Friday, October 21, 2016

Book Brief: Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson


Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption
by Bryan Stevenson
Spiegel & Grau, 2014
352 pages
source: borrowed from library

Audiobook
narrated by  Bryan Stevenson
 Random House Audio, 2014
11 hours and 4 minutes
source: borrowed from library

Publisher's summary:
A powerful true story about the potential for mercy to redeem us, and a clarion call to fix our broken system of justice - from one of the most brilliant and influential lawyers of our time.

Bryan Stevenson was a young lawyer when he founded the Equal Justice Initiative, a legal practice dedicated to defending those most desperate and in need: the poor, the wrongly condemned, and women and children trapped in the farthest reaches of our criminal justice system. One of his first cases was that of Walter McMillian, a young man who was sentenced to die for a notorious murder he insisted he didn’t commit. The case drew Bryan into a tangle of conspiracy, political machination, and legal brinksmanship - and transformed his understanding of mercy and justice forever.

Just Mercy  is at once an unforgettable account of an idealistic, gifted young lawyer’s coming of age, a moving window into the lives of those he has defended, and an inspiring argument for compassion in the pursuit of true justice.

My thoughts:

This book!
It made me angry.
It made me cry.
It made me think.

You should read it, too... better yet, listen.

"We need more hope, we need more mercy, we need more justice."

My rating:

24 comments:

  1. I love books like this, something to make you think and arouse emotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina - And it's definitely that kind of book!

      Delete
  2. I plan to listen to this in November, which is when I hope to read only nonfiction for the entire month. I've heard great things about the book, so I'm eager to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - I haven't seen anything about nonfiction November yet, but I hope to read one or two next month. This would be an excellent choice/

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Kathy - So do I! I'm recommending it to my mother and sisters, too.

      Delete
  4. I love stories like this, in books and on tv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - I need to find more television shows that are like this...

      Delete
  5. Well, judging by your review, i might not get to this, but I'm intrigued and inspired by the lawyers idea anway. I believe in mercy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara - I just couldn't come up with the right words for this book, but still wanted to let other readers know how much I loved it.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Patty. I really wanted to write more and be more specific, but just couldn't find the right words.

      Delete
  7. I will! One of the many ways I'd like to broaden my reading...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey - It real is a remarkable and eye-opening book... I hope you get a chance to listen. The author will be speaking here in early May and I want to plan our return from FL around it.

      Delete
  8. I just picked up the audio from the library yesterday but, I'm not quite ready to begin it yet. I have a mystery going on audio right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds powerful. I will look for the audio at the library. Will this book make me lose all hope in the U.S. system?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - No, not all hope. There have been some encouraging changes over the past several years... baby steps. The author has even argued cases before the US Supreme Court. An impressive book!

      Delete
  10. I haven't seen this around but I'll definitely be looking for it. It would make a great gift for my girl who has just decided to major in criminal justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - This book was the darling of Nonfiction November a couple years ago and has been on my wish list ever since. If your daughter is interested in the subject, she is sure to love this one!

      Delete
  11. I have seen this book mentioned a couple of times already during Nonfiction November. I love a book that can make me feel as deeply as this one promises to. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toady - This is a book I'll be recommending for a long time. Hope you get a chance to read or listen soon!

      Delete
  12. Yay! I love a book that gives my brain and emotions a workout. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toady - Yes, this book really put me through the wringer both mentally and emotionally. SO, so good!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails