Good morning, Saloners! It's another quiet Sunday morning here. I'm the first one up, have poured the coffee, turned on the laptop, and am ready for my weekly visit to the Sunday Salon.
We've settled into a comfortable summer routine this week, and I finally finished The Enchanted April
by Elizabeth Von Arnim. I read this book very slowly to savour every moment in Italy...yet my 'virtual vacation' still ended far too quickly! My review will be posted later in the week.
That time in Italy was so enjoyable, I decided to stay on and begin Marlena de Blasi's A Thousand Days in Venice
. This is her true story of falling in love (almost at first sight) while on assignment in Venice, packing up her house in St Louis, and beginning a new life in Italy with the Venetian 'stranger'. It's a quick read, so I'll be finishing within the next couple of days. Both books are for Molly's Summer Vacation reading challenge
On audio, I completed Interpreter of Maladies
, Jhumpa Lahiri's Pulitzer Prize winning short story collection. Each story was very well done and I'd be hard pressed to come up with a favorite. Her other collection, Unaccustomed Earth
, is one of my favorite books this year.
Miss Remmers is a blogger I have only recently discovered. She is a college student, aspiring author and teacher, and maintains a wonderful blog! In accepting the award, I need to list seven of my favorite things.
1. My family - I have a wonderful husband and three teenage daughters that mean the world to me. My parents and four of my five siblings also live close-by, so we see each other often.
2. Books - obviously!
3. The lake - Being near water has such a calming effect on my soul. I love watching the lake change daily and with the seasons.
4. Cooking - I love to cook and try new recipes.
5. Wine - Whether it's finding an ideal pairing to go with a meal, putting away an inexpensive wine for several years to find it aged to perfection, or visiting a vineyard, my husband and I both enjoy tasting and learning about wines.
6. Sports - I am the world's best spectator! My husband often says this interest was wasted on him, and insists that I would have made some sports fan a great wife. Whether it's the kids' games, pro or college football, baseball, or college basketball (my favorite) ...I love a good game!
7. Gardening - A newer hobby, I started a small perennial garden 5 years ago and have been expanding and experimenting ever since.
Thank you, Miss Remmers, for thinking of me! It's always hard to pass on awards, but I've decided to give this award to a few bloggers I have recently discovered:
Lilli at bookbabie
- check out the beautiful photos
Becca at Bookstack
- she's a wonderful writer!
Stop by and say hello to these new friends of mine.
If you're still reading this very long, rambling post (perhaps I should have done the award separately?), thank you! I'll be spending my afternoon in Venice. Where will your reading take you today?