Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: The Series Edition

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week we're asked to list ten series we would like to start. I'm a series avoider by nature, but my list includes both series I want to start and and a few I need to finish.


Seven Series I Want to Start

The Passing Bells by Phillip Rock (Grenville Family Saga)
Am I living under a rock? This is exactly  my kind of series, yet I just heard about it a couple of weeks ago (thanks to Audra and Amy). It will be perfect to read while waiting for season four of Downton Abbey.

The Patrick Melrose Novels by Edward St. Aubyn
From Never Mind  to Mother's Milk, these novels have been on my wish list for some time. Bellezza and Marie reviewed them recently, and Picador has a gorgeous omnibus edition.

Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin
I've wanted to read Maupin's novels for years. Matt loves them, and that's a pretty good indicator that I will, too.

A Dance to the Music of Time by Anthony Powell
This would be a huge undertaking, but it sounds like it's right up my alley. I'd also love to cross it off my Classics Club list.

Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson
Although I have the edition pictured above, I never met a Persephone I didn't love. This would be followed quickly by Miss Buncle Married.

44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith
I enjoyed The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, and couldn't resist picking this up at a library book sale last summer.

Baltimore Blues by Laura Lippman
I've enjoyed a couple of Lippman's stand alone novels, and one from the Tess Monaghan series (I hate  reading out of order!)  Now I need to start from the beginning.

Three Series I Need to Finish

The Century Trilogy by Ken Follett
Fall of Giants was a perfect vacation read earlier this year. Now I can't wait to read Winter of the World. Thankfully, the third book isn't out yet.

The Dublin Murder Squad Series by Tana French
I'm one of Tana French's newest fans. I loved In the Woods  and plan to start The Likeness  soon.

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear
It's been a couple of years since I listened to Maisie Dobbs. It's time to continue with Birds of a Feather.

Do you love series or do you tend to avoid them? Visit The Broke and the Bookish for more Top Ten Tuesday Posts.

26 comments:

  1. I love series! I enjoy meeting familiar characters again, catching up with them, seeing where their lives have taken them - like meeting old friends. Most of the new series I read these days are mysteries or sci-fi/fantasy. Sometimes stand-alone books feel too short - leaving me wondering what happens next to the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa May - Hmm, when you put it that way, series sound much more appealing. I do like mysteries, but rarely (like never) read sci-fi or fantasy.

      Delete
  2. I do enjoy books in a series, and hate when I read them out of order. I read one of the Tales of the City books (Mary Ann in Autumn); and one of the Tess Monaghan books (The Girl in the Green Raincoat). I have a Maisie Dobbs book, too, but not the first one.

    I think I'll start by finding a copy of Baltimore Blues, because I really enjoy Lippman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain Snow - The Girl in the Green Raincoat is the one Tess Monaghan book I read, too. I felt like I missed a lot of her background, so I really want to start at the beginning. The first Maisie Dobbs book was great. I think you'd like it!

      Delete
  3. I was sold on the Grenville Family Saga the minute I saw the words Downton Abbey, I'm always looking for some media to fill the void. I love Tana' French's Dublin Murder Squad series, I still need to read Faithful Place and Broken Harbor but the first two are great. I hope you enjoy The Likeness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whitney - The Grenville famiy saga sounds just perfect to me! I'm pretty sure I'm going to love The Likeness, too.

      Delete
  4. Superb list! Passing Bells is on my list too! I love Alexander McCall Smith's books! And, I've never heard of Miss Buncle's Book, but the cover seems very intriguing! I'll check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eszter - I'll need to make time for The Passing Bells very soon. It sounds so good!

      Delete
  5. I love series. You highlight a couple of "new to me" series. I've got Winter of the World on my stack. I just read In The Woods and went right out to get The Likeness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nise' - We'll have to see who gets to Winter of the World first. It's a huge book, so I will probably read it on my kindle.

      Delete
  6. The Scotland Street series has been a kinda-like-kinda-don't-like experience with me. Very different from No. 1 Ladies series. I've only read two in the SS series. The first I was kinda-don't but the second was kinda-like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb Nance - Hmm, we'll see how this goes...

      Delete
  7. Great choices!! I want to read the Roth books too because of Anna's reviews!! Never heard of them until she posted about them, but like you think they will certainly enhance Downton Abbey watching and my fascination with the time period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci - I'd like to drop everything and read them right now!

      Delete
  8. I wasn't aware Miss Buncle was a series --one I've been meaning to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - There's at least one more book, Miss Buncle Married.

      Delete
  9. I don't like series, at all! I prefer the closure of finishing a novel and knowing that there will be no more to the story - unless I elaborate in my head. I would give that Passing Bells series a second look, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anbolyn - The Passing Bells series is SO tempting!!

      Delete
  10. I'm a huge fan of the Scotland Street series--listened to all but one, and really enjoyed that approach to them. Bertie and his hopeless parents, Domenica, Angus and Cyril, Bruce and his bosses, Pat and her past, and Big Lou. They're like old friends. I have got to get back to Edinburgh to follow their footsteps.

    I got the first Maisie Dobbs book this week and am eager to get hooked!

    The great thing about series is that when you start one and you like it, you know you have lots of enjoyable books at your fingertips. Just there for the taking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JaneGS - I listened to The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books and thought they were extremely well done. I'll consider audio for the Scotland Street series, too, after I read the first one.

      "The great thing about series is that when you start one and you like it, you know you have lots of enjoyable books at your fingertips. Just there for the taking!" This makes me think about series in a whole new light - thanks!

      Delete
  11. I'm neutral on series. I do hope you read the Melrose series! I want to read Tana French's series as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol - I could hardly think of any series I'd be interested in diving into. And then I see your list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love series but don't have enough time for the ones I already love! I'm on board with The Likeness though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacybuckeye - Everyone seems to love Tana French!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails