Friday, October 23, 2009

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague
by Geraldine Brooks
Penguin Books, 2001
304 pages

My book club is reading Geraldine Brooks in November. She is the next speaker for the Rosamond Gifford Lecture Series and, rather than reading a specific book, members are choosing one of her many works to read in preparation. Several of Brooks novels sounded interesting, but my choice was made based solely on availability. Year of Wonders was purchased for a dollar at last summer's library book sale.

This historical novel takes place in 1665-1666, during The Great Plague. The Plague travels from London, via a bolt of fabric, to an isolated mountain village. The villagers, under the influence of their young minister, make the extraordinary decision to quarantine themselves in hopes of preventing further spread of the disease. The story is told by Anna Frith, a housemaid to the minister and his wife.

As every household is affected by Plague, Anna and the minister's wife Eleanor, tend the sick and attempt to comfort the living. Faith begins to weaken, and the villagers resort to every means imaginable, including murderous witch-hunting, in an attempt to banish the disease. Anna faces death in her own family, yet emerges as a strong heroine. Though the subject matter is grim, to say the least, Anna's strength of character and resolve are truly memorable.

The story is based around actual events and the tremendous amount of research involved is plainly evident. Although historical fiction has not been one of my preferred genres, I enjoyed this book very much and now plan to include more in my reading.

A little background information will also be helpful before hearing Brooks speak next month. She began her career as a journalist, and was a correspondent at the Wall Street Journal for eleven years. Her first two books, Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women (1994) and Foreign Correspondence: A Penpal’s Journey from Down Under to All Over (1995) are nonfiction.

Brooks then turned her attention to fiction. Year of Wonders, her debut novel of 2001, was a Notable Book of the Year for The New York Times. Her second novel, March, was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 2006. People of the Book is Brooks' latest novel, published in January 2008. It was an instant best-seller and won both the Australian Book of the Year Award and the Australian Literary Fiction Award in 2008.

Born and raised in Australia, Brooks lives with her husband, Tony Horwitz, and their sons in Massachusetts. Much more information can be found on her website. The Rosamond Gifford Lecture series continues on November 9.

(photo by Randi Baird)


8 comments:

  1. I've got this book on my shelf and would love to get to it soon. I hope you and your book club enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I'm going to check it out again from the library sometime and read it!! I listened to her being interviewed on Book Lust and really enjoyed her voice and what she had to talk about. I'm a tad green with envy that you get to see her IRL!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dar - This is great historical fiction! Can't wait to see what other group members read.

    Staci - Oh, I haven't heard her voice! There were some links to interviews on her website...think I'll click on over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved People of the Book. This one has apparently been on my pile for some time (lent by someone) :S Guess I'll have to move it up. Can't wait to hear what you and your group have to say about Ms. Brooks after the lecture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this! I'm a big Geraldine Brooks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DS - Several people have recommended People of the Book. It's now officially on my list! Can't wait to hear her speak...

    Marie - Which of her books do you think I should read next? I might have time for one more before our meeting/lecture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why, oh why do I read reviews when I have so much reading to do as it is? This sounds wonderful Joann, right up my street.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darlene - I often ask myself the same question! So many good books out there...what's a blogger to do??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails