Thursday, April 9, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Numbers Game


Today's Booking Through Thursday question:

For something different, I’m borrowing a question from … here! One of the very first questions ever at Booking Through Thursday. Back from 2005 when Laura owned the blog but, because it was so new, it didn’t get as many responses as it does now … so, why not revisit?

Here’s the question:
Some people read one book at a time. Some people have a number of them on the go at any given time, perhaps a reading in bed book, a breakfast table book, a bathroom book, and so on, which leads me to…
1. Are you currently reading more than one book?
2. If so, how many books are you currently reading?
3. Is this normal for you?
4. Where do you keep your current reads?



Right now, I only have one book with an 'active' bookmark.
There are a couple others on my nightstand with bookmarks in them, but if they haven't been touched in a couple weeks, I no longer consider them active reads. There is also a short story collection I've been dipping into.

This isn't my usual habit. I normally have a few books in progress: one fiction, another that is usually non-fiction, plus a short story collection, and an audio book for the car. Yesterday, however, I returned my non-fiction selections to the library and finished an audio book.

Of my active reads, one tends to 'win out'. The winner is the book I'll take along in my bag to read during down time. The second book stays home, either on the nightstand or on the table next to my 'reading chair'. I pick that one up when I need a breather from the main read. The short story collection is on the bookshelf in the family room and the audio book stays in the car.

Visit today's Booking Through Thursday to play along or just to read more responses.





13 comments:

  1. It sounds as if we have very similar reading styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read one book at a time, sniff. Deacon doesn't like it very much when Mum is sitting with a book and brings me a ball. One look at those pleading eyes and he usually wins. But someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually stay with one to avoid confusion of the plot. But I am reading three at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of the three I read at a time, there is always one that wins as well. I usually spend twice as much time with that book then my other reads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read more than one at a time too, but there is usually one that has more of my attention than the others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our answers are similar - I can do one print book and one audio for the car.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darlene,
    It always seemed to me that our dogs were like having another child around the house. None of them had as much energy as the border collies I have known, so I'm sure Deacon doesn't give you much time to sit around and read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really can only read one book at a time to really appreciate it. I admire those who can juggle several at once, but that isn't in my capacity right now. ;) You have a good idea with that 'active bookmark' thought. It's true that the one book picked up most often is the one I'm really going to dwell in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SPF - I think we do! I discovered a new term on your blog today -'languish mode'! I love it!

    Matt - I try to make the books I'm reading very different. It helps avoid plot confusion!

    Jess - I always feel bad about the 'loser' book, especially if it's a good book, too.

    Melissa - Sounds like you play favorites, too!

    Yvonne - Since audio books are such a different experience for me, I don't have to be as careful about choosing something different.
    It's two similar print books that can get me confused.

    Bellezza - I always used to be a one-book-at-a time reader. When I started listening to audiobooks, I found that I could 'read' two. Then it was easier to add in another print book...but now it takes me much longer to finish anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm usually "in" a few books at a time too.

    I started listening to audiobooks just a few months ago. I have them on my ipod for walking/running. I get too distracted when I'm driving (paying more attention to the book than the road!), and the kids are generally talking to me, so radio/CDs are in the car. Keeping the audios for walk/run time gives me an incentive to exercise, too!

    Dawn
    She is Too Fond of Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dawn,
    I can never listen when the kids are in the car...especially now that they're teens, it's a great time to talk to them. I like the listen and exercise idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi - I gave you a blog award:

    http://booksandmovies.today.com/2009/04/11/passing-on-the-bloggy-love/

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carrie,
    Thank you so much!! I'm on my way over now...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails