Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Sunday Salon - April 19

Good morning! As I write this, Dewey's Read-a-Thon is just minutes from wrapping up and I can tell from all the blogs I've visited that it's been a huge success. While I couldn't participate due to several family commitments, I did sign on as a cheerleader. Many comments of encouragement were left at my regular blog stops and I made some new friends along the way, too.


It's been spring break here this week and the girls have been home from school. The highlight of the week was, by far, taking them to get their driver's permit. They are thrilled to be driving, but I am getting more grey hair every minute they are behind the wheel!


As for my reading, I did finish The Wapshot Chronicle by John Cheever. I really liked the book, but unfortunately a two week hiatus in the middle diminished my overall enjoyment. I still plan to read The Wapshot Scandal later this year. I also read Novel Destinations by Shannon Mckenna Schmidt and Jodi Rendon (review coming later this week) and a couple of stories for Short story Monday.


The Home-Maker by Dorothy Canfield is next up, and I look forward to talking about it with Bellezza when I'm finished. I also started The Help by Dorothy Stockett on audio. I haven't gotten very far (not much time alone in the car this week), but I already LOVE it! If I had the physical book, I'd be reading as fast as I can...


There is also this beautiful award to tell you about! Margaret from BooksPlease has given me the One Lovely Blog Award.

The rules to follow are:
1) Accept the award, post it on your blog together with the name of the person who has granted the award and his or her blog link.
2) Pass the award to 15 other blogs that you’ve newly discovered. Remember to contact the bloggers to let them know they have been chosen for this award.

I discovered many new blogs through the read-a-thon, so if you participated and don't already have this award, please consider yourself tagged. Thank you so much for this award, Margaret! It is truly the loveliest award button ever!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day and all the read-a-thonners get some well-deserved rest!

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVED your uplifting and encouraging posts -- thank you so very much!

    I totally understand the freedom - and gray hairs associated with new drivers in the house! My youngest has her learner's permit - and will obtain her license in September. Where has the time gone?!

    I absolutely adored The Help - and I would think the southern accents would be divine to listen to in audio book form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I clearly remember when our son got his learner's permit. That wasn't too bad for me - but the day he got his driver's license and could drive on his own I was a nervous wreck! Good luck with the new drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally grey now , three daughters learnt to drive , what do you expect, lol!!!
    'The Homemkaer' is a book I've seen in the Persephone catalogue , will be keen to read your review.
    Enjoy your white knuckle rides(lol),seriously though I'm sure all the driving will go well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly -
    You're welcome. I enjoyed following your progress! The southern accents in The Help are wonderful! Each of the readers is very talented.

    Bermudaonion -
    I can see where the actual license would cause a LOT more worry. I'm going to try and put it off for as long as I possibly can!

    Zetor -
    I have an excellent hair stylist that will keep anyone from seeing those greys coming in ;-)
    So far the girls are doing well, but I'm taking it very slowly!
    The Home-Maker is off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TWO children getting their permits at the same time!?? I hope they don't argue over practice time!

    Wasn't readathon fun?! I cheered some, too. I want to block the day to read and cheer in October.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn -
    It sometimes seems that they argue over everything - lol! The practice time is presenting a new set of challenges.

    I really hope I can work the October read-a-thon into the schedule, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails