Sunday, August 23, 2026

The Sunday Salon: August 23, 2026



August is winding down... I'm not even sure how that's possible. We had a nice long weekend visit with my parents last weekend, got to see our new grandniece again (she's two months old and changing so fast!) and spend some time with our kids. We went out to dinner with friends last week and I was even able to spend an afternoon reading in the sunroom on my zero-gravity lounger!


Recent reading//


The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, David Shapard

Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite novels. I'm not sure how many times I've read it, but it's always a delight. This year for Austen in August, I read an annotated edition slowly over three weeks with a group from Modern Mrs. Darcy. Shapard includes many historical facts and illustrations, plus he explains references Austen makes which she would have expected readers of that era to get. Naturally it takes longer to read these annotated editions (this one was 780 pages!) but I settled into a comfortable pattern of reading the notes after every chapter or two. This was my third Shapard-annotated Austen novel and I'm already planning to tackle another next summer.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Current reading//

Jane Austen at Home by Lucy Worsley

I'm wrapping up Austen in August with a biography.


War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

The great read-along continues... 900 pages/70% in and counting!



In the kitchen//


My sister sent me this Baked Pineapple Salmon recipe a couple of years ago, and maybe I've even shared it here before. Since it's easy, delicious, and looks really special on a serving platter (perfect for guests) it's become a favorite.  I made it again a couple of nights ago... increasing the oven temperature to 425 degrees and baking just a little longer.  It's always a winner!

Coming up soon//

We will head to NYC next Sunday to await the birth of our grandson. The current plan calls for our daughter to be induced on Monday 8/31. We were fortunate to find a short-term furnished rental just a block from their apartment and have made arrangements to stay for a month. We can help out as much as needed, plus my husband has always wanted to spend an extended period of time in the City. I've renewed my Met membership and look forward to frequent walks in Central Park! 

Today I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this relentless rain stops soon. One of our favorite local bands is playing in the final outdoor concert of the summer. 🤞🤞🤞

How was your week? What have you been reading?






40 comments:

  1. I hope the rain stops and you can enjoy the concert! Our rain has cleared out and the sun even made an appearance for a while. I hope you enjoy your travels. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy - It stopped raining, the sun came out, and it was a gorgeous evening!

      Delete
  2. Lucy Worsley's usually great, hope you're enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicky - This is my first book by Lucy Worsley and it's very good so far.

      Delete
  3. Oh, how wonderful that you will be right there to help out for a month after the arrival of the grandbaby. What fantastic grandparents you will be! Pride and Prejudice is one of those books that gets better every time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb - This reading of P&P left me feeling more critical of Mr. Bennet and growing impatient with Elizabeth! I focus on something defferent with every reread.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you’ve had a good time travelling lately JoAnn. Best wishes on the upcoming birth. Thanks for sharing the salmon recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jodie. It's going to be a very exciting month!

      Delete
  5. I love the photo of the beach! I'm not a fan of fish but I would love to switch the salmon in that recipe for chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - Those flavors would be delicious with chicken, too!

      Delete
  6. JoAnn, glad you have some nice reading. So excited about your grandbaby coming. Hope all goes well and how nice that you guys will be near during the first month. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay. I'm so happy we can be around for a whole month!

      Delete
  7. Enjoy the arrival of the grandbaby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your time in NYC! And hope everything goes well with the baby!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marg. This is such an exciting time!

      Delete
  9. Your extended stay in the city sounds like it will be so fun - and congrats on the new little grandson!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Lucy Worsley and I have that biography on my TBR. It looks like a good one. Amazing progress on War and Peace! One of these days I'll get up the courage to commit to it. I love the look of the salmon but unfortunately I don't love the flavor of salmon. It's so frustrating because salmon dishes always look the best! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - Do you have other Lucy Worsley titles you'd recommend? As for the salmon, I'm not a huge fan either but know that it's good for you .I usually look for recipes that mask /cut the flavor!

      Delete
  11. I think I only like expensive salmon, but husband doesn't like any salmon, so I mostly only get it at restaurants. However, your salmon looks delicious!
    The month in NYC sounds amazing. Here's hoping all goes on schedule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie - I prefer the expensive salmon, too... it tastes better. Still can't believe the month in NYC is real, but we're so exciting. Only a few more days to go!

      Delete
  12. A month in NYC in the fall sounds perfect! Helping out with grandson as needed and just being there will be precious. Best wishes, and I am looking forward to some posts from the Met!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. We're starting to wonder if she's going to make it to the planned labor induction on Monday, but we'll see. Exciting days ahead!

      Delete
  13. It's hard to believe we're at the end of August! This summer went by so quickly, but I think I've been saying that every year since retirement.

    You're nearing the end of War and Peace! What an accomplishment. I think my next big book will be an annotation of Frankenstein. It's one of my husband's favorite books.

    That salmon recipe looks yummy. I'll give it a try, and might add a mango salsa on the side to go with the pineapple.

    So excited for you to meet your granson at the end of the month!! What fun to spend a month in NYC for all the reasons you mentioned.

    My week was good. We just got back from camping in our new van, and it was great fun. Heading out again in 2 weeks. :) I tweaked my lower back before we left, though, so my workouts have been pretty much nonexistent Went for a long walk today, though, which was nice. I just started the first Emma Lion journal. Feeling it's slow to start, but maybe I'm just tired when I pick it up. Will try to get further along in it this afternoon.

    Can't wait to see those first baby photos! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - I was thinking about Frankenstein for the fall (I've never read it) but decided the timing isn't good. Now I'm just hoping to keep up with W&P through September and October. Anything else will be a bonus!

      So glad the maiden voyage of your new van was a success. Will look forward to hearing more about it... and about the next trip! Sorry to hear about your back and can imagine how great it must have felt to go for a long walk today!

      The first Emma M. Lion book is a little dull. It introduces characters and sets the scene. I gave it 3 stars and wouldn't have felt compelled to continue the series if others hadn't encouraged me. The second book is slightly better (I think vol 1 and 2 should have been a single edition) and the story started to take off in book 3. By the 4th book I became a true fan! When will we get volume 9???

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know your thoughts on the first Emma M. Lion book. I agree that it is a little dull. I'll stick with the books since it seems like everyone loves them. I just can't get over that it's taking me so long to read the first book, which isn't very long at all!

      Delete
    3. Les - I really didn't get what the fuss was about after reading vol 1 and, to a lesser extent, vol 2. Hope you can get through both fo them. Did your mom end up reading all eight?

      Delete
  14. Only a few more days until the birth! It's so wonderful that you are able to be there for a month to help out and bond. What a great thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - Yes, it's so close now.The plan was to induce her on Monday, but now we're hoping she waits until we get there on Sunday!

      Delete
  15. A very exciting month coming up for you! Enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its getting so close to your grandson arriving! You all must be so excited. Great news about the furnished apartment and it will be so much fun to walk around NYC.

    You've had some great books in your lineup. I appreciate your suggestions on the Wolitzer books and as soon as I've wrapped up summer reading I will dive in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina - He was born this morning!! Mom and baby are both fine. I''m thinking they will get discharged on Sunday... hopefully around the time we get to the city. I can't wait!

      Delete
    2. Les - I was pretty sure she'd read them all! I get Beth Brower's newsletter and she said today that edits of vol 9 are going really well and she'll have a couple of announcements in the coming weeks. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
    3. Congrats to you all!!! That's wonderful news!!

      Delete
    4. Thanks, Tina! Can't get there soon enough...

      Delete
  17. I will think of you all tomorrow ... as the baby comes. I hope it is a good and exciting day. I wish you all are well .... and all goes as planned. Next we will expect happy baby news.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails