Friday, May 15, 2009

Summer Vacation Reading Challenge

It's coming! Summer is just weeks away and Molly at My Cozy Book Nook is hosting her first challenge. The Summer Vacation Reading Challenge is set to begin May 22 (Memorial Day weekend) and will run through September 7 (Labor Day weekend). The requirements are simple. Molly writes:

Summer vacations are meant to be relaxing and fun - not stressful. However, some people interpret "fun" by doing nothing but going to the beach and vegging out -- while others like to maximize their sight-seeing adventures. To that end, I have developed two different levels of participation:

Beach Bumb: you will read 3 books during this time frame (a leisurely book-a-month); cross-over book selections from other challenges may count; and you do not have to list books in advance -- after all, summer vacation is a time for spontaneity.

Globe Trotter: you will commit to reading 6 pre-selected books during this time frame, but you may substitute up to 3 books due to changes in travel plans. Cross-overs for 5 out of the 6 books are allowed, but ideally one book will be read for this challenge alone.

Sounds great, right? I've decided to sign up at the beach bum level and my plan is to vacation in Europe. The tentative itinerary includes:

1. Venice - A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena de Blasi
2. Paris - Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnick
3. London - Imagined London: A Tour of the World's Greatest Fictional City by Anna Quindlen

If things go well in Venice, however, I may end up spending the entire summer in Italy. I'm very anxious to get to Elizabeth Von Arnim's The Enchanted April, and I see that Marlena deBlasi has a new book set in Sicily. We'll see where I end up!

Read more about the challenge and sign up here. Thanks for hosting, Molly!

Reviews:
The Enchanted April - posted here
A Thousand Days in Venice - posted here
That Old Cape Magic - posted here

Challenge completed 9/4/09

8 comments:

  1. Do read 'Enchanted April' it is wonderful. Here is my review, http://zetor-mogsblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/enchanted-april.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zetor,
    After reading your review, I think I'll start the challenge with The Enchanted April! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Gopnick book on my shelf! And I'd like to read the Quindlen someday. It is possible that I am the only woman who did not like The Enchanted April. Most absolutely love this book, but not me. I've even read it twice, and I still didn't like it. The only thing that redeemed it for me were the descriptions of the house and gardnes. I just watched the movie on dvd after seeing it years ago on video. I remember that I liked it, and in fact thought it better than the book, but as I watched I didn't care for it too much either. :<( I just couldn't buy some of the 'magical' things that happened in Italy I guess. Am I too down to earth? :<)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nan,
    It sounds like The Enchanted April is just not your cup of tea. I'm always nervous about reading a book everyone raves about - expectations get set too high, I guess. At least if I don't like this one, I'll have company ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a perfect 'vacation':) We may end up reading Quindlen's book at the same time. My mom asked for the Enchanted April dvd for her upcoming birthday. She loves the movie so much, maybe she will love the book. Enjoy your summer reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BookPsmith,
    I am holding off on The Enchanted April movie until after I've read the book. It should be an exciting summer of 'traveling'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been wanting to read Enchanted April for a while--maybe I will get to it this summer too? Great choices for your challenge list--I keep changing mine!
    *smiles*
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim,
    Being able to change our lists is what makes this challenge so appealing to me. Who knows where we'll end up on our travels this summer?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails