Friday, July 24, 2009

Lost In Austen, DVD

The Everything Austen Challenge is officially underway! Over the course of two evenings last week, Lost in Austen served as our kick-off event. Daughter #1 (who has decided to become an unofficial participant) and I thoroughly enjoyed watching this DVD.

The premise is such fun! Amanda Price, a modern gal in London who finds solace in Jane Austen's novels, hears strange noises coming from her bathroom one evening. Upon investigation, she is stunned to find Elizabeth Bennett standing in her bathtub. Lizzie has just stepped through a magical door behind the shower.

When Amanda decides to pass through the door in the plumbing, she emerges into the Bennett's attic! Accessing the activity around her, she is thrilled to discover that she's "at the beginning" of the story. Of course she knows how the novel is supposed to proceed, and Amanda does her best to ensure the proper outcome. However, some very entertaining complications arise - much to the delight of the viewers in this household!

One of my favorite moments occurs when Amanda, standing near the fountain with a white-shirt clad Darcy, asks him to "indulge" her for a moment. Before you know it, Darcy dives in to the water and emerges 'a la Colin Firth'! We were quite literally roaring with laughter at this point.

One can only imagine what Jane's reaction would be to the current spin-offs and permutations of her novels. Biographers tell us she had quite a sense of humor, so I like to think Jane would be amused. We've certainly strayed and wide from Pride and Prejudice!

The Everything Austen Challenge continues. Daughter #1 read Pride & Prejudice & Zombies this week, and I've nearly convinced her to write a guest post for me. Either Two Guys Read Jane Austen or The Annotated Pride and Prejudice will be next up for me. Stay tuned...





23 comments:

  1. I just finished watching Lost in Austen on DVD last night (for the second time). It really is a clever story. Glad both you and your daughter enjoyed it!! Did you see this scene (that apparently they didn't include in the DVD for copyright purposes). You would probably enjoy it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG8zyNz3rhE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie- What great scene! Thanks for sending me the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was one of my favorite parts when it was on TV (the Downtown singing piece), but I also loved the wet shirt moment. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I loved the Downtown scene as well. As for the wet white shirt scene, I remember being torn between laughter and admiration for the over-whelming hotness that is Elliot Cowan. This series is such a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you enjoyed it, JoAnn! I am looking forward to re-watching it for the challenge.

    I thought it was wonderful and although taking major liberties with the plot was not sacreligious in the slightest but obviously came from a place that had nothing but adoration for the original. It was great fun and a great favourite. I loved too the indulgence of the lake scene as that is of cultural significance and of much importance to P&P fans!

    I will be posting my first Everything Austen review tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not seen it but it looks like fun.

    I like the sound of the book Two goys read Austen...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A co-worker returned 'Lost in Austen' yesterday and was going on about the fountain scene. It was quite good wasn't it! Thanks for reminding me about The Annotated Pride and Prejudice, I'd love to own a copy of that one day. Whenever you read it, whether sooner or later, please let us know how you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura's Reviews - I loved the "Downtown" clip! This morning was the first time I saw it.

    Kals - We did have a lot of fun with this! I enjoyed looking around your blog this afternoon.

    Paperback Reader - I marvel at the cultural importance the wet white shirt scene seems to have developed! I'll be sure to look for your challenge review tomorrow. Have a great weekend.

    Verity - My daughter may snag the Two Guys book before I get to it, but the annotated P&P looks great, too.

    Darlene - Loved the wet white shirt scene!!
    Will be sure to let you know about the annotated P&P - it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to watch mine. For some crazy reason I keep putting it off!! Now that my son will be at football camp next week, and the hubby is working nights I believe that I will watch this then!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Staci - It sounds like you have the perfect opportunity coming up. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved everything about Lost in Austen - affectionate and clever. I could watch it over and over again... a shame they cut the Downtown bit from the DVD, because that makes quite a bit not make sense...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I MUST watch this movie! Thanks for the review. That Colin Firth take off sounds too funny to miss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. JoAnn- Thanks for commenting on my blog posts :)

    And, I love your profile background and layout- very beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm very excited to watch this! On hold at the library so it's very popular! Haha glad you and Daughter #1 enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. StuckInABook - I'm sure I'll be watching this again! They really should have included the 'Downtown' scene though...

    Beth F. - It's worth watching for the wet white shirt scene alone, but the rest of it is also too good to miss.

    Kals - Thank you!

    Miss Remmers - You're going to love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I knew I'd love it even before I watched it so I just went ahead and ordered it from Amazon.com! I was not disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hmsgofita - This was definitely a fun series. I may even watch it again! Glad to hear you liked it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love this movie! It's one of my favorites. I've borrowed it from the library a few times. I'm going to have to break down and pick up my own copy though. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dar - we may end up buying this one, too - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you enjoyed this. It's next on my Netflix queue, and I'm hoping that I won't flip over the liberties it takes with Austen's work. I'm always up for a laugh, though, so judging by what you write, I'm sure to enjoy it.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. celi.a - I hope you enjoy it - there are some moments that are really pretty funny. It's a good thing Jane had a sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad Stephanie posted the link to the Downtown scene. It was not in the DVD and I was momentarily confused. Now I see what I missed. What a hoot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beth F - Isn't that a great scene? Too bad they had to leave it out of the DVD, but I'm glad Stephanie shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails