Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day

Happy 4th of July! Our celebration begins early this morning with a road race around the lake (I'll be encouraging the participants, but R will be running), followed by a community party at the finish line in the park. An arts and crafts show will be set up all weekend.

The parade steps off mid-afternoon, then it's off to my cousin's for their annual barbecue...complete with music, food, volleyball, swimming, and sometimes even an inflatable jumping house for the kids!

Early evening will find us back home with the extended family preparing for fireworks on the lake. It may be a little cool for swimming today, but that probably won't deter the children. We'll roast marshmallows over the fire and make s'mores.

I love Independence Day, and our town always goes all-out for its celebration! I hope everyone in the US enjoys a safe and happy 4th!

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a GREAT day planned! Enjoy ... and happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 4th to you and yours...enjoy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo! Smores! You have a happy and safe weekend!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic day you have ahead of you! I bet the pillow will feel good tonight. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like you had a pretty exciting holiday. it was just happy to see the sun after a month of rain :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone! It was very windy and chilly yesterday (perfect for the runners), so there was no swimming, but we still had wonderful time. We saw lots of friends at my cousin's and spent time with the family later on. The fireworks finale was the best ever...I'm so sorry I didn't have my camera and at least attempt to capture some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a very fun 4th. I was sitting in the pool with a book all day in Palm Springs, then watched the firework at night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matt - It was a great day, but Palm Springs sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails