Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Nonfiction November Week 3: Book Pairings


Nonfiction November continues this week with Book Pairings. Our host is Liz at Adventures in reading, running and working from home and this is the prompt:
This week, pair up a nonfiction book with a fiction title. Maybe it’s a historical novel and the real history in a nonfiction version, or a memoir and a novel, or a fiction book you’ve read and you would like recommendations for background reading. You can be as creative as you like! You can feel free to use books you’ve read any time in this last year or whenever.

My book pairing this year deals with Climate Change... a topic that became a reality in my life on September 28, 2022 when Hurricane Ian devastated Sanibel Island, Florida.


by Jake Bittle

This nonfiction title was a 5-star read for me and will easily make my list of favorite books of 2023. My review is here.



The Light Pirate by Lily Brooks-Dalton

Cli Fi seems to be a popular micro-genre at the moment, but I can't quite summon the courage to read this novel... yet. It is a nominee for the 2023 Goodreads Choice Award in the Science Fiction category and comes highly recommend by my friend Les. You can read her review here. I'm planning to read it next year, after a little more time has passed.


Last Week's Nonfiction November post:






 

16 comments:

  1. That's a great pairing, I'm not surprised you can't bring yourself to read the novel yet, I am the same about climate change and dystopian stuff, all too real! Thank you for joining in with Week 3! (Liz)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked both books you mentioned. Excellent reads. Cool pairing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina - Thanks. I'll probably read The Light Pirate this winter... should be ready it for it by then.

      Delete
  3. Nice pairing, for sure. I'm unfamiliar with the term "cli-fi" but it's descriptive enough a term to make it clear what the novels focus on. Now I'm curious about both titles. Living so near the Gulf Coast myself, and watching the increasing number of storms that have impacted our city in the last decade or so, has really made me aware that something very basic has changed in our weather patterns here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I just started hearing the cli-fi term on podcasts this year, but am not sure how far beyond that audience it has traveled. The Gulf Coast has been battered the past several years and, I agree, some sort of fundamental change has occurred. What surprises me is how real estate prices just keep rising anyway!

      Delete
  4. Adding two climate books to my tbr. Thank you. So many fictions books I've read lately have a climate related theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Care - Climate change is everywhere in literature this year, both nonfiction and fiction. I'm glad there is more awareness. Just hope we can actually slow it down before it's too late...

      Delete
  5. Yeah I think the reading of Lily's book will hit too close to home. Ian was just brutal. You need more time. I do like some reads in the eco-fiction genre -- many seem apocalyptic but there can be other types. I'm sure we'll see more of them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - I like the term eco-fiction better than cli-fi, and would certainly prefer less apocalyptic novels. I'd still like to read The Light Pirate though.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the shout-out. I'm still thinking about The Light Pirate and brought it up today at my book club meeting. In some ways, it reminds me of The Road (Cormac McCarthy). My mom read The Light Pirate and said she couldn't read it at night, it was too upsetting, but she thought it was very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - I'll probably follow your mom's advice when I do get to The Light Pirate. It can be my afternoon book! ;-)

      Delete
  7. I live along Hurricane Alley, and I'm always waiting for the next big storm to strike. I should read both of these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb - The Bittle book gets my highest recommendation! It was so interesting, but sobering, too. I really don't like the feeling of waiting for the next big one...

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails