Friday, December 13, 2013

The TBR Triple Dog Dare



It's coming…

The TBR Triple Dog Darehosted once again by James of Ready When You Are, C.B., begins January 1, 2014. The rules are simple:  read only books in your TBR pile or on your library reserve list as of January 1, 2014 for the entire months of January, February, and March. 

I always love this dare and even though I fell off the wagon early last time, many favorite books read in 2013 came from my TBR pile. Again this year, I will make exceptions for book club selections, but haven't decided about library reserves yet. I'm considering suspending all holds until April 1.

For the last several years, I've gone on book buying binges prior to beginning the dare. This year, thanks to amazon's kindle daily deals and 12 Days of Deals, my binge has been entirely electronic (and much less expensive). Over the last few weeks I've added quite a few titles to my kindle library including:
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
The India Fan by Victoria Holt
Letters to Alice by Fay Weldon
Imperial Women by Pearl S. Buck
Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers
The Gravity of Birds by Tracy Guzman
Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
The Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
With another week of deals from amazon, it's possible this list may grow. When combined with titles already on my kindle, it's entirely possible I could spend three months reading exclusively ebooks.

But that won't happen because…



…I've also gathered a pile from my shelves. These books are calling to me right now, but who knows what I'll want to read in March? From the bottom:
Abide with Me by Elizabeth Strout
Them by Joyce Carol Oates
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
The Gathering by Anne Enright
Old Filth by Jane Gardam
A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick
The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud
The Lost Daughter by Elena Ferrante
A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry
They Were Sisters by Dorothy Whipple
Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann
Villette by Charlotte Bronte
The Pursuit of Love/Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford
The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt
The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar
Wild Strawberries by Angela Thirkell
We'll see how things stand on April Fool's Day. Are you in?




28 comments:

  1. I'd have to get a special dispensation for library books, so, sadly no. But that's not to say, looking at my bookshelves, that I shouldn't be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey - James will allow any library books already on hold by Jan 1 ;-)

      Delete
  2. I am so in! I've ordered a few in the last couple of days, and requested a couple of inter-library loan books - and I'm hoping for one particular book for Christmas. But after that, it's TBR all the way. I'll be cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - And I'll be cheering you on, too. This is such a great event!

      Delete
  3. What a tempting challenge. I may not join as I can't guarantee I'd stick to the rules. Have fun with your TBR pile!

    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee - I will, thanks. Let's hope I can do better this time ;-)

      Delete
  4. I'm always in for this challenge. The best one out there, in my opinion. I get SO overwhelmed at what I want to read that is sitting right in front of me, and this is such a good thing to help me focus my energies. My problem is that I also binge buy right before year end. It is so much fun though :)

    Just FYI, TFIOS is so totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy - I don't really do challenges, but this is just irresistible! Can't wait to read TFIOS.

      Delete
  5. You have really great books in these piles, some I've read and some I want to read. I like your idea of shopping in prep for the challenge. I might 'steal' this idea ;o) I'm glad you signed up for this challenge. I will be, sooner rather than later so I don't forget! A few of the books in your stack will be in mine, too..The Gathering, They Were Sisters, The Fault in Our Stars...I'm getting very excited for this challenge.yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy - I think that shopping before hand kind of defeats the purpose, but it's just so much fun! Will look forward to seeing what you hope to read over the next few months :)

      Delete
  6. Good luck! I thought about it but, like Audrey, I need my library therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, JoAnn,
    Yes, I'm doing the Triple Dog Dare with my gargantuan TBR pile. I may stray once or thrice with a new 2014 title, but that's it.
    Victoria Holt!! I've never read The India Fan, though I've consumed nearly everything else the author wrote under this name.

    I *think* I'll be reading The Goldfinch next year, though I have trepidations. I was so enthralled by The Secret History that I'm actually afraid to read The Goldfinch. Don't know when I've experienced that before with an author or a book.
    I'll look forward to following you as you embark on your TDD adventure.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that I read Villette my senior year in college for a Charlotte Bronte project I did for my "The English Novel" class. Loved it!

      Delete
    2. Oh! I forgot another V.I.B. (Very Important Book). I think that Claire Messud's The Emperor's Children is one of my 5-10 favorite titles of the last ten years. So many levels and deeper depths. I must reread it.

      Delete
    3. Judith - Glad to know you'll be participating in the TBR Dare, too! It's always so much fun. I've never read Victoria Holt, but it looks like 2014 will finally be the year. As far as The Goldfinch goes, early reviews look very promising. I'm relieved because The Secret is one my favorites, too. Villette may be my next book for The Classics Club. Can't wait to read The Emperor's Children… The Woman Upstairs was a favorite this year. It's going to be an interesting three months for sure!

      Delete
  8. Love your tbr pile! I would recommend the Claire Messud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vintage Reading - I picked up The Emperor's Children at a used book sale earlier this year (shortly after reading The Woman Upstairs), and look forward to reading it this winter.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for helping us plug the TBR Triple Dog Dare this year.

    I have also been on something of a buying binge. And the Daily Deal at Amazon is killing me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James - Oh, that daily deal at amazon is getting expensive! I finally got myself a $25 gift card so I wouldn't have all those $1.99 and $2.99 charges on my credit card, but that's only made it easier to "buy with 1-click".

      Delete
  10. I love the look of your reading pile! I fail this event every year but I'm still going to join in. Good luck!

    I'm so glad you're enjoying Julia Child Rules! It's one of my favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vasilly - I'm loving Julia Child Rules, but given all the holiday craziness it may take me the rest of the year to finish!

      Delete
  11. I really like this idea and I certainly have more than enough to keep me going! We'll see... You have some great books waiting for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlottereadsclassics - Even if I fall off the wagon once or twice, this is still great fun!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails