Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Thoughts on WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IS IN THE LIBRARY by Michiko Aoyama


by Michiko Aoyama, translated by Alison Watts
Hanover Square Press, 2023
304 pages

Harlequin Audio, 2023
narrated by  Hanako Footman, Susan Momoko Hingley, 
Kenichiro Thomson, Winson Ting, Shiro Kawai
7 hours ad 19 minutes



Summary (from goodreads):

What are you looking for?
This is the famous question routinely asked by Tokyo’s most enigmatic librarian, Sayuri Komachi. Like most librarians, Komachi has read every book lining her shelves—but she also has the unique ability to read the souls of her library guests. For anyone who walks through her door, Komachi can sense exactly what they’re looking for in life and provide just the book recommendation they never knew they needed to help them find it.

Each visitor comes to her library from a different juncture in their careers and dreams, from the restless sales attendant who feels stuck at her job to the struggling working mother who longs to be a magazine editor. The conversation that they have with Sayuri Komachi—and the surprise book she lends each of them—will have life-altering consequences.

With heartwarming charm and wisdom, What You Are Looking For Is in the Library  is a paean to the magic of libraries, friendship and community, perfect for anyone who has ever found themselves at an impasse in their life and in need of a little inspiration.


My thoughts:

This is one of those books that keeps getting better the more I think about it!

Like No Two Persons  by Erica Bauermeister, it's told in a series of connected stories - a format which continues to grow on me. Instead of focusing on each character's relationship with a book as No Two Persons, the stories in What You Are Looking For Is in the Library are told from the viewpoint of various library patrons contemplating a new path forward in life. The common denominator is Ms. Komachi, a reference librarian with an uncanny ability to perceive what each patron is truly searching for. Along with a list of books pertaining to their specific query, she also recommends one seemingly off-beat selection which ultimately provides direction and clarity. 

In addition to Ms. Komachi, other characters also appear in multiple stories. This helps tie the novel together and also provides the reader with slightly different perspectives. I really enjoyed my time spent with this short novel.

The audio, available on hoopla, is very well done and has a a different narrator for each story. It added to both the atmosphere of the novel and my overall reading experience.

Highly recommended   
⭐⭐⭐⭐





18 comments:

  1. This sounds great, JoAnn. The perfect librarian matched up with the perfect library. I like the plot and the structure, so I hope to grab a copy somewhere soon. It's amazing how many books a novel like this one can lead to a person reading by creating what eventually seems like an unending chain of books, one leading to the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - Both the plot and structure really appealed to me, too. What's not to love, right? There is even a list of the books recommended by Ms. Komachi at the end!

      Delete
  2. I have the audio and plan to read it as soon as I finish Tom Lake. Your review makes me want to listen faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - The audio definitely added to the atmosphere... and it's pretty short, too! Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. I took this out of the library (!) but am involved in a long book, and didn't get a chance to read it. But I definitely want to, especially from reading this!! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan - It really is a delightful little book... hope you can check it out again!

      Delete
  4. I loved this one too, it’s so full of heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - That's the perfect way to describe it... full of heart!

      Delete
  5. Excellent review! I loved this book and when you mentioned Bauermeister's book No Two Persons I thought that was a great comparison. I am on to a mystery right now by Jo Spain, an author I've never read. When we went to Nebraska last week I took my Kindle and thought I'd read something on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. I kept thinking of No Two Persons the whole time I was reading and that format really is growing on me. Hope you had (are still having?) a wonderful time in Nebraska. It's starting to look like we won't get back to FL until after the holidays... two family weddings and then, since one daughter can't fly with her dog, she wants us to spend Christmas in CT.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely loved this book and am so glad you enjoyed it! I really liked seeing the characters from the other stories in each story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - So did I... it's like running into a friend!

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful premise! I love the idea of going to my local library and the librarian knowing just what I need. Talk about no reading slumps and getting your life on a good path all at once

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - Wouldn't that be amazing?? I couldn't resist a book with this kind of premise.

      Delete
  8. I guess all I need to do is decide whether to read the print copy or get the audio! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep seeing this in the bookstore and the cover makes it so tempting . . . I am sure I will cave and get it one of this visits! I am glad you liked it, JoAnn. I think I will too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy - I can't imagine any reader or library lover NOT enjoying this book!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails