Sunday, March 25, 2012

TSS: Spring Break,Take Two


Good morning and Happy Sunday. It's been another quiet week at Lakeside Musing, this time for Daughter #1's spring break. Although she had work to do on her honors thesis, we still managed to spend a lot of time together. The weather has been perfect, too, seeming more like summer than spring. Daffodils and hyacinths are in bloom, along with forsythia and magnolias. The lawn is greening up and starting to grow. If this keeps up, it could be the first time we've ever mowed the lawn in March! My nephew's confirmation was Thursday evening and, of course, March Madness is HUGE around here. Orange tears were shed last night as Syracuse's season came to a end, losing to Ohio St. in the Elite 8.

Reading has been almost as slow as blogging this week. I'm two thirds of the way through A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. It's engaging and creative, but demanding all the listening skills I've acquired over the past ten years. This is one non-linear narrative, folks! The PowerPoint presentation is just two chapters away. I'm very curious to see how it will work on audio, but think I'll probably turn to the print edition for that section.

On Tuesday, I made the decision to read nothing but Clarissa until I was up to date with the March letters. Unfortunately, the letters seem to be growing longer and more numerous, and I feel like I'm treading water. My monthly update is coming up later this week, so for now I'll just say it's becoming a little repetitive.

My goal for the next few days is to write some posts/reviews so the blog doesn't get too quiet for another week.... Twin A begins her spring break on Thursday! Today we have my nephew's confirmation party, then I'll either get to work on those reviews or read Clarissa. What are you up to today?

23 comments:

  1. Isn't it great to have an early spring! Clarissa sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee - I am loving this early spring, but just realized how outdated the blog header is! Will head out with the camera on the next sunny day.

      Delete
  2. Just give the audio Power Point a try. I think you will find that it works. Which amazed me. But you are right, this is an audio that is ultimately rewarding, but uses all your skills. I don't think I would have been able to hang with it three or four years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy - I'll definitely give the PowerPoint a shot on audio... am dying of curiosity!

      Delete
  3. I loved Goon Squad. One of my favorites from last year. Everyone in my book club loved it as well. I did read it all in print, though.

    It's raining today. I hope to read lots of blogs and maybe finish up a book afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James - Goon Squad is our next book club selection. I'd avoided it for ages and am surprised at how much I like it... still curious to see how it all comes together.

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine doing the power point in audio. The visual makes up part of its power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy - I'm going to read the Power Point chapter twice - print first, then audio. Can't wait to see how they compare!

      Delete
    2. Report back, please!

      Delete
  5. My husband actually did mow yesterday! All of a sudden I'm seeing Good Squad showing up on blogs again and I'm tempted to pull it off the shelf and give it a try. I kind of got put off about it a few months ago when the reviews were so mixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - The mixed reviews for Goon Squad made me avoid it for a long time, too, and only picked it up now because of my book club. I'm enjoying it, but have no idea where it's going or how (if?) it will all tie together.

      Delete
  6. You will definitely need to report back on the power point section in audio, that's something I just can't imagine! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Goon Squad more than you anticipated and I'm curious to see how you'll feel at the end :) Enjoy your Sunday@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria - I'll definitely report back about Goon Squad and the power point on audio. Like I just said to Lisa, I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but have no idea where it's going or how (if?) it will all tie together.

      Delete
  7. My husband has been loving this early spring... he mowed the lawn twice in one week! It's a little much. I hope Clarissa moves more smoothly soon and you begin to feel like you are gaining ground. Happy continued spring breaking with your daughters:) Having an interesting weekend here... my oldest has a school project where she takes care of a pretend baby...hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy - Clarissa seems to be picking up again, but I'm still several days behind. Have seen those 'pretend baby' projects, but I don't think our school does anything like that. How did your daughter do with it?

      Delete
  8. I think we will be mowing this week to! Unheard of that's for sure. I was sorry to see your team lose to Ohio State (hate em!) and also my beloved Spartys went home too. Stinks big time!! Hope your week is wonderful and that you get your head above water on Clarissa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci - That game was quite a heart-breaker...guess I'll never be an Ohio St. fan either! Louisville is definitely the underdog, but I'll root for The Big East a little longer.

      Delete
  9. Still waiting for our Spring Break to hit. Soon.. not soon enough though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti - It's been crazy with all three girls having different breaks this year! Hope yours gets here soon :-)

      Delete
  10. I agree that Clarissa is getting repetive - no wonder it's so long! He needed a better editor. :) I hoping to catch up on the last week of letters so I can post a full update on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey Sparks - Seems that no matter how much I read, I'm still a week behind! My post may not reflect the whole month :-(

      Delete
  11. I just posted about the Goon Squad - I think I would have preferred to read the print version instead of listening to it on audio because the timeline jumps around so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya - Your review was great! I ended up enjoying Goon Squad very much, but the audio was a challenge. The PowerPoint chapter was MUCH more powerful in print. Hope to write my review within the next week or two. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails