Hello, friends. We're well into the back half of July and summer seems to be flying. We had a good week, despite a few days of very warm temperatures and a few more of smoke-filled air. Early in the week we enjoyed an evening concert on the town green, but were mostly indoors after that. Last night's storms ushered in cooler, cleaner air today along with a nice breeze - perfect for a walk and then maybe sunset at the beach!
Recent reading//
Departure(s) by Julian Barnes
I'm glad I gave this quiet, introspective novel (which reads more like a memoir) a second chance. Barnes, now 80 and with health concerns, says this is his final novel. He opens with a discussion of memory that's sprinkled with Proustian references, but initially I just wasn't feeling it. A month or so later I tried the audio, which Barnes narrates himself, and was enchanted!
Barnes goes on to talk about his illness, and grief following the loss of his wife and later his dog Jimmie, but there's also a parallel story about a rekindled romance between two old friends. He continues to weave in aspects of the initial memory essay throughout the book, and I loved his self-deprecating sense of humor.
I've been a fan of Barnes for years, but have only read a couple of his novels and essay collections. My favorite is The Sense of an Ending, which won the Booker Prize in 2011, and I also enjoyed his essay collection, The Pedant in the Kitchen. The Only Story is waiting on my shelf. ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫
Current reading//
Kin by Tayari Jones
Read/listen combination - so good! 70%
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
The yearlong chapter-a-day slow read continues...
On the blog//
The week ahead//
Wednesday is my birthday! I'm planning to browse the bookstore in the afternoon, have dinner at a favorite restaurant and then, if the rain holds off, go to a concert on the town green. Thursday I'm looking forward to a mani/pedi, then we're off to NYC for the weekend. Fingers crossed it isn't oppressively hot!
How was your week? What are you reading?
The Sunday Salon is hosted by Deb at Readerbuzz.





I was only thinking about re-reading War and Peace recently. That edition looks nice,
ReplyDeleteNicola - This is the Oxford World Classics edition and it uses the Maude translation. I'm enjoying the chapter a day experience very much! Check out the Footnotes and Tangents substack. Simon runs this slow read every year and the daily discussion is very helpful.
DeleteHappy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful birthday week celebrating yourself.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jodie!
DeleteWow! We share a birthday. Have a great week and enjoy your celebration.
ReplyDeletebest… mae at maefood.blogspot.com
Mae - That's amazing, I'm not sure I've ever met anyone with that birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day!!
DeleteJoAnn, I hope you have a fantastic birthday! It sounds like you will have a lot of fun celebrating. Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Cindy. I'm looking forward to a fun week!
DeleteIt sounds like you have some wonderful birthday plans ahead, especially the bookstore visit and concert! Wishing you a very happy birthday and a fantastic trip to NYC. Happy Reading!
ReplyDeleteKat - Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to all our activities this week:)
DeleteWishing you a wonderful birthday and many, many new books!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your week!
Thank you, Shelleyrae. I'm sure there will be a book or two involved!
DeleteHave a wonderful birthday!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Amy!
DeleteHappy birthday! Hope the nicer weather holds for you.
ReplyDeleteNicky - So far it looks like we'll get rain early Wednesday, but fingers are crossed it clears before the concert!
DeleteI had added Departures to my to-read list as I liked Sense of an Ending, liked Barnes' style. As a matter of fact, I watched Sense of an Ending starring Jim Broadbent and it was well done.
ReplyDeleteI have Kin on my list as well, looking forward to that. Currently I am trying to stick to my summer reading goal of library holds and anything on my Kindle. Going well so far.
Wishing you a fantastic day for your birthday! May all your meals be perfect, your gifts include books and you have the best weather!
Tina - I think you have to be in the right mood for Departure(s) as it's so slow and reflective. I need to find the film of Sense of an Ending. Hoping to finish Kin tonight. It's excellent!
DeleteThis should be a fun week. Lots of rain tomorrow, but it should clear before the concert Wednesday. I usually get a bookstore gift certificate for my birthday, so I'm pretty sure there will be books. And I'm thinking about a burger and fries at the local pub for dinner... haven't had a good burger in ages!!
That sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday. I hope you are able to find a couple of great books at the bookstore. I loved The Sense of an Ending and gave it five stars.
ReplyDeleteDeb - The Sense of an Ending was a favorite the year I read it and I've got The Only Story waiting on my shelf. I especially enjoyed Barnes' narration of Departure(s)... it definitely added to the experience.
DeleteHappy birthday! You’ve got some great plans. I’m glad the rain washed the smoke away for you.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Olivia. The air is still good today, so I'm pretty happy.
DeleteHappy birthday! I hope you have the best day (and birthday week). Enjoy your reading!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Katherine!
DeleteHappy birthday to you! Enjoy your mani/pedi and trip to NYC. Reading Whistler makes me really want to go to the Met!
ReplyDeleteI fell in love with read/listen with my most recent book, The Game of Kings, and was disappointed that the next book in the series didn't have that built in. Do you find books with read/listen or do you do the sync yourself?
Nice photo of the marina. We love wandering around marinas, gazing at all the boats. Sorry to hear you're getting some of the smoke from Ontario. Those fires have been terrible, as are the ones in WA, OR, UT, etc. We're back to sunshine after a few overcast days. This has been such an unusual summer with so many beautiful days. Still not above 65, but it's lovely.
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed Departure(s). Isn't it funny how a book can hit or miss depending on what's going on in your life? I tried Whistler on audio when it first came out, but didn't care for Patchett's narration. I ordered the book, but one day needed something to listen to that was already downloaded so I tried the audio of Whistler a second time. I couldn't stop listening! But I wanted to read the print edition, so I forced myself to stop when I got home and switched to a different audiobook. Now I'm reading Whistler and trying to savor it, but not wanting to turn out the light at night. It's so good. It's the type that you just know is going to be a 5 star read! But back to Barnes' book... I may have to give it a try. I've not read any of his novels.
I'm also glad to hear that Kin is a winner, too. It's on my list...
I hope you have a lovely birthday and that you are able to all you are planning! Sounds like a perfect way to celebrate.