Sunday, April 5, 2009

Weekend Wrap-up



Time for a wrap-up to this busy week...

Puerto Rico was wonderful! It's been years since I've felt that relaxed. This was an absolutely agenda-less vacation. While R was at his conference, my biggest decision was whether to read by the pool or at the beach! The conference was done by 1 PM, so we got to have lunch together and enjoy the afternoon. That usually included a pina colada (my official 'umbrella drink' of the trip) poolside. Since Puerto Rico is home to Bacardi, I figured this would be the most appropriate choice! After two full days of relaxing, R was ready to venture out. Tuesday we explored Old San Juan and visited the fortress El Morro. By Wednesday it was time to return to reality and head home.

I ended up reading The Shack for my book club meeting later this month, got through a pile of New Yorker magazines, and an issue of The Atlantic. My copy of The Wapshot Chronicle is in a hardcover collection of John Cheever's novels, so I ended up leaving it at home. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to open a book since we got back.

Yesterday, I attended the funeral of a high school classmate who died of pancreatic cancer. Although I only saw him once or twice a year, we had been friends since the second grade. As I've gotten older, the bond with these old friends has become more precious (as we are turning 50, how many people can say they've known you for almost 45 years?). It was a very sad day.

Today emotions are at the other end of the spectrum. We are celebrating our twin daughters' sixteenth birthday! The family is all coming for dinner...I'm off to bake the cake and make lasagna. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to read about the loss of your friend to pancreatic cancer. My mom died of it 22 years ago and my brother was diagnosed recently with it as well. He was given 4-6 months. Very sad indeed.

    BTW, I think your blog is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Diane. My friend was given 4-6 months too, but ended up with almost 16...a gift of a year. So sorry to hear about your brother.

    I really enjoy your blog, too. The picture on the header is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to your daughters. Is it time for driving or have they already been practicing? What an exciting time.

    I could use a couple of days where I have to choose between a pool and a beach...and lots of reading:) The El Morro is quite impressive. Puerto Rico looks like a beautiful place.

    I am sorry to hear about your friend. I also find myself thinking more about my friendships that are decades long. I am so grateful for them and treasure them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BookPsmith,
    The girls will both get their permits soon. Neither has driven before(at least not that I know of!), but I'd like them to get some experience before they start Driver Ed at the end of June. Glad I've been through all this once before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really have been on a roller coaster of emotions lately haven't you, so sorry. Happy Birthday wishes to the twins and to you Mum as well, it couldn't have been easy! When I was a young Mum and saw TWO car seats in the backseat of a car I always thought "Hats off to you":)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Darlene. When they were babies, I used to be thankful they weren't triplets because I only had two hands!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm anxious to hear what you thought of The Shack. People either seem to love it or hate it. You've experienced quite a bit of what life has to offer in the last little bit -- ups & downs, celebrations and sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa,
    I'll probably put a review of The Shack into a post about the book club meeting. Let's just say it wasn't a book I would have chosen on my own. Can't wait to hear what other people thought!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails