Thursday, March 12, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - March 12



It's Thursday! Tami inspired this week’s question:

What book do you think should be made into a movie? And do you have any suggestions for the producers?
Or, What book do you think should NEVER be made into a movie?


The first thing that comes to mind is one of my all-time favorite books, Wallace Stegner's Crossing to Safety. The story centers around two couples that meet during the Depression and follows them through the course of a life-long friendship. It doesn't sound all that exciting, but it contains the most stunning character development I've ever read.

Another possibility is the Benjamin Black (John Banville's alter ego) crime thriller series featuring pathologist Garret Quirke. Christine Falls and The Silver Swan would make exciting films!

The second part of the question, which book should never be made into a movie, resulted in an "oh, wait a minute" moment. My answer is the same as part one! Movies made of books I love are often a disappointment and I'd rather not risk it with Crossing to Safety.
You can play along or read other answers to today's BTT here.

7 comments:

  1. A strong character would make a good movie. My response is here:
    http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/2009/03/booking-through-thursday-movie.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checked out Benjamen Black novels, they would make good movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of these books before, I'll have to look them up.

    Here's my post:

    http://athomewithbooks.blogspot.com/2009/03/booking-through-thursday-march-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally - Thanks for the link. I left a comment on your blog.

    zetor - I think Dr. Quirk is a great character!

    Alyce - Thanks so much for visiting! I liked your answer and left a comment there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not familiar with these works but what a terrific question. I love the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon and there has been talk of a movie. I hope not! I have my own movie in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darlene,
    The Outlander series was mentioned by several BTT posters this week, but I've only read the first book. One post said the movie is already in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I will not watch, I will not watch...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails