Saturday, March 17, 2012

Weekend Cooking: Historic Pubs of Dublin


Want to add a little authenticity to your St. Patrick's Day celebration? Consider touring the Historic Pubs of Dublin with author Frank McCourt. Settle in with a pint and this one hour 2008 PBS Home Video production (available on Netflix Instant) becomes a virtual pub crawl.
Dublin is a great place to quench your thirst for history, beautiful sights, warm and wonderful people, and, of course, a good pint! Join Frank McCourt, Pulitzer Prize winning author of Angela's Ashes as he tells the story of Dublin through its most historic pubs, dating back hundreds of years. In addition to the legendary drinking establishments, viewers will learn more about must-see attractions, the city's beautiful parks, and more! (from amazon)
The tour begins at The Brazen Head. Dating back to 1198, it is officially Ireland's oldest pub and literally depicts the country's history on its walls. McCourt, ever the teacher, doesn't pass up the opportunity for a brief lesson.

Mulligan's is a pub for the serious drinker. They say "real men stand while drinking", and all furniture was banished in the early 20th century. It has since been restored, but there is still no food is served at Mulligan's. A bar tender offers instruction of how to pull the perfect pint. A pint, of course, means Guinness - "part of life fabric in Dublin".

At Neary's, extended brass arms hold lanterns to welcome guests,

and The Long Hall (which served only men until 1951) boasts one of the longest bars in Dublin.

Although the focus is on pubs (too many to mention here), McCourt's tour also stops at Dublin Castle, Trinity College,  Dublin Writer's Museum, the Old Jameson Distillery, and the Guinness Storehouse. Legend has it that in Dublin, you're never more than twenty paces from a pub!


Weekend Cooking, hosted at Beth Fish Reads, is open to anyone who has a food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up over the weekend.














36 comments:

  1. Oh this looks great. I've already added it to my NetFlix instant queue. It'll make fun viewing tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth F - I'm so glad you got a chance to see it!

      Delete
  2. I can't think of a better fit for a host of this one than Frank McCourt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheBookGirl - McCourt was the perfect choice for a host!

      Delete
  3. Those pubs look just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rikki - I'd love to see them in person one day!

      Delete
  4. This sounds great. And I love Frank McCourt! Thanks for the reference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhapsodyinbooks - You're welcome. I love Frank McCourt, too!

      Delete
  5. Perfect gift for my husband! We stopped at quite a few pubs as well as Guinness when we were there for our honeymoon. It would be a great trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much is that. I'll have to add this to my queue to watch with my husband. I do plan on having a pint later today. I'm obviously not Irish or I'd be having it now. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peaceful Reader - LOL! I'm only half Irish, so waited until after 5 myself ;-)

      Delete
  7. I'm sure Frank McCourt have some real personal, authentic recommendations! Have enjoyed his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arti - McCourt added some wonderful stories and anecdotes to the tour. I loved Angela's Ashes.

      Delete
  8. Oh fun!! I feel like I have taken a little trip to Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libby - It's the closest I'll get to Ireland for a while, too!

      Delete
  9. So true, that last sentence! Love Frank McCourt--he would be a wonderful guide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DS - McCourt was a perfect choice for tour guide, and the 20 paces stat did make me smile :-)

      Delete
  10. saw your link of at ds's and i love pubs so popped over....i've had some pretty fantastic pub food as well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian Miller - Thanks so much for stopping by! I've enjoyed a few pubs in London, but have never been to Ireland... sure hope to visit one day.

      Delete
  11. i have been in a couple of those..but give me a country pub anyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caite - As I wrote the post, I wondered if you'd visited any of them. Would have loved to watch another tour featuring country pubs!

      Delete
  12. I have never been to a pub-nor have I even drank a whole beer by myself! I bet my son (age 26 mind you!) might like this show... I shall have to tell him about it!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim - LOL! Sometimes there's nothing better than a cozy pub :-)

      Delete
  13. This sounds fun! Great looking pubs, wouldn't mind stopping in to a few of those those if I could!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol - Watching this video is like taking a one hour vacation.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for sharing this great post; I'm putting it in my Netflix queue. I met Frank's brother Malachy at a book signing in Central New York and I just adore the McCourt brothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - I've never read Malachy's books, but really should. Frank was a speaker at the Rosamond Gifford Lecture Series- twice!

      Delete
  15. This sounds like so much fun - not quite as good as being in Dublin but a worthy substitute when that just isn't possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg - Would have rather been in Dublin on St. Patrick's Day, but this was definitely the next best thing :-)

      Delete
  16. Thanks for this! Will definitely be watching it in the next few day!
    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy - Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

      Delete
  17. Hi JoAnn! Sounds like a wonderful documentary and perfect viewing for this St. Patrick's Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine - The timing for discovering this documentary was ideal!

      Delete
  18. How cool is this post???? I love it and will add it to my list on Netflix. Should be fun to follow along with Frank and make a wish list for the time I actually do get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci - I added quite of few stops to my imaginary itinerary, too!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails