Thursday, April 23, 2009

Library Loot - April 23

At the library this week, I focused on short stories and essays. It's funny to note that until a couple months ago, I would never have dreamed of checking out a story collection. In fact, I was able to count the number of stories read since high school on my fingers! Then I began to notice the bright yellow button for Short Story Monday and read of some the reviews. A few weeks later, I decided to play along. I've read some truly wonderful stories (you can see the list and links in my sidebar) and now find myself searching them out.

Essays have never been a big part of my reading either, but one of Wendy's mini-challenges has us reading a couple essays from the same collection. These are two that caught my eye. Do you have a collection of essays to recommend?

Miss Marple - The Complete Short Stories
by Agatha Christie
Can you believe I've never read Agatha Christie? Book PSmith reviewed several of these stories and they sound like fun.


The Thurber Carnival
by James Thurber
I loved The Unicorn in The Garden and wanted to read more Thurber. This is a collection of stories and cartoons.







The Best American Essays 2007
David Foster Wallace, editor
This seems like a good place to start reading essays.



Due Considerations - Essays and Criticism
by John Updike
I wasn't wild about my last Updike novel, but loved his short story When Everyone Was Pregnant. Now I'll try his essays.


I won't be reading any of these books cover-to-cover, but I do look forward to sampling each of them. What was is your library bag this week?
Library loot is hosted by Eva and Alessandra.

14 comments:

  1. I've got that edition of The Best American Essays on my shelf. I've read the first couple and enjoyed them quite a bit! I may need to get back to it and break up some of this heavier reading I've got going.

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lezlie,
    Essays and short stories are perfect as a bridge between books, or for a quick breather in a longer, denser read (which you seem to be doing a lot of lately -lol!). I'm glad to hear you've liked the essay collection so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sound good :D
    I actually managed to read one Agatha book back in elementary school, but none since that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been a big short story or essay reader until recently. I'm doing the mini challenges, as well. For the essays, I chose The Essays of Elia by Charles Lamb. I found a wonderful old leather-bound copy in a used book store. I first heard of Charles Lamb when I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society earlier in the year. Lamb is talked about often in the book by two of the main characters. These essays are really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good haul. I think I've only read one Agatha Christie book. And that was ages ago. I look forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great loot. I'll be interested to see your thoughts on Updike's essays. I joined another challenge this morning and will be reading Olive Kitteridge within the next few months. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't tried essays yet, but I love 'Agatha' so I'll check out the Miss Marple ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Book blogging renewed my interest in short stories too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have another Mitford book sitting on the hold shelf at the library, this one is letters to and from Nancy. I've also brought home series 12 of Midsomer Murders which I just love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blodeuedd -
    We'll see how the short stories go. I understand there are some very good audiobooks of Christie's novels, I may try those next.

    Lisa -
    I remember reading about Lamb's essays in 'Guernsey', too! How lucky to find a beautiful used copy. Funny is good... I'll keep an eye out for it.

    Linda -
    I really don't know how I managed to go this long without reading Christie, but that will change soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. BookPsmith -
    I started an essay this afternoon about Updike's trip to China in 1998 and read an op-ed piece from 2000 NY Times in defense of books ...good stuff! I hope you enjoy Olive as much as I did.

    Zetor -
    I'm just taking my first baby steps as far as the essays go. Do you have a favorite Agatha novel?

    Eva -
    I'm surprised how quickly I became a short story fan!

    Darlene -
    You are on a Mitford streak, aren't you? I'm not familiar with the Midsomer Murders, but it's always fun to read a favorite series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joann,
    First let me say I like your layout. I'm a visual person so a good-looking blog matters. Makes me want to hang out longer. Anyhoo, enjoyed reading your post. It's been awhile since I've read short stories and essays, and I do enjoy them. Thanks for the reminder to pick something up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan,
    Thanks so much for commenting on the layout! I just changed it a week or so ago, and I was hoping it seems easier to read and more inviting.

    Hope you get to some stories or essays soon...glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great set of books. There's an award for you There's an award for you here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails