Thursday, August 2, 2012

Book Sale Bounty


My library hosts a "Friends Preview" the evening before their annual book sale begins. It's almost like a cocktail party with books - supporters have an opportunity to browse and make their selections before the Saturday morning crush, and then relax on the lawn with wine and cheese. This year I was operating under pressure and had just 30 minutes to shop before leaving to meet my daughter at the train station. That was still enough time to fill my bag, but I did miss the glass of wine!
From the top:

Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas
Many of my friends (Staci, Kay and others) have enjoyed her novels, so I'm excited to finally read Sandra Dallas.

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake
This keeps coming up as a possible book club selection, so now I'll be ready.

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson
I enjoyed Behind the Scenes at the Museum several years ago. This has been on my wish list for quite some time.

The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli
This title has been on my iPod for the past year. I'll listen to it eventually, and a print copy will probably come in handy.

The Gathering by Anne Enright
I really enjoyed The Forgotten Waltz and been wanting to read more by Enright. This novel won the 2007 Mann Booker Prize.

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
I've wanted to own a copy of this book ever since I listened to it a few years ago.

44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith
Is it as good as The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency? I'll find out...

I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron
I Feel Bad About My Neck  was a fabulous audiobook. I hope this is good in print.

The Whore's Child by Richard Russo
Richard Russo is a favorite. I'm looking forward to reading this short story collection.

The Clothes They Stood Up In and The Lady in the Van by Alan Bennett
The Clothes They Stood Up In  was wonderful on audio (read by the author). I've been looking for a copy of The Lady in the Van ever since.

Mudbound by Hillary Jordan
This was very popular a couple of years ago. Now I can finally read it, too.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
I've been meaning to read this for years. It might be a good choice for my book club's book-to-film selection.

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
I loved this book, but read a library copy. Now I have one of my own.




48 comments:

  1. Very nice book haul! I see you got a hardback of the Amor Towles too. I remember Mudbound from a few years ago and it is still on my TBR list. So many books I want to read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri B. - I was so happy to find that hardback Rules of Civility - that was my favorite find of the evening!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a nice set of books and they seem to be in very good condition too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee - Almost all of them were in pristine condition - an important consideration for me!

      Delete
  3. Man, you won the lottery. They are all excellent choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many good books, you have some great reading ahead of you! Looking forward to the reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great haul! Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very impressed, considering you only had 30 minutes - and also slightly envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa May - Sometimes I work better under pressure ;-)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Darlene - Now if I could only get a gold medal for reading this month ;-)

      Delete
  8. Good choices. I read at least three, and see two of my wishlist in your possession.

    Loved I Captured the Castle. What a sweet book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda. I'm hoping one of my daughters will read I Capture the Castle as long as it's here on the shelf.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great haul! I loved I Capture the Castle, The Lotus Eaters, and The Postmistress - all great reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie - My mother just borrowed The Postmistress today, so I'll have to wait a little longer, but I'm really looking forward to The Lotus Eaters!

      Delete
  11. Yes, great 'loot'! I've a few of these and have read some. But one book I think is particularly timely, that's Nora Ephron's I Remember Nothing. I read it when it came out a year or so ago and quite enjoyed it. The lady was a great talent. Just so sad she passed away so young, relatively, at 71.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arti - Her passing at such a young age was very sad and, no doubt, behind my purchase of the book. Hope it's as good as I Feel Bad ABout My Neck!

      Delete
  12. You certainly did well in just thirty minutes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb Nance - Sometimes a little pressure can be helpful ;-)

      Delete
  13. So many good ones here...

    Love Richard Russo. Didn't know he wrote short stories though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti - I think this is his first (and only) collection.

      Delete
  14. Ahhh, the only one of these I have read is also the one you have already read -- Rules of Civility. Which I also loved.
    So I can't say anything about these others but WOW -- they all look so good. This is a great haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cipriano - Rules of Civility will probably end up being one of my favorites this year. I hope Amor Towles is busy working on another book - I will read anything he writes!

      Delete
  15. We're reading The Rules of Civility in the library's book group next month. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen K. - My guess is that you will love it. The writing is superb!

      Delete
  16. So many wonderful books! I especially recommend Mudbound and Striped Pyjamas, but many of the others are great too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie. I know I'm going to enjoy both Mudbound and Striped Pajamas - they both sound like good discussion books, too.

      Delete
  17. What wonderful books! I particularly enjoyed The Lotus Eaters, and I have many of those titles on my TBR too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nomadreader - I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed The Lotus Eaters! It will probably end up being a read/listen combo now that I have both available... almost like a total immersion experience!

      Delete
  18. Yay to that edition of I Capture the Castle! I read and re-read this book to spend time in the company of Rose and Cassandra and Topaz. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vintage Reading - I loved I Capture the Castle and can't wait for my next reread. So glad to have my own copy!

      Delete
  19. I loved The Postmistress! I haven't read The Gathering by Anne Enright (it's on the shelf) but I did read a collection of her short stories which I liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booksnyc -The Postmistress comes up over and over again as a book club selection. I'm glad to hear you loved it - I'm pretty sure I will, too!

      Delete
  20. Replies
    1. Carol - I know I will... just need to decide where to start!

      Delete
  21. Wow. Nice haul! I loved Mudbound and The Postmistress. I Remember Nothing is quite good, too. I think I liked I Feel Bad About My Neck more, though. Have to check my reviews. I listened to Tallgrass and enjoyed it, but didn't care for The Boy in Striped Pajamas.

    I haven't been to a library book sale in years. I don't dare, as I still have books I bought at the Fort Worth Library sale back in 2000! Still haven't read 'em! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - I rarely miss our library book sale. My annual goal is to donate more than I buy, and I did it year. Don't feel bad about having unread books from 2000... you are in good company ;-)

      Delete
  22. Score! Loved Case Histories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee - Case Histories is a book everyone seems to love. I can;t wait to read it!

      Delete
  23. My niece raves about I Capture the Castle. One of these days I'll have to read that one. You got some great books, Joanne. A very successful sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kaye. I always find great treasures at our library sale!

      Delete
  24. I am in love with your books!! Tallgrass was wonderful!! i purchased Mudbound from audible.com....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci - I thought of you when I made that purchase! My parents were here for dinner yesterday and my mother took Tallgrass home to read this week.

      Delete
  25. You really got some great books!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails