Monday, April 27, 2009

The Sunday Salon (Monday Morning Edition) - April 27

Welcome to the Monday Morning edition of the Sunday Salon! I had hoped to get this posted last evening, but was away at Twin A's volleyball tournament. The team played well and kept winning into the semi-final round, but by then we were thankful to have them lose and take third place so we could begin the nearly 3 hour drive home!

It's been a good week of reading, mostly focused on short stories and essays. The essays, which I am thoroughly enjoying, are from John Updike's Due Considerations. There may be a short story post later today, but it could prove to be a Short Story Tuesday week instead.

The novel I am currently reading is The Home-Maker by Dorothy Canfield Fisher. Although it was published in 1924, the issues it addresses seem surprisingly contemporary. I hope to finish sometime this week.

My book club met on Friday to discuss William Paul Young's The Shack. It was an interesting meeting and I'll be posting my review along with the group's assessment later this week. I'm also still trying to get my thoughts down on The Wapshot Chronicle by John Cheever.

I'm nearly half-way through the 15 CD audio of The Help and loving every second! It occurs to me that since it's actually making me wish for more time in the car, it should probably be listened to while exercising instead!

Finally, Zetor at MOG'S blog has awarded me the Super Comments Award! Comments received here are much very appreciated, so I try to leave a comment whenever I can, even if it's just to say, "Great review!" or "I loved that book, too." Thank you so much, Zetor!
I will pass this award on to these Super Commenters:
Book Psmith
Lisa at Booknotes by Lisa
Lezlie at Books 'N Border Collies
Molly at My Cozy Book Nook
Darlene at Roses Over A Cottage Door


My thanks goes out to Fleur Fisher at Fleur Fisher Reads for the One Lovely Blog Award. She also has 'one lovely blog ', so I'm very glad to have discovered it! I passed this award along at last week's Sunday Salon.

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend and have a productive reading week ahead!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your awards! And thank you so much for passing on the commenter award! I think that one is sooo cute!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the kudos on your awards...most definitely deserved. Thank you for the Super Comments award. Sounds like you had a great reading week. You have me very curious about The Homemaker. I have added it to my list of books to check out. Wow...15 audio CDs. Were you able to listen on the 3 hour drive? Looking forward to your post on the book club meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, dear, I can't remember if I commented on The Home-Maker yet on your blog, but if not: loved it! The issues are suprisingly relevant, and in many ways the mother reminded me of my own in that I always saw her as frustrated in not having a career. Not that she wasn't a good mother, she just wants it all. Still, at 73. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lezlie -
    You're welcome. Isn't that panda just adorable?

    BookPsmith -
    It was a good week! I didn't listen to The Help while driving this weekend. Since I had only one daughter along, we just talked (you know, a captive audience...) It's funny, but we have our best conversations in the car!

    Bellezza -
    You did mention that you really liked the Home-Maker, and I think that made me get to it a little sooner! I'm less than half way, but so far it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your award and thank you so much for mine! I'm really looking forward to hearing more about The Home-Maker. I have to tell you, on May 14, Persephone is having a book chat (with cake and tea no less) on Someone at a Distance! I've asked K to come along and I can't wait. I'll have blog material for weeks after that trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you're so sweet! Thank you for the commenter award. I would definitely consider you one of my super commenters, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your post about The Sunday Salon. I've never participated. Tomorrow is going to be my first Sunday. I'm not sure how or what to do. Maybe at first it's best just to be a spectator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tea -
    Thanks for visiting! I've been trying to use The Sunday Salon as a weekly wrap-up and to plan for the week ahead. Other thoughts that don't really fit anywhere else end up there, too. I'll try to visit after you've posted!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails