Saturday, December 10, 2022

Recent Reading: Six Short Reviews

Lighthouse at Saybrook Point Marina

Several days ago I shared our Hurricane Ian update and now, as promised, here is my fall reading update. As you can imagine, through late September and most of October I couldn't concentrate on reading anything. Eventually audiobooks returned to my daily routine and by mid-November I began to read print books, too... what a relief! 

Here are the books I've read and/or listened to since the storm:



by Nina Totenberg, narrated by the author

I've followed Nina Totenberg's reporting for years, but knew nothing about her career path or personal life prior to listening to this memoir. Be aware that the focus is not on RBG as the title might lead you to believe. Rather, it is the story of Totenberg's long career and how strong female friendships, primarily with RBG and Cokie Roberts, have enriched her life. I'm glad I listened to this one.




by Linda Greenhouse, narrated by Beth Hicks

I heard Linda Greenhouse, journalist and Yale Law School lecturer, on R.J. Julia's "Just the Right Book!" podcast when this book was originally published last year. At that time, the after-the-colon subtitle was The Death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the Rise of Amy Coney Barrett, and Twelve Months That Transformed the Supreme Court. After Roe v. Wade was overturned this past June, Greenhouse added an update and changed the title. I listened to the newer edition.

This book made for some fascinating listening. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know of my fascination with the Supreme Court. There's not much new information here, but having the events and significant cases of the past couple of years laid out chronologically, alongside relevant background information, was an illuminating (and infuriating!) review. 

 


by Dani Shapiro, narrated by the author

Beautifully written, skillfully constructed, and incredibly moving  - I loved this book! It was a read/listen combination for me and Shapiro's narration was just perfect. I borrowed the ebook from the library, but have since purchased a copy to keep on my shelf. I've been a fan of this author for years, especially her recent memoirs, but this is her first novel in twenty years. It's a contender for my favorite book of the year... highly recommended.





by Emi Yagi, translated by David Boyd and Lucy North
narrated by Nancy Wu

As the only woman at her new workplace... Ms. Shibata is expected to do all the menial tasks. One day she announces that she can't clear away her colleagues' dirty cups--because she's pregnant and the smell nauseates her. The only thing is . . . Ms. Shibata is not pregnant. (from goodreads)

The premise here is unusual and it eventually turns just plain weird, but this short novel is surprisingly engaging. I enjoyed Nancy Wu's narration of Convenience Store Woman and it made for a pleasant 4 1/2 hours here, too. 

 




Cara Romero, in her mid-50s, loses her factory job in the Great Recession and must meet with a job counselor in order to qualify for benefits.

 Over the course of twelve sessions, Cara recounts her tempestuous love affairs, her alternately biting and loving relationships with her neighbor Lulu and her sister Angela, her struggles with debt, gentrification and loss, and, eventually, what really happened between her and her estranged son, Fernando. As Cara confronts her darkest secrets and regrets, we see a woman buffeted by life but still full of fight.

It took a little while to get used to Cara's voice, but I eventually grew to understand and appreciate her. I'm so glad I persevered!




by Bethan Roberts
narrated by Piers Hampton, Emma Powell
"I considered starting with these words: I no longer want to kill you - because I really don't, but then decided you would think this far too melodramatic. You've always hated melodrama, and I don't want to upset you now, not in the state you're in, not at what may be the end of your life."
This novel grabbed me with the opening lines (above) and held me through the final sentence. It is lushly written and heartbreaking. Set in mid-20th century England, My Policeman  is loosely based on novelist E. M. Forster's relationship with policeman Bob Buckingham. In the novel, museum curator Patrick Hazelwood randomly meets a young policeman, Tom Burgess, following a street incident and is immediately attracted to him. Tom is married to Marion and trying to lead a conventional life, but is also drawn to Patrick... and a relationship develops. The story is told from the alternating perspectives of Patrick and Marion. The reader never hears directly from Tom, the policeman.

As a read/listen combination, the audio production employs dual narrators to make the most of alternating perspectives. It was very well done.

The novel was originally published in 2012 and a new film adaptation is currently available on amazon prime video. I plan to watch it this weekend.













18 comments:

  1. I remeber listening to Nina Totenberg on public radio. That was a while ago! Signal Fires was one of my favorites this year. She writes so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina - Yes, Nina Totenberg has been around for decades... she worked her way up. Signal Fires was excellent. Have you read any of her memoirs? She is so talented!

      Delete
    2. Inheritance was amazing, she is indeed a talented author.
      It’s Tina, I know I’ll come up as Anonymous as I’m using my phone! The iPhone always puts me as anonymous.

      Delete
    3. Tina - Inheritance was my favorite nonfiction the year I read it. Your review prompted me to pick up Signal Fires - thank you!

      Delete
  2. These are new to me. I'll check them all out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read and enjoyed Dani Shapiro's books (both fiction and nonfiction), so I'm definitely going to read this new one in early in 2023. Glad you enjoyed it so well! The Policeman sounds intriguing, too.

    Welcome back to reviewing books!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - Shapiro's new book is a winner and I loved her narration, too. Watched The Policeman a couple of nights ago... very moving, but I much preferred the book, of course!

      Delete
  4. Hi JoAnn,
    Thanks to you I will definitely, and very soon, be listening to Greenhouse's book and Totenberg's as well. For the former, I am all over the Supreme Court as well and love to read about its history, past and present.
    Although I loved Dani Shapiro's Inheritance, and the memoir she wrote about her early twenties, I could not resonate as much with Signal Fires. It was interesting, yes, but I think it must be that my life experiences just haven't overlapped enough with the protagonists of this book for me to fully appreciate it.
    JoAnn, this was such a wonderful post. I enjoyed reading it so much. I have missed you! I continue to wish you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith - It's gotten so nothing about the Supreme Court surprises me anymore, but I never tire of reading books or articles on the subject. In Totenberg's book, a side of RBG that hasn't been extensively covered was presented ... and I enjoyed it. Totenberg herself has led an interesting life, too.

      I'll be interested in other reader's reactions to Signal Fires as more get a chance to read it. At least 3 other book friends have said it might be their #1 book of the year, and you're now the second that didn't fully connect with it. I'm sure life experiences must play a role!

      So glad you enjoyed reading the post... I've gotten out of the groove, but feels good to be back!

      Delete
  5. I'm going to look into watching My Policeman; it sounds like my kind of show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - The movie of My Policeman is very atmospheric and emotional, as is the movie. I was glad to have read the book before watching it.

      Delete
  6. Oh I didn't realize My Policeman is based on EM Forster. Interesting. And you've been to my go-to source on all things/books Supreme Court. It's a fascinating branch - but now it's gone off-its rocker in its far-right rulings. Signal Fires is one I definitely want to get to. Thanks for your thoughts on it. I'm gearing up as I think it might be quite sad? Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - I didn't realize My Policeman was based on EM Forster until after I started reading... such a tragic story. Maybe have to take a break from Supreme Court reading for a while. It's too upsetting at the moment. Signal Fires is poignant, for sure, and Shapiro handles it all so well. I just love her writing!

      Delete
  7. Excellent reviews. Nina Totenberg is one of my favorite NPR reporters and so I am now on the wait list for this book--should be a real treat.I also put Signal Fires on the TBR list--I want to explore new authors in 2023, and since you have been reading Shapiro for years, that's good enough to make the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JaneGS -I've enjoyed Totenberg's reporting for years and appreciated the insight into her life... it's really remarkable. Dani Shapiro's writing is always a treat for me to read... she is so insightful and I'm envious of her ability to express herself. Still can't decide whether Signal Fires or Lucy by the Sea will be my favorite book of 2022!

      Delete
  8. I'm busy adding all of these to my TBR list! I've loved Nina Totenberg on NPR and think this would be a fascinating book but all the others sound so interesting to me too. Thank you for sharing these titles with us and so glad you've been able to get in more reading time and have found the time/energy to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana - I'm lucky to have read several good books once we returned to CT. Hope you enjoy Nina Totenberg's memoir if you get a chance to read it.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails