Saturday, October 24, 2009

TSS: The Day After

Good morning. Is anybody out there today? It's "the day after" and I suspect many bloggers will be ignoring both books and computers today as they recover from the read-a-thon. Since it coincided with Parent's Weekend at my daughter's college, I missed out on the fun.

It's been a good reading week. As you can tell from my Short Story Monday post, I'm still enjoying The Virago Book of Ghost Stories. Look for the final installment tomorrow!

I finally finished The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. It was a real page-turner, but seems like it took forever to complete. A popular blogger choice of late, I'm struggling to come up with 'an angle'. Hopefully inspiration will strike and there will be a post toward the end of the week.

My review of Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks was posted on Friday. She is the next speaker at the Rosamond Gifford Lecture Series, and my book club is preparing for her talk.

On the audio front, I've listened to the first couple CD's of Great Expectations (in the car) and am thinking about downloading an additional title to my ipod for walking. Do you ever have two audiobooks in progress?

And finally...the latest issue of Bookmarks magazine arrived in my mailbox last week. No fewer than fifteen books have been added to my wish list as a result, including:

Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh
A Happy Marriage by Rafael Yglesias
Love and Summer by William Trevor

After my walk today, I'll be choosing another story from The Virago Book of Ghost Stories and then starting We Have Always Lived In the Castle by Shirley Jackson.

Will you be reading or recovering today?


14 comments:

  1. I'll get some reading done today, as a reward for correcting some school work.

    The Housekeeper and the Professor was absolutely wonderful, I'd recommend that go near the top of your list. Love and Summer was good as well, but didn't make as much of an impression.

    I still want to read The Woman in White.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sea of Poppies is awesome! I will be recovering today. We'll see how much, if any, reading gets done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound like good choices. I have been reading today, and I didn't participate in the Read-a-Thon. Next time!

    My Sunday Salon post is here:

    http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm here!

    I went to bed around 1:00 woke up at 10:00. I'd say I'm pretty recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to your review on Woman in White as I am still on the fence about reading it. More than likely I will save it for next October. I am here with a my coffee all recovered and will definitely be reading. I left A Christmas Carol in the middle because I couldn't keep my eyes open but I am ready for it now:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't feel so bogged down this time as I only got to spend 6 hours reading (because of the kids!). In fact, I want to read more! I remember last time I didn't want to read for days.

    Sea of Poppies is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raidergirl3 - The Housekeeper and The Professor was already on my radar before the mention in Bookmarks. I think I will put it close to the top!

    Reviewsbylola - I remember reading about Sea of Poppies on one of my first visits to your blog! Hope you get plenty of time to relax and recover today.

    Laurel-Rain Snow - We can both be newbies at the read-a-thon next time around!

    E.L. Fay - Glad you're recovered already. There's not much a good nine hours of sleep won't cure ;-)

    Book Psmith - I really liked The Woman in White, but there have been so many reviews lately I can't think of what I can possibly add. Hopefully something will come to me. I'm trying to remember if you've read Collins before.

    Claire - Well, at least it wasn't reading overload this time ;-) I hope to read Sea of Poppies this winter and am glad to hear you liked it. I think our taste in books is similar;

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to see you (and everyone else) has seemed to enjoy Woman in White. I have to get to this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you had a great time with your daughter this weekend, though you were missed during the read-athon! I am distressed by the fact that so many of you have received your new Bookmarks magazine. I can't figure out where mine is as I usually get it around the 16th of the month. Hmmmm...I am feeling cheated! ;)
    Happy Monday-
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diane -The Woman in White is pure plot...a great page-turner! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

    Kim - We had a great visit with our daughter! She is so happy at college - it was a the perfect choice for her. I hope nothing happened to your Bookmarks magazine ...did the subscription run out?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I need to click on over and get my subscription to Bookmarks. So many bloggers love it. Didn;t you love The Woman in White?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Frances - You *definitely* need a subscription to Bookmarks magazine! I loved The Woman in White - great plot, great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read Collins...yet. I should have added him to the awesome authors challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Book Psmith - You've already chosen some great authors for that challenge. How about Collins for RIP next year? That's really planning ahead;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails