Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tuesday Intro: A Visit From the Goon Squad

It began in the usual way, in the bathroom of the Lassimo Hotel. Sasha was adjusting her yellow eye shadow in the mirror when she noticed a bag on the floor beside the sink that must have belonged to the woman whose peeing she could faintly hear through the vaultlike door of a toilet stall. Inside the rim of the bag, barely visible, was a wallet made of pale green leather. It was easy for Sasha  to recognize, looking back, that the peeing woman's blind trust had provoked her: We live in a city where people will steal the hair off your head if you give them half a chance, but you leave your stuff lying in plain sight and expect it tot be waiting for you when you come back? It made her want to teach the woman a lesson. But this wish only camouflaged the deeper feeling Sasha always had: that fat, tender wallet, offering itself to her hand -it seemed so dull, so life-as-usual to just leave it there rather than seize the moment, take the leap, fly the coop, throw caution to the wind, live dangerously ("I get it," Coz, her therapist, said), and take the fucking thing.
A Visit From the Goon Squad
by Jennifer Egan

I've decided to try a combination read/listen strategy with our next book club selection. Reactions to A Visit From the Goon Squad  have been mixed among my blogging friends, but Sandy's audio review made me curious. With several hours of driving scheduled last weekend, I decided to begin by listening. The book jumps around in time and its focus keeps shifting between several different characters, yet I find myself fully invested - very surprising!

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book she decided to read based on the opening paragraph(s). Feel free to grab the banner and play along.



16 comments:

  1. It is surprising, isn't it? I felt like I was being yanked all over the place, but I couldn't stop. It definitely isn't an audio for the new listener, but I think you will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy - I am totally shocked! Can't believe how much I'm enjoying this, but also can't believe how much effort I've spent avoiding it until now.

      Delete
  2. I've been dying to listen to this audio and that intro will make me get to it sooner than later on the iPod.....WOW -- seems addictive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - I think Sandy is right when she says this is not an audio for new listener, but you certainly don't fall into that category. I'm glad I had a large block of time to really get into it though.

      Delete
  3. I'm determined to read this book this year. I have it downloaded on my Kindle but I am struggling with it. Maybe I should find the audio version. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot - I have a print version from the library. Think I may need to look a few things up, plus I understand there is a Power Point presentation ahead. The combination approach seems to be working so far.

      Delete
  4. I'm afraid this one didn't work for me. I was listening to the audio book. At first, I was wondering... did I put in the right CD, because a new chapter brings in totally different characters and story. Is this a short stories collection, I wondered at first. Anyway, I admit I had to quit in the middle, so I didn't get to listen to the Power Point presentation... But maybe reading it could bring a different experience. Hope you'll enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arti - I still don't have a clue where this book is going and I am half way through! Listening for a large block of time at the beginning really helped - it at least allowed me to realize this is not a cohesive, linear novel. I usually hate books like this, but now I must finish to see what Egan is trying to do.

      Delete
  5. Glad that you're enjoying it!!! I am now seriously addicted to audio books! Who would've thought? You are to blame!! :D and Diane!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci - Aren't audiobooks great?! They really add a whole different dimension to a book. There are several authors I know consider to be 'audio authors' - I choose to listen rather than read their work.

      Delete
  6. I've been on the fence about this book. It will take some more rave reviews to get me to take the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nise' - I definitely would not have chosen this book without the push from my book club!

      Delete
  7. I can't get past the mention of yellow eye shadow. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Softdrink - Yellow eyeshadow is kind of gross if you ask me...

      Delete
  8. I love this type of dual reading. I'm glad you're enjoying reading this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vasilly - I think I'll be happy to have a print copy when the Power Point presentation surfaces!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails