Monday, July 13, 2009

Mailbox Market?

Saturday's visit to the farmer's market ended at my favorite independent bookstore, conveniently located just across the green. "Mailbox Market" is the result.

The past few weeks, we've been bypassing the small market in our village and traveling almost 30 minutes to the larger, more 'funky' market a few towns over where we recently discovered the best organic free-range chickens ever! The university bookstore is an added bonus.

I set out bright and early (which means 10AM for a college student!) with Daughter #1 and Twin A. We were disappointed to learn that our favorite farmer will be out of chickens until the end of the month. The dozen eggs provided a small consolation. After a walk around the green, our bag was full of summer squash, green and red peppers, radishes, and lettuce.

At the end of the green, Daughter #1 asked if we had time for a quick browse in the book store. How could I refuse? We emerged with:


by Jack Murnighan

I was intrigued when I first saw this on Lezlie's blog. Since our library system does not have a copy, I was happy to find it here.





by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

...for Daughter #1. I'll admit I though this was a joke when I first heard about it, but she loves it so far!





We got home in time for a late lunch. The girls asked for Rachel Ray's Asparagus Popover, but since no asparagus was available, I made it with a red and green pepper instead.
The next time, I'll try it with summer squash.
After lunch, the predicted storms arrived and we spent a quiet afternoon with our books.

What did you find at the farmer's market (or in your mailbox) last week?







13 comments:

  1. Book browsing with children is gfun. I take along my nieces and nephews!

    Mondays: Musings/Whereabouts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, JoAnn! I hope you have fun with Beowulf on the Beach!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lot of fun. Have you look through the Beowulf? If so, what to do you think? On Friday we went to a central market and found some cute framed prints of quilts against a background of flowers...potential Christmas gifts...and yummy pastries. Tomorrow we are going to a new market in the town over that we have heard good things about. We are on the lookout for hanging flower baskets for the front porch and strawberries. No other produce as I finished by grocery shopping during the weekend:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only did you get good stuff for the body but also great reads for the brain!! Enjoy those!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely, lovely day with your girls. My thoughts were with you once the storm cleared out of Burlington, one thunder clap shook the house! It's been all about cherries in our house this past week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The asparagus popover looks yummy. I could never turn down an opportunity to browse in a book store either :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta love Farmer's Markets and books! Glad you made a good haul!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just put Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on hold at my library. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gautami - We've spent a lot of time in bookstores over the years. I'm glad they seem to love it as much as I do.

    Lezlie - I will! Not sure if I'll get to read any of his selections this summer though.

    BookPsmith - For Beowulf, he's taken 50 books and reviewed them. Then added section like 'the buzz', 'quirky fact', 'what to skip'. 'what's sexy', etc. Looks like fun...I'd see if your new library has a copy. Sounds like you're having fun exploring your new surroundings!

    Staci - We will. It was definitely a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darlene - It's funny, but we had just enough time! It was a very quick-moving storm.

    Diane - That popover is delicious, and we've had fun experimenting with other vegetables, too.

    Miss Remmers - I do love those farmer's markets! It's good to know all the food is local.

    Well-ManneredFrivolity - My daughter is loving P&P&Z so far. I'm even considering borrowing it when she's done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your comment about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I keep running into this book and have been told multiple times that it is good. I'll probably break down sooner or later and read it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terri B. - My daughter has started the book now and is really enjoying it, even though she isn't really into the whole zombie thing. She insists that I'll like it, so I may give it a shot. I read on some blogs today that they are coming out with Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters next. I draw the line at sea monsters! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great way to spend a day - one of favorite ways in fact! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails