Monday, November 26, 2012

Monday Musing: And I'm Back..



Hello everyone! It's Monday morning, the long holiday weekend is behind us, and I'm trying hard to regroup and organize for what's left of 2012.

First a quick recap of the holiday week:

Tuesday was filled with last minute shopping, pre-cooking anything possible, setting the table (only 17 this year), and completing two Pin It and Do It projects.

Wednesday - Drove 3 1/2 hours to Twin A's college, listening to The Tenant of Wildfell Hall all the way and, for the life of me, I can't figure out why Anne is the least popular Brontë. Caught up with Twin A on the drive home, arriving just in time for slow cooker chicken cacciatore courtesy of Daughter #1. Turkey brining process begins.

Thursday - THE BIG DAY - a Thanksgiving Day celebration with family and food, ending with a favorite movie or two (it's still awkward to watch Animal House with your mother even after you're grown!) This is Twin A 's dessert photo collage.



Friday - Packed up all the leftovers and headed to my sister's for more family fun. So happy my brother and his family from Philly planned an extended visit. I also discovered the pleasures of a chocolate martini!

Saturday - A quick shopping trip with Daughter #1 before the annual Family Christmas Party. With over 30 members of our extended clan present, including most of my cousins, the Yankee Swap is always the highlight.

Sunday began with a trip to the Christmas tree farm. After what seemed to be a shorter than normal search, we cut down the perfect tree. It will be at least a week before we bring it inside and decorate. Then it was off to the movies to see Lincoln, but we were shut out. It sold out just moments before our arrival. We decided to have an early dinner at a favorite local tavern instead, then back home to finish laundry and help daughters pack for their early morning departure.

And here we are... the washing machine is spinning, the dryer is running, the dishwasher is on its second cycle, the refrigerator is empty, and I'm making a grocery list. How many days until Christmas?

On the reading front:
I am thoroughly enjoying The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.... far more than either Jane Eyre (which I really must reread soon) or Wuthering Heights. Why is Anne the lesser Bronte? I definitely need to read more of them all.

I started Without Reservations by Alice Steinbach on the recommendation of a book club friend.  It is definitely hitting the mark.

I hope to finish Comet's Tale by Steven Wolf later today. It's due back at the library and I wasn't sure I'd be able to read it in time. A gentle nudge from Candace at Beth Fish Reads convinced me it was doable.... besides, what self- respecting greyhound owner could pass this up? I recognize many common greyhound quirks and characteristics, but think Comet may be a little smarter than our hound. Sorry, Zelda!

As for the rest of the year, I'm seriously considering finishing these three books and devoting December to Clarissa.... my guilt is getting the better of me! Do you have year-end reading plans?

23 comments:

  1. I don't think Anne Bronte gets nearly enough love. She's so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audra - I will definitely be reading more of Anne!

      Delete
  2. Glad you're finding time for Comet! You've been busy, busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth F - Comet has been a nice diversion during a crazy weekend :-)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - Tenant of Wildfell Hall is by far my favourite Brontë! And I would vote for Clarissa in December - I've just finished the may letters and they are really good - am surprised at how quickly I've got back into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlottereadsclassics - Although I haven't finished yet, Tenant is close to being declared my favorite Bronte, too. Hope I can get back into Clarissa as easily as you have!

      Delete
  5. The Tenant is my favourite Bronte too and I think sister Charlotte's refusal to allow it's republication is why it remained for a long time less well-known.
    Good luck with Clarissa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat - I will need to read a good bio of the Bronte sisters in 2013. Any recommendations?

      Delete
  6. What a fun holiday week!

    Alice Steinbach is a fabulous travel writer! She has another book...Educating Alice. I wish she had more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Softdrink - Steinbach is a wonderful travel writer! I'm adding Educating ALice to my wishlist even though I have barely begun No Reservations... such a great book.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday! Looking forward to your reviews on the books you have been reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen - I'm going to try and write a series of very brief reviews. That way I can get through them all before the end of the year!

      Delete
  8. I'm tired just reading of your whirlwind holiday week. Sounded perfect though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - I feel like I need a vacation to recover from the holiday, lol! It was an excellent week.

      Delete
  9. No more reading plans for me. I'm just living book to book. :<)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan - After I finish Clarissa (fingers crossed next month), I may start living book to book, too!

      Delete
  10. Whew! I'd need a day or two to rest up after a weekend like that. Sounds like you had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nise' - We really did! I love our Thanksgiving holiday :-)

      Delete
  11. My gosh, your dessert selections rival those at my mom's! Chocolate martini? Nom, nom - I do love me a chocolate martini.

    Glad to hear you had such a great holiday week and got to spend so much time with family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa -The desserts got totally out of hand this year... it's not always like that ;-)

      Delete
  12. Love the dessert photos!! Sounds like a great time was had by all last week!!! I have Anne's book and I need to read it. Makes you wonder why she wasn't as popular as her other two siblings. I have to finish Jane Eyre and then I will read Tenant. I'm not really planning anything for the last month of 2012, but I am thinking about 2013 and how free I feel to not be doing review books. I have committed to only 12 for the year and already have 2 of those slots taken!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci - I'm going to finish Tenant of Wildfell Hall tonight, and am already certain it will be my new favorite Bronte novel. Will need to reread Jane Eyre in 2013!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails