Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Sunday Salon: Right Now


Good morning and Happy Sunday. We're enjoying a relatively quiet weekend on the lake... how often does that happen? My husband is out of town for a family memorial service/reunion and will be home early this evening. Twin A is putting in long hours at work, while Twin B and I take care of the yard work, run errands, and (hopefully) accomplish a few domestic chores.  

Inspired by Lisa, I'm experimenting with a new Sunday Salon post format.

Right Now

Time:  9:30 Sunday morning
Place:  my favorite chair
Out my window:  56 degrees, overcast with a few showers... very quiet on the lake

Reading :
The last twenty pages of Some Tame Gazelle  by Barbara Pym and sipping black coffee... although tea might be the more appropriate drink.

Listening to:
 And the Mountains Echoed  by Khaled Hosseini
I literally had goosebumps at the end of the first chapter, and the word 'mesmerizing' came to mind after the second. I plan to purchase a hardcover copy when the book is released on Tuesday because I can't listen fast enough.  My mother and sister will love it, too.



Making:
So many beautiful knitted projects have been popping up on blogs and Pinterest lately, but my needles have been idle for the last decade. I'm off to the yarn shop this afternoon and will attempt to get back into things with this simple scarf... if I can only remember how to cast on! (photo from Pinterest)

Watching:
No film or television viewing last week, but the twins and I enjoyed a few old family movies, especially our 2001 'Christmas of the American Girl Doll' when Samantha, Kit, and Kirsten joined our household.

Enjoying:
Sunday home delivery of the New York Times

Anticipating: 
Tomorrow's Classics Spin number... it will determine my next read.

Hoping for: 
A quick trip to NYC to see Daughter #1... maybe next week?

How was your week?  Any big plans for today?

23 comments:

  1. I just loaded that Hosseini on my iPod and have heard it is amazing. It is high on my priority list, as soon as I finish Jen Lancaster's "Here I Go Again" and "The 5th Wave". I have so many amazing audios to pick from here lately. My husband and son are in the panhandle fishing and won't be back until dinner time so I'm thinking that I need to seize the day and lay by the pool and read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy - Hosseini's new novel is SO good. I'll be at the store Tuesday morning to buy a copy... so many passages already I want to go back and reread!

      Delete
  2. Reading and knitting by the lake. What a wonderful way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee - It's nice to have a Sunday at home once in a while :-)

      Delete
  3. Love this! That scarf is beautiful - hope you can remember how to cast on! I've been thinking it's time to pick up my crocheting again. I didn't want to give up books to do it, though. Then, duh, I remembered I could listen to books while I did it. Enjoy your relaxing day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - I got my yarn, now we'll see how it goes. It's been a long time...

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a lovely time! I really need to pick up my needles again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth F - I've been talking about knitting again for the past couple of years. It's finally time to take some action!

      Delete
  5. No big plans for today but we are about to head to a BBQ and then maybe later we'll watch a movie. I could use a nap and I just woke up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti - Sounds like a nice Sunday to me. Hope you get that nap later on ;-)

      Delete
  6. I'm hoping that knitting is like riding a bicycle, because I've always meant to take it up again. Although I learned to knit the "other" way -- where you jab one knitting needle into your stomach and knit with the other one instead of holding both of them more horizontally in your hands while sitting in the vicarage parlor and waiting for fresh tea to arrive. :) I just started reading Hazel Holt's biography of B.P. because I'm getting read for the party! Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey - LOL.. I'd forgotten about that 'other' way - it always looked rather painful to me;-) I just finished Some Tame Gazelle and hope to perfect a cauliflower cheese before Pym Week.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a quiet and lovely way to spend a Sunday. That scarf seems like it would be a perfect summer weight for a chilly evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish - We've had a nice day at home, now I'm off to the airport to pick up my husband. Can't wait to get started on the scarf!

      Delete
  8. I can't wait to hear about your trip to the yarn shop. Since your blog has helped spark the reader in me again, I enjoy seeing your knitting spirit re-emerge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilea - The yarn shop was closed today, but I ended up at JoAnn Fabrics and bought a couple skeins of a plum/grey variegated super fine yarn. I'll probably end up signing up for one of the yarn shop's guided project classes to help me get started again, but in the meantime, the scarf looks pretty easy.

      Are you reading The Thirteen Tale? I liked the beginning, got bored for a while in the middle, then ended up loving it. I'll probably wait and write a review after our book club meeting.

      Delete
  9. Glad you're enjoying And the Mountains Echoed. I read it on holidays recently and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brona Joy - I just love it! I want to read faster, but also don't want it to be over.

      Delete
  10. That scarf looks so delicate and lovely. I like the new SS format JoAnn. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - I picked up some yarn yesterday afternoon and will get started soon. We'll see how it goes... I'm wondering if I'll need a refresher course.

      Delete
  11. I love her Sunday Posts too and the format!!! That scarf is gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci - I started a few rows of the scarf yesterday, but ripped it out. The casting on looked too messy... may head over to my mother's for a little help tomorrow.

      Delete
  12. That scarf is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails