Sunday, July 12, 2026

The Sunday Salon: An Update At Last!


Hello, friends. Has it really been nearly a month? Life has gotten a bit crazy lately. We've either been away or had guests for the past five weekends, but now we have two weeks at home before we're on the road again.

The big news is that we are going to be grandparents - twice! Two of our daughters are expecting their first babies. Our NYC daughter is due September 5 and our CT daughter is due October 12. In addition, the NYC couple has decided to move to CT and have been spending more time with us as they begin their search for a house. 

We've also spent a good amount of time in central NY lately. My father had a mild heart attack at the end of June. He is fine now and back home, but we were happy to provide a little extra support when it was needed.


Recent reading//


Sisters of a Halved Heart by Nayantara Roy

This new release is the July selection at Modern Mrs. Darcy book club and I was lucky to get a library copy right away. It's a messy, complicated family drama which features a love triangle involving two sisters at its core. Set primarily in Brooklyn and Manhattan, none of the characters were particularly likable, but I kept turning the pages anyway. The novel was more interesting than enjoyable and I cringed as several characters repeatedly made bad decisions. And what an ending - I literally gasped at the final page! The discussion forums are already buzzing and I'm looking forward to the live author chat later in the month.
⭐⭐⭐⭐


Current reading//


Departures by Julian Barnes

I've been a fan of Julian Barnes for years. Now, at 80, he is calling this his final novel. I'm over halfway through, but it sure feels more like a memoir to me.... and it's so good!




War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

The year-long slow read continues. Now wonder people still read this novel... it's got everything!


On the blog//
  - The Death of the Heart by Elizabeth Bowen
  - Whistler by Ann Patchett
  - Dolly All the Time by Annabel Monaghan


In the kitchen//

Despite not being at home much lately, I have tried a few recipes worth mentioning. First is a Blueberry Cottage Cheese Breakfast Bake from Taste of Home. I am NOT a fan of cottage cheese, but have made this at least three times and it's delicious! The 8x8 size is a plus when it's just the three of us.


Another recent discovery is this Asian Chicken Chopped Salad from Skinnytaste. It's been hot lately and I've been craving lighter dinners. My husband generally isn't a fan of dinner salads, but even he really liked this one. You could also serve it in lettuce wraps or over rice.


And finally, we've been grilling a lot of veggies. This easy marinade from Gimme Some Oven has added a tasty new twist ... I think it's the smoked paprika!



That's about it from here. At long last, I am anticipating a quiet week at home. Hopefully it will be cool enough to get back to my morning walks.

How have you been? What have you been reading lately?


The Sunday Salon is hosted by Deb at Readerbuzz.


34 comments:

  1. This is a big post with lots of wonderful info, except the part about your father. Congrats to you all for the babies about to be born. Wow, those children will grow up together and that's so cool. My husband had that experience with his cousins, all close in age and playing together growing up.

    Hope your father is making a good recovery. That had to be scary as hell!

    The books sound great and I am interested in Sisters of a Halved heart and Departures. And those recipes! Yessss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina - I grew up living near my cousins, as did our girls, and it really was the best. So glad my grands will have that experience, too!

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited for you about the grandbabies!Those little cousins will be quite close in age, which will be fun for everyone.

    I'm sorry about your dad's heart attack, but it sounds like he got good medical attention (maybe stents?) and is recovering well. Glad you were around to lend some support. I'm sure it was a stressful time!

    Thanks for the rec for Dolly All the Time. I started the audio yesterday as soon as I finished The Mother-in-Law (also recommended by you!). So far, so good. Also just about to finish The Alice Network by Kate Quinn. She's becoming a favorite author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - We are so happy the cousins will be so close in age and location. Family is just the best! My father was treated by a good friend of ours, and classmate of my husband's, so that made things easier. He had stents years ago, but more weren't necessary this time... just an additional medication and dosage change of another. I hope you enjoy Dolly, too. Such a great audio production. I've got The Briar Club by Kate Quinn ready to go, hopefully soon.

      Delete
  3. That is big news indeed, JoAnn! I am so happy for you. It will be nice to have everyone fairly close, too. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts about Whistler. Thanks for sharing what you have been cooking and baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb - I'm so excited to finally have grandchildren on the way... and fairly close-by, too! Whistler was excellent... my thoughts are in the previous post.

      Delete
  4. Aw, congratulations on becoming a grandparent, twice over, that is very exciting. It is something I long for...but first gotta get the kiddos married off, LOL! I am not really in a rush, my kids are only 23 and 21, so they have time, but it is a season I look forward to. I am glad to hear your dad is doing better. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy - My daughters are 33 and 36, so it's definitely time, lol! My father gave use quite a scare but, thankfully, seems to be doing fine.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the upcoming additions to your family! And so close together too. I hope you have a relaxing week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodie - This has been the most relaxing weekend I've had in months! And I'm looking forward to another one next weekend. It's been a long two months!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the happy news of new arrivals!
    Thanks for sharing your week, happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter and her cousin (and my cousin and I) are 6 weeks apart. It is so wonderful to have that happen so I am very happy for your daughters that their children will be so close in age! And you'll all be in CT, so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - I grew up with cousins close to my age living in the same town. My kids grew up just a couple of towns away from their cousins. The two new arrivals won't live in the same town, but they'll be close enough to see each other regularly and, hopefully, develop a strong cousin bond, too.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on the new upcoming family members!! And I am glad that you were able to be with your dad when he needed you. :)

    I am totally trying that blueberry thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin - I made the blueberry dish again this morning... had to use up the rest of that cottage cheese! So funny that I despise cottage cheese, yet love this breakfast bake. Hope your family does, too.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on being expectant grandparents! Those babies are going to be closer than siblings!

    I've never read anything by Julian Barnes--maybe I should! Maybe with his final book :)

    I am not a fan of cottage cheese either, but I printed out the blueberry recipe because I do love blueberries and you like it!

    I also printed out the chicken salad recipe as I am always on the lookout for summer meals. I made green chili today with the last of the green chilis that I roasted and froze from last summer.

    Have a wonderful week/month as you enjoy your family timee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JanesGS - Barnes primarily writes quiet, reflective novels and my favorite so far is The Sense of an Ending, which won the Booker in 2011. The Only Story is still waiting on my shelf.

      Blueberries are the best part of that breakfast bake, but I wouldn't know there was cottage cheese in it if I hadn't put it in myself! I'll be interested to hear what you think.

      Delete
  10. Congrats on the grandbabies! How exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful news regarding your daughters!

    I finished reading War and Peace last month, and it was really good!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg - I'm reading War and Peace one chapter a day along with Footnotes and Tangents. Loving the slow read experience!

      Delete
  12. Wonderful news about the grand babies. Hope your fathers health improves steadily.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to you and your whole family! How fantastic that the grandchildren will be so close in age. The blueberry cottage cheese bake looks good. I'm not a huge fan of cottage cheese either but I do tend to enjoy it baked in things. I'm adding the Skinny Taste to my To Cook list. It looks fantastic! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - That's interesting that you don't like cottage cheese, but like it in baked goods. This is the first time I've ever used it in a recipe... maybe that's the case for me, too. And Skinnytaste recipes are always a win for me!

      Delete
  14. JoAnn, so happy for you guys with the two new grandbabies! Yay! And, yes, they will be so close in age. Fun for them and for all. So sorry about your Dad's heart issues. I do understand about providing some support. Will keep all of you in my prayers for the sweet little ones to come and also for your Dad. Enjoy your walks. I'm getting back to some of my regular things and the in-laws seem to be mostly settling in. Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay. I appreciate the prayers. We are right back in the heat again, plus air quality issues, so no walks yet this week. Glad your in-laws are settling in. I'm sure it's a relief to get back to some of your own things again!

      Delete
  15. Many congrats on the upcoming arrival of your grandbabies! It will be nice for everyone to be close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , Olivia. We are all so excited for the arrivals.

      Delete
  16. I'm very glad to hear your father is all right and back home. What a relief. Glad you are there for them. And it is very exciting to hear of the babies to come! Wow, nice news! Perhaps that will keep you in CT more of the year? I think I tried the Barnes book .. but put it down. Perhaps I didn't get far enough into it. Glad you are liking it. Enjoy your peaceful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - We've been talking about what this winter will look like and it's still unclear. I can't imagine not seeing those babies for 3 months, but can't see myself flying back and forth multiple times either. Plus I'd like to be around to help the NYC family when they move.

      As for the Barnes book, the first time I started it I didn't make it to the end of the first chapter, and decided it wasn't for me. Not in the mood, I guess. Not sure what possessed me to try again, but I'm glad I did. The audio added to the experience, for sure.

      Delete
  17. Whew! I'm glad your dad is ok and doing better! The news about the grandbabies is VERY exciting!! That breakfast bake sounds good and FUN FACT I'm eating cottage cheese with freshly ground black pepper on top as I was reading your post about blueberry cottage cheese!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinjer - That must be a sign for you to try the blueberry cottage cheese breakfast bake, lol! My father gave us all a scare, but he's doing great now. And those babies.... I cannot wait!!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails