Saturday, October 31, 2009

RIP IV Challenge Wrap-Up

Happy Halloween! Before I don my black cape, witch's hat, and pick up my broom to head out for some spooky fun, it's time to wrap up the RIP IV Challenge. Since horror is a genre I usually steer clear of, it was a relief to learn the challenge included mystery, thriller, suspense, and gothic.

Peril the Third was my chosen level of participation. It asked that you simply test the water by reading one book from any of the subgenres mentioned. I love sensation novels and chose to read The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. You can find my review here.

I was also tempted by the Short Story Peril. All stories came from The Virago Book of Ghost Stories and were posted for Short Story Monday. You may click on the title to read my post.

"The Old Nurse's Story" by Elizabeth Gaskell
"The Villa Lucienne" by Ella D'Arcy
"The Station Road" by Ann Bridge
"Roaring Tower" by Stella Gibbons
"Redundant" by Dorothy K. Haynes

Thanks so much, Carl, for hosting this challenge. I had a great time and have already started a list for RIP V!

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing the challenge and on reading so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done. I'm looking forward to next year's challenge, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Halloween to you and congratulations on finishing. This challenge was a lot of fun to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a fun challenge, and I enjoyed reading your posts (The Virago Book of Ghost Stories is a must read, thanks to you!). Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth F - Thanks, this is a great challenge.

    Softdrink - There will be more Wilkie Collins for me next year.

    Book Psmith - I had such a good time with the ghost stories! Maybe all Wharton and James next year...

    DS - Thank you so much. I really enjoyed the short stories will definitely include that 'peril' next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on completing the challenge. I did too. I look forward to it every year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done JoAnn! I've learned that I'm rubbish at challenges but the few scary shorts that I did manage to read were great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was such an awesome challenge. I will be preparing for the next one. I had way too many scary books to read just for this two month period! You have a great list of books. I especially loved the short stories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane - Thanks, this is one challenge I'll definitely participate in again!

    Darlene - I think I'm developing a love/hate relationship with challenges. They are fun, but I really need to keep the number low so I'm not overwhelmed.

    Sandy - The short stories were my favorite part this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did such a great job on this challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Staci - Thanks, this challenge was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gautami - Thanks, it sure was!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails