Saturday, December 5, 2009

Weekend Cooking: Snickerdoodles

Saturday has come to mean Weekend Cooking, the new feature hosted at Beth Fish Reads. Stop by, see what's cooking, and leave your link to any type of food-related post.

I've been baking this week, but not Christmas cookies just yet. We're traveling to Massachusetts this weekend for Daughter #1's basketball tournament, and she has requested "Snickerdoodles".

This is the recipe my mother used when I was growing up. It's hard to believe that I've been making them with my girls since they needed a step-stool to reach the kitchen counter! The recipe is very kid-friendly. What child doesn't enjoy rolling the dough into little balls and rolling the balls in cinnamon sugar?

Snickerdoodles

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoon cream of tarter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

2 Tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix flour, cream of tarter, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Mix 2 T sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon in small bowl. Set aside

In an electric mixer, combine butter, shortening, sugar , and eggs. Beat until smooth and fluffy.

Gradually add in flour mixture. Shape dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into balls. Roll balls in cinnamon/sugar mixture.

Place 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes or until set. Immediately remove from cookie sheet.
Enjoy!

21 comments:

  1. Oh yum! We may have to make these...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Snickerdoodles! We used to make these all the time when I was a kid. Perhaps it's time to make them again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tee hee hee.

    My dad loved Snickerdoodles. And everytime my mom would make them, he'd snicker. It's one of those cheesy family traditions...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm! Nigella has a recipe for these which I made years ago and have been meaning to try again for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Snickerdoodles too. I haven't made them in a very long time but I'm getting out the stuff today. Just the smell of cinnamon from the oven will a great Saturday treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Your mom used the same recipe for snickerdoodles (don't you love the name) that mine did! Best of luck to daughter #1 and her team in their tournament. They will definitely be perked up by these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm...love snickerdoodles! I will be saving this recipe as the one I use is inconsistent as far as the results. Best of luck for the tournament:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can smell them!! Yummy!! I'm copying your recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandy - Let me know if you try them...gotta love those snickerdoodles!

    Beth F - One of the reasons I keep making these is my own childhood memories.

    Caite - I can honestly say I've never met a cookie I didn't like ;-)

    Softdrink - Cheesy family traditions are the best!!

    Verity - Oh, I'd love to compare this recipe with Nigella's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Margot - There is something comforting about the smell of cinnamon, isn't there?

    DS - That must have been 'the' snickerdoodle recipe back in the day! The girls lost Friday night, but had a very exciting come-back win today...which they're attributing it to the cookies!

    Book Psmith - Hope you have better results with this recipe. It's been around for quite some time. The team was .500 at the tournament, but (if I can brag here) Daughter #1 had her career-best game today, and got a trophy for being named to the all-tournament team!

    Staci - This recipe is a classic! Hope you like it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have eaten my fair share of these...but I've never made them. I'm always looking for fun things to try in the kitchen with my nieces!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom makes these every Christmas :) Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jill - Go ahead and give them a try. I'm sure your nieces would love it!

    Marie - It's hard to decide whether I like the cookie or the name more!

    Stacybuckeye - They are a delicious treat, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome...that is so wonderful! I think all moms should be able to brag every once in a while:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look wonderful JoAnn, and I bet your kitchen smelled even better! Best of luck to your daughter with her basketball!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Book Psmith - I don't usually carry on like that, but I think this time I was even more excited about the game than she was.

    Darlene - There should probably be a candle with a snickerdoodle scent - they smell so good! There are a couple more basketball games before the holidays, but then we travel to Texas for a tournament between Christmas and New Years.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a nice mom! Snickerdoodles are my all-time favorite. Yum. If you are interested in an easy, so-delicious Christmas bread check this out:

    http://theglasgowclan.blogspot.com/2008/12/christmas-bread.html

    Makes 6 loaves, but we never want to give any away.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kim - I'll definitely be over to check that out! I'm looking for a new Christmas bread-type recipe to make and share.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kim - Your recipe looks delicious! I'd like to try it this year, but one question. Do you know how much butter is in a "cube"?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails