Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tuesday Intro: The Forgotten Waltz


"I met him in my sister's garden in Enniskerry. That is where I saw him first. There was nothing fated about it, though I add in the late summer light and the view. I put him at the bottom of my sister's garden, in the afternoon, at the moment the day begins to turn. Half five maybe. It is half past five on a Wicklow summer Sunday when I see Sean for the first time. There he is, where the end of my sister's garden becomes uncertain. He is about to turn around - but he doesn't know this yet. He is looking at the view and I am looking at him. The sun is low and lovely. He is standing where the hillside begins its slow run down to the coast, and the light is at his back, and it is just that time of day when all the colours come into their own."
The Forgotten Waltz
by Anne Enright

I picked this book up on Friday intending to read just a page or two, but was entranced by Enright's writing and ended up at page fifty before realizing I'd actually decided to start the book. Does the first paragraph appeal to you?

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book she decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Feel free to grab the banner and play along.



18 comments:

  1. I do love this intro, and look forward to experiencing this one myself. Can't wait for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd definitely keep going. This really drew me in and I could picture it already. Good choice, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know this author at all, but when I read lines like "There he is, where the end of my sister's garden becomes uncertain. He is about to turn around - but he doesn't know this yet." that becomes something I want to change!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would keep reading as I wanted him to turn around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've recently noticed that I have a few Enright books on my self. Don't know much about her and haven't heard of this one. Does sound beautiful, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my selection for the Ireland Reading Challenge. Thanks for posting ... it sounds intriguing. I'm still lining up for the holds in the public library. Soon...

    Arti

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this book so much, not for lighthearted pleasure as much as the raw intensity of emotion the author created. It ended up being one of my favorites for 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm intrigued! I have to choose a book from our catalogue to review for the library so off to check on it. Thanks, JoAnn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane - Just finished it this afternoon and have already started the review :-)

    Kaye - Her writing is very evocative, I enjoyed this one.

    Audrey - She won the Mann Booker prize in 2007 for The Gathering. Think I'll have to give that a try, too.

    Nise' - He eventually does;-)

    Trish - This is the first I've read and her writing is beautiful, but I've heard her other work can be quite bleak.

    Arti - I got this through inter-library loan and only had to wait a few weeks. Hope your hold comes through soon...I have a feeling you'll like it!

    Bellezza - I can certainly see how this made it to your favorites list... such beautifully evocative writing. Have you read any of her other work?

    Darlene - I'll be curious to see what you think. Not an awful lot of plot, but oh, the feelings and emotions. Wonderful writing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have difficulty putting this book down after reading this opening paragraph.

    Great choice and I hope you enjoy this book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy - That was definitely true in my case! It's very unusual for me to read so much when I'm only trying to decide which book to read next

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you love it when that happens??? You picked a winner and I would keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Staci - Yes, I do! It doesn't happen all that often, so I really appreciate it when it odes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read the first paragraph and loved it. Unfortunately, I started TBR Double Dare and had to send the book back to the library.

    Glad to hear that you're enjoying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vasilly - I'd recommend checking out again after April 1 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the ARC of this and I'm intrigued by this paragraph. I'm looking forward to your review. Shall I move it to the top of my stacks? Ah, it was one of Bellezza's favorites. I guess it's settled then! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Les - Move it up higher in the stack! Not a lot of plot, but it still held my attention. I enjoyed Enright's writing... will work on the review this wek.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails