Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tuesday Intro: Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym

The new curate seemed quite a nice young man, but what a pity it was that his combinations showed, tucked carelessly into his socks, when he sat down. Belinda had noticed it when they had met him for the first time at the vicarage last week and had felt quite embarrassed. Perhaps Harriet could say something to him about it. Her blunt jolly manner could carry off these little awkwardnesses much better than Belinda's timidity. Of course he might think it none of their business, as indeed it was not, but Belinda rather doubted whether he thought at all, if one were to judge by the quality of his first sermon.
Some Tame Gazelle
by Barbara Pym

Some Tame Gazelle, published in 1950, is Barbara Pym's first novel and I think the opening paragraph is very representative of her style. It says pure comfort reading to me. Would you continue?

Have you read Barbara Pym?



Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book she decided to read based on the opening. Feel free to grab the banner and play along.

17 comments:

  1. I've read one or two Barbara Pym books with my book club and we have enjoyed them. I must look for this one--I agree that Barbara Pym is great comfort reading.

    Here's my Tuesday intro: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/05/first-chapter-first-paragraph-13-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quirky opener...I am now thinking I must read this author.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the opening. To me it reflects a time long past. I'd love to keep reading. I've only read one or two of Barbara Pym's novels. It's been so long I could/should read them again. I hope you're enjoying it JoAnn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I would continue and no I have not read Barbara Pym. I passed one over at a local thrift store, maybe I should stop back and see if it is still there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read Barbara Pym before. I'd keep going. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your intro!! My tbr pile will never get shorter.....!!!

    Here is my intro post with a guest review from my brother

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the only Pym I've read so far, but I really enjoyed it. I think the opening paragraph tees up the story nicely and presents the characters deftly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read all of Pym's novels on a regular basis. She is my literary palate cleanser when I get too full of denser fare. I love her and recommend her whenever, wherever, and to whomever I can. She rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard great things about Pym's books. I agree, it sounds like pure comfort--and oh so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this book! Harriet and Belinda are a great sister act.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the intro and adore the cover. I would definitely read more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will definitely continue. Thanks for hopping by my post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would keep reading...must get something by this author!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have Excellent Women on my TBR - this makes me want to read it ASAP !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brona Joy - Excellent Women is wonderful. You are in for a treat!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails