Saturday, April 13, 2013

Weekend Cooking: New to the Dinner Rotation

I am addicted to Pinterest. It provides an unending source of inspiration - beautiful rooms, crafts, bookish fun, fashion, and primarily, food. My morning computer routine begins with a check of news, email, facebook, twitter, and now Pinterest. The kitchen is full of cookbooks, of course, but there's nothing like that Pinterest feed for instant dinner ideas. I like to try at least one new recipe every week, and my family willingly puts up with the experimentation. The occasional failure is inevitable, but overall they've been pretty happy.

Here are a few recent winners that have earned spots in my permanent recipe collection (all photos from Pinterest):

Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken 
I've already made this simple, delicious dish twice. Twin B loved it so much, she requested it for her birthday dinner. The recipe from Tracey's Culinary Adventures is perfect - I can't remember the last time I haven't tweaked just a little. Plus, it uses ingredients I always have on hand. My pin is here.

Pistachio Lime Baked Salmon
This recipe, adapted from Taste of Home 5 Ingredient Recipes, came from Reluctant Entertainer. It was very easy to prepare, but a little too sweet for my taste. I'll definitely reduce the amount of brown sugar next time. Pistachios are a favorite, but this may be the first time I've used them in a main dish. Sandy warns against overcooking the salmon... be sure to heed her advice! My pin is here.

New Orleans Barbeque Shrimp
Preparing shrimp is quick and easy, and I could eat it every night of the week. You will always find a bag of shrimp in my freezer, at least one beer in the refrigerator, and the rest of the ingredients are pantry staples. A perfect last-minute dinner solution, this recipe from Allrecipes.com is a keeper. Here is my pin.

Grandma's Chicken Chardon
Here's another recipe from Allrecipes.com. Boneless chicken breasts are coated with a parmesan/bread crumb mixture and baked over mushrooms. I used half panko breadcrumbs (would have used panko exclusively, but I ran out) and baby bella mushrooms. My daughters and I loved it, but my husband thought it was a little bland... maybe a little pepper would have helped. My pin is here.

Do you regularly try new recipes? What has been your most memorable recent success... or failure?


Weekend Cooking, hosted at Beth Fish Reads, is open to anyone who has a food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up over the weekend.

43 comments:

  1. Oh my...they all look good.
    I really have to figure this Pinning thing out...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caite - Pinterest is addicting... consider yourself warned!

      Delete
  2. Provided I have the time and few distractions, I really enjoy trying out new recipes. Lately I've been experimenting with lentils, so last weekend I tried a new vegetable soup and a new recipe of apple crisp. Both were fairly delicious.

    Happy eating! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana - I love lentils in soups and stews, but also have a recipe for lentil sloppy joes (an open-faced sandwich) that is delicious. Apple crisp is always a favorite!

      Delete
  3. My daughter is just like you! She has gleaned (is that the right word?) lots of recipes from P. Such fun. I am not a member but happily I can look through and find lots of house and food inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan - You're probably better off not joining Pinterest. ALthough I love it, it is just one more internet time drain. :-(

      Delete
  4. I just repinned that sesame chicken recipe, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Off to pin the slow cooker recipe. Looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the sesame chicken looks sublime and I must try it very soon! I do like to try new recipes - today I made caramel sauce to go over ice cream for the first time. Thankfully, it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those all look so good. We tend to stick to a tried and true repertoire, but it's fun to mix it up once in awhile.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy - Having a string of new recipe successes makes me more adventurous, but I back off after a failure or two.

      Delete
  8. Oh yum. I agree about pinterest, I'm hooked. It's such a great way to remember things for later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sprungatlast - Pinterest has helped me cut down on recipe printing and clipping. It's much easier having them online in one spot!

      Delete
  9. I frequently try new recipes. The hummus soup I tried this week was too flavourless. I added more tahini and it improved, but not enough to make again. I am still loving the garlicky shrimp tortilini that I found on Weekend Cooking a few months back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather - I still have to try that garlicky shrimp tortellini! Glad you hear you love the recipe, too.

      Delete
  10. I will give the salmon and shrimp dishes a try. They sound and look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rikki - I've been trying a lot of new seafood recipes lately. Hope these turn out for you.

      Delete
  11. These all look good. I would likely cut some of the sweeteners in the honey chicken and salmon just because we are not huge sweet eaters. I use pistachios every once in a while in a savory dish; they're so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth F - It's hard to balance the sweetness level around here... Twin B loves sweet, but my husband really doesn't. The happy medium is elusive!

      Delete
  12. I'm so tempted by all these slow cooker recipes. I've always thought of them as another big kitchen thing I'd have to find room for, but still... Thank you again, btw, for enabling my own addiction to Pinterest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey - I know what you mean! My bread machine just takes up space (I really should use it more often), and I got rid of the pasta maker. My slow cookers, however, are kitchen essentials.

      Delete
  13. I'm all over that slow cooker recipe. Except let me just say here that my All Clad slow cooker insert was flaking so I sent it back to get a new one and hmmm...apparently they are backordered on the thing for like 6 months. So now I don't have a slow cooker, which I once used weekly. I'm out of my mind. I'm going to maybe try to make it in a pot in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy - You STILL don't have your slow cooker back?? I would be lost...

      Delete
  14. These all sound like keepers. I try new recipes a few times a month, but I have steadfastly avoided getting hooked on Pinterest so far. Post like yours keep luring me in...

    ReplyDelete
  15. They ALL look so good. Which one should I start with? I'm going to follow your food boards for more great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear JoAnn. I may have laughed out loud when I read that very first opening line. Ha!! I almost repinned the chicken cordon bleu until you mentioned that your hub found it bland. Scott's #1 complaint with chicken is that it doesn't have enough flavor so I'm guessing that unless I did some tweaking this wouldn't be a keeper. I DID repin the sesame chicken, though. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish - You know I hold you totally responsible for this, right? ;-)

      Delete
  17. I love to try pinterest recipes! I do always find good inspiration and I've been successful in recreating them. Thanks for these new suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peaceful Reader - You're welcome. Let me know if you decide to try any of them.

      Delete
  18. It's almost lunch here and now I'm really hungry. Lol. The shrimp and chicken look divine! I love to go through recipes and find new things to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar - Ugh oh, sorry to make you hungry ;-)

      Delete
  19. My daughter has been contributing recipes to our rotation, courtesy of Pinterest. I printed out the bbq shrimp dish--that looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JaneGS - My daughter has been baking from Pinterest lately... delicious, but dangerous.

      Delete
  20. I love your new routine because you always pin great recipes. I'm going to check out two of them and put them into my rotation next week!! I just happen to have the bag of shrimp in the freezer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci - I just pinned a few more that look interesting this morning ;-)

      Delete
  21. Thanks, JoAnn! I've repinned all but the last of these four recipes. I'm always anxious to try out 1-2 new recipes every week, but the only way I'll ever get to any of my Pinterest recipes is if I print them out as soon as I pin them. Otherwise, I never go back and look at them! I try so hard to stay away from Pinterest. Too much of a time suck! I'll let ya know how these turn out. We love shrimp & salmon and have them both at least a couple of times a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - Oh, I know what you mean about Pinterest being a time suck, but I really try to limit time spent there. I take a quick look at my boards as I plan my menus and like to include something new each week. Can't wait to hear how these turn out - I will cut the sugar by at least half next time I make the salmon.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails