Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Tuesday Intro: Tell the Wolves I'm Home


My sister, Greta and I were having our portrait painted by our uncle Finn that afternoon because he knew he was dying. This was after I understood that I wasn't going to grow up and movie into his apartment and live there with him for the rest of my life. After I stopped believing that the AIDS thing was all some kind of big mistake. When he first asked, my mother said no. She said there was something macabre about it. When she thought of the two of us sitting in Finn's apartment with its huge windows and the scent of lavender and orange, when she thought of him looking at us like it might be the last time he would see us, she couldn't bear it. And, she said, it was a long drive from northern Westchester all the way into Manhattan. She crossed her arms over her chest, looked right into Finn's bird-blue eyes, and told him it was just hard to find the time these days.
"Tell me about it," he said.
That's what broke her.
Tell the Wolves I'm Home 
by Carol Rifka Brunt

After my misstep with The Lowlands last week (which I plan to read after the holidays), I borrowed the kindle edition of Tell the Wolves I'm Home  from the library and read half of it over the weekend… it's wonderful! Told from the perspective of a 15 year old girl, it takes us back to that scary time in the 1980's when AIDS deaths were sky-rocketing and our understanding of the disease was in its infancy. I'm not sure whether it's actually categorized as a Young Adult novel, but I'm considering it my annual foray into that area.

What do you think of the opening? Would you keep reading?


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book she decided to read based on the opening. Feel free to grab the banner and play along.

40 comments:

  1. I am impressed that it is an AIDS book, I am very curious about this one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila - It's an interesting look at the relationships and secrets surrounding an AIDS death, too.

      Delete
  2. I like the opening...I would definitely continue reading. I remember this book getting lots of good press when it was first published.

    My Tuesday intro: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/12/first-chapter-first-paragraph-42.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine - I think it might be a good book club selection, too.

      Delete
  3. You had me at the scene the mother imagined of the girls sitting in Finn's apartment, with him looking at them as if it would be the last time he saw them...so emotional. And I do remember the terrifying 80's, not that the specter of the disease isn't still frightening....Yes, I'd keep reading.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain Snow - Yes, it's definitely still a frightening disease, but I think we've come a long way since the 80's. The book is wonderful!

      Delete
  4. I've heard this book was excellent. I've just put it on hold at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat - I should finish this week… will be curious to hear what you think.

      Delete
  5. It's so nice to see a YA novel that isn't "dystopian" or whatever that term is -- it's no fun buying books for kids now, at least for me. I like the opening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey - I HATE dystopian novels (and never got the vampire fascination either)… probably the reason I read so little YA stuff.

      Delete
  6. hmmm . . . I'm sitting on the fence with this one. I'll watch for your review. Kelley at the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelley - Have a feeling I'll end up giving this one a pretty high rating.

      Delete
  7. I don't think I'd keep reading. It sounds like it might be too sad for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol - It does seem to be a bit of a downer, but I can't stop reading!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like an emotional read. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne - Yes, it's definitely an emotional read!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a moving story. I'd read on...

    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed this one! It's one I have my eye on and am thinking of reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literary Feline - 3/4 finished now… and it's still wonderful!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Nise' - I think excellent will be my final verdict, too!

      Delete
  12. I read this earlier this year. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure if it is YA or not. It sure isn't written like one (or at least the typical ones that seem dumbed down). It is some of the most gorgeous writing, beautifully drawn characters. Definitely a favorite this year, despite the dire topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy - You're right… this isn't like typical YA writing. I'm thinking of it that way because it's told from the point of view of a teen, but that does;t necessarily make it so.

      Delete
  14. Wonderful intro, awesome book - loved it. enjoy.

    Thanks for joining us this week; I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - This will end up in my 'loved it' category as well.

      Delete
  15. I have been wanting to read it, actually listen to it, for a while. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma - Sandy mentioned the audio in a comment on my Sunday Salon post this week… check out what she said.

      Delete
  16. I absolutely adored this book! Reading the intro again is making me want to pick it up all over again - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon - It's an amazing book… one I'll definitely be recommending!

      Delete
  17. Wow - I can feel all the emotion with just one paragraph. I hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot - I'm enjoying it very much and will probably recommend it to my book club.

      Delete
  18. I would definitely keep reading! Thanks for putting this one on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy - You're welcome. This book has been on my radar most of the year… so glad to finally pick it up!

      Delete
  19. Wow this first paragraph is heart-stirring. Most intriguing to prod one to read on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arti- I finished the book last night… so good!

      Delete
  20. I read this one and loved it! So heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa - Definitely heartbreaking, but I loved it, too!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails