Thursday, June 18, 2020

Quick Thoughts on Four Recent Reads



All Adults Here by Emma Straub

Three for three! I've read three Emma Straub novels and they've all been winners. This contemporary family drama primarily focuses on the relationships between a mother and her three adult children. It's a quick, enjoyable read that also gives you plenty to think about. Be sure to add The Vacationers  and Modern Lovers to your list, too.  I'll continue to read anything Straub writes.






by Mary Pipher, narrated by Suzanne Toren

Mary Pipher, best known for Reviving Ophelia, now offers a "timely examination of the cultural and developmental issues women face as they age." I thought this was an interesting and engaging audio, but didn't find much in the way of new information or ideas.







A gem you can read in 20 minutes! I had this on my library hold list before everything shut down and was surprised when it appeared in my curbside pickup bag. Charlie Mackesy presents the reader with simple, life-affirming lessons which seem especially valuable during these trying times. My daughter also read it and immediately ordered two copies - one for herself and another for a friend.






Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood

Cat's Eye  and The Robber Bride  are my favorite Margaret Atwood novels... at least that's what I've been saying since the 1990s when I read them. Recently I began to wonder if they'd stood the test of time.

Overall Cat's Eye  was darker, bleaker, slower, and more dense than I remembered. Some sections describing the main character's relationship with her grade school "friends" literally filled me with anxiety and dread. Atwood is a wonderful writer, but this was not a pleasant read. I gave it 5 stars way back when, but it certainly wasn't a 5-star experience this time around. Perhaps it was a bad choice of reading material during difficult times, so I'll wait until things are back to normal before I read The Robber Bride. I liked that one even more and don't want to be disappointed with two old favorites.



24 comments:

  1. I've never read Cat's Eye but dark and bleak is not what I need right now. It's funny because I don't necessarily want fluffy either. I guess, a good balance is needed during a pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti - That's exactly how I feel about my reading now... which made Emma Straub's novel the right book at the right time. Have you read her?

      Delete
  2. I loved The Robber Bride when I read it, which was nearly 20 years ago. I don't remember it as particularly bleak but it's been a long time. I did try to reread The Handmaid's Tale last year after I watched the first series, but had to stop, it was too dire. I gave up watching the series also.

    I also really liked The Blind Assassin which has some fantasy elements in it. That might be a good choice right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - Thanks for the suggestion! I tried to reread The Handmaid's Tale, too, and didn't get very far. Not sure why I've never read The Blind Assassin. Great idea to read now. Hope I can find an ebook and audio at the library.

      Delete
  3. I read Cat's Eye (reviewed here) last month and thought it was pretty engrossing up until the second half. Then it felt like a depressing slog. I've tried many of her books, but I've finally decided that Atwood isn't for me.

    My book club is reading Women Rowing North next month and I'm looking forward to it. I'm sorry you didn't find it more enlightening and hope it has enough meat to promote a good discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - Yup, a depressing slog for sure. I've avoided her more recent sci-fi/dystopian novels, but sure didn't remember this one as being such a downer.

      Women Rowing North was an enjoyable listen (Suzanne Torren was the perfect narrator) but it seemed like I'd heard most of this before. Even though it was not new information, there is still plenty to discuss... especially if most of your bookclub is around our age.

      Delete
  4. Women Rowing North sounds good. I've put The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse on hold at my library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - I'd recommend listening to Women Rowing North. The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse is an absolute delight... I'm sure you'll love it.

      Delete
  5. My coworker loaned me The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse - what a beautiful book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - It really is! I'd like a copy of my own.

      Delete
  6. Emma Straub is a new author to me but based on your recommendations I will add her name to my list. You have given me some great ideas for reading in the past!
    Love Margaret Atwood but I haven't read anythign by her in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina - I hope Emma Straub will be another author you enjoy! It's been years since I last read Atwood, too. Hope I can read The Robber Bride before the end of the year.

      Delete
  7. I was surprised at the books in my first curbside pickup bag from the library. I think I'd forgotten what I'd requested so long ago.

    Glad you enjoyed The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse. I did, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb - I think I may need to buy myself a copy of The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse!

      Delete
  8. Alright, you have almost convinced me to read Emma Straub. I have no reason not to except that I find her off-putting for some reason. Cat's Eye is I think, one of Atwood's most disturbing books. The first time I read it, I marveled at how she described so well things I went through with certain girls in my teens and yet it left me shaken and uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy - Atwood really nailed that preteen/early teen dynamic. I'd forgotten how disturbing it was... brought back some memories for me, too. I'm still looking forward to rereading The Robber Bride, but will wait until later this fall. Hope you decide to give Straub a try.

      Delete
  9. I'm not very sure either if this is a good time to read Margaret Atwood books although I've loved what I've read by her. I'll probably get more anxious though. Times are hard enough.

    Haven't read any of Emma Straub books yet but you have me convinced to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Athira - I've had to be extra careful with my reading selections the past few months. Hope you enjoy Emma Straub, too!

      Delete
  10. I read The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse last month and just absolutely loved it - 5 stars for sure! It was definitely good timing wise to pick it up also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jade - That wAs such a beautiful book! I need to own a copy for myself.

      Delete
  11. Added The Boy the Mole and the Fox with the Horse to my library list! And I've never read Straub. Is this the one to read first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy - All three of the Straub novels I've read have been very good. You might have a harder time getting a copy of this one because it's new. If you're in the mood for an exotic setting, go with The Vacationers. You can't go wrong with Modern Lovers, set in Brooklyn, either.

      Delete
  12. I remember thinking Cat's Eye was a favorite too but it's been so long that I barely remember it. I've always enjoyed Atwood and still have several of her books to read. Definitely need to discover Emma Straub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana - I read a lot of Atwood back then, but haven't read many of her newer dystopian novels. Cat's Eye was SO much darker than I remembered, but I still want to reread The Robber Bride. Hope you get to try one of Emma Straub's books!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails