Friday, March 30, 2012

Trespass by Rose Tremain (audio)


Trespass
By Rose Tremain
Narrated by Juliet Stevenson
AudioGO
9 hours, 51 minutes

Publisher's Summary:
An electrifying novel about disputed territory, sibling love, and devastating revenge.

In a silent valley in southern France stands an isolated stone farmhouse, the Mas Lunel. Aramon, the owner, is so haunted by his violent past that he's become incapable of all meaningful action, letting his hunting dogs starve and his land go to ruin.
Meanwhile, his sister, Audrun, alone in her modern bungalow within sight of the Mas Lunel, dreams of exacting retribution for the unspoken betrayals that have blighted her life. Into this closed world comes Anthony Verey, a wealthy but disillusioned antiques dealer from London. When he sets his sights on the Mas, frightening and unstoppable consequences are set in motion.

My thoughts:
I've been meaning to read Rose Tremain for ages and am glad I finally made time to listen to Trespass. The story drew me in right away, but for a long time the opening scene didn't quite fit with what followed. It jumped from a young schoolgirl on a picnic, to a fading antiques dealer in London, to a simmering family feud in the south of France. Each story is fascinating in itself, but all the more rewarding when they converge for a most satisfactory conclusion. This novel kept me motivated to walk on the treadmill a little longer each time I listened.

A note on the audio:
Juliet Stevenson is an outstanding narrator and her British accent is perfect for this novel. Although she has fifty different credits to her name at audible.com, this my first experience listening to her. It won't be my last - I've downloaded her narration of North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.

My rating:






Jen at Devourer of Books collects audiobook reviews every Friday for her Sound Bytes feature. Stop by and read her review, then click over to see what others have posted. Feel free to link up your own audiobook review, too.

26 comments:

  1. The story had me a bit lost for while, but I did love how it came together, and Juliet Stevenson was so fabulous that I was committed to stick to it until the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen - I patiently waited for it all to come together, although that opening scene didn't fit for the longest time. Juliet Stevenson was wonderful!

      Delete
  2. LOL, I may be a little slow on the uptake; but your review finally got through to me! I've been hearing nothing but raves for Juliet Stevenson's narration and, it sounds like a story I would love: original, moody and memorable. So, I'm putting it on my TBL list now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dog eared copy - Juliet Stevenson is an excellent narrator and her voice added so much to the story! She has many classics credits on audible.com, too. I'm looking forward to North and South.

      Delete
  3. Any book that keeps you on the treadmill sounds worthwhile to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhapsodyinbooks - You've got that right! every quarter mile helps.

      Delete
  4. I don't like it when I don't know how the different parts of the story fit together, but the premise of the book sounds great. I have this on my wishlist already but couldn't quite remember why. Your review makes me want to read it soon!

    I don't listen to audio books but I agree Juliet Stevenson has a beautiful voice. I think I could probably listen to her as a narrator quite easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith - I hope you get a chance to read it soon. Several of Tremain's other books are on my wish list (both print and audio).

      Delete
  5. I have been wavering back and forth on this one. I definitely want to read something by Rose Tremain at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reviewsbylola - Almost every single one of Tremain's books are on my wish list. I chose to listen to this one primarily because of the reader.

      Delete
  6. I've seen this one before and I was curious about it. It sounds like a good one to listen too. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene - Audio was definitely a good choice for this novel!

      Delete
  7. You had me at London, the south of France and Juliet Stevenson! This is going on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey - London and the south of France got me, too. Juliet Stevenson sealed the deal!

      Delete
  8. It is all about wanting to work out longer, and if an audio accomplishes this, it gets a thumbs up! I actually enjoy the "puzzle" of figuring out how seemingly unrelated plot lines converge. It is when they DON'T that I lose it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy - I enjoy that puzzle, too, so waiting for it to come together wasn't a problem for me. Speaking of working out, your efforts are definitely paying off - you look great in the UCF book festival picture you posted today!

      Delete
  9. I've seen Rose Tremain's name in reviews but have never come across any of her books. I agree that Juliet Stevenson would be a wonderful narrator - though hearing her reading would probably send me back to watch Truly Madly Deeply again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa May - I'll definitely be reading more of Rose Tremain and listening to more of Juliet Stevenson!

      Delete
  10. I think I'm getting pretty good at this audio thing because I immediately recognized Juliet's name!! She read Emma and I loved her voice so much that I made sure the other Austen books and Bronte that I purchased was narrated by her! Now, I have to go put this audio title in my wishlist!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci - You are fast becoming an audiobook whiz! Juliet Stevenson will be a draw for any classics titles I choose in the future, too.

      Delete
  11. this sounds so right up my alley and while i don't normally do audios for fiction, juliet stevenson is awesome and i might have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie - Juliet Stevenson was excellent. Think I enjoyed this more on audio than I would have in print!

      Delete
  12. Oh, I adore Juliet Stevenson. She manages to 'steal the show' as they say, no matter how small her performance is.

    I knew she did quite a few audiobook performances, but I haven't yet listened to any of them. I would imagine she infuses the text with a lively spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana - I didn't realize she had so many audiobook credits. She really did a marvelous job... can't wait to listen to North and South!

      Delete
  13. I've been wanting to read Tremain too. Anything that'll keep you on the treadmill longer must be good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacybuckeye - Not sure whether to attribute the motivation to keep walking to the story or the narrator, but I do know this combination was excellent!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails