. I saw one the other day that was just chicken and brown sugar and garlic. Looked really good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's definitely an art! All I learned along the way is don't use the flash, use the macro setting on your camera (mine is a fairly basic digital, and has lots of other settings I've never learned anything about), and cheer very loudly on the rare occasions when a photo comes out well! I'm very very very tempted to buy a crockpot. I wish my blogging friends would stop tempting me thusly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Italian Chicken looks especially yummy! I rarely use my crockpot for chicken because I'm gone for 10 hours during the day and can never seem to get my act together on the weekend but there are a few that I like where it involves just shredding the chicken like your fajitas here. YUM!!! And yes--I agree about photos. I've taken some I'm pleased with but then I look at a food blog and realize that they're still terrible in comparison. I have terrible lighting in my kitchen plus "plating" just always seems like so much work when we're just going to gobble it down anyway.

    Thanks as always for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Crockpot Indonesian sounds wonderful. I love Indonesian food and have never made it - I've pinned this (of course) and am following your boards now - you've got some great ones!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A nice trip around the world with chicken! Thanks for all the recipes for one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love my crock pot and always looking for new chicken recipes. These sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for these! Just last week I was doing some sort of a chicken crock pot thingy and it didn't turn out well, maybe I'd too much water and no I didn't put in chicken broth. I must try your recipes here. And on another note: what do you think of the Oscars last night?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ooh like the look of the Italian chicken. Low calorie is good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooooh! The fajitas look and sound wonderful - and also low-fat and easy. Can't ask for more than that! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mmmmm, the Indonesian Chicken looks mouth-watering. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh boy did I just get hungry! I love the chicken fajitas especially because you said how easy they are. But all of these chicken recipes sound delicious. I don't have a crockpot but I'm talkingmy husband into one...he's not sure we'd use it since he does most of the cooking. I'm going to use these recipes to convince him! Did you try many chicken recipes (you said these werew your familiy's favorites)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy - There were a couple other recipes that were just so-so, but I delete pins from my boards if I wouldn't make them again.

      Delete
  28. I love using the crockpot so I'll be marking this post.

    ReplyDelete
  29. We tried the Indonesian one - AWESOME!!! so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Care - Yay! Glad you liked it - my daughter is asking when we are having it again!

      Delete
  30. Yummy, I am always looking for good crock pot recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails