Friday, July 13, 2012

Six by Six: A Midyear Summary


It was originally Jo's idea (I think), but other bloggers have tweaked the categories to fit their reading habits. I'll do the same and call it my midyear summary.


Six new-to-me authors:
1. E.L. Doctorow
2. Sadie Jones
3. Rose Tremain
4. Samuel Richardson
5. Jennifer Egan
6. Amor Towles

Six tried-and true authors:
1. E.M. Forster
2. Anna Quindlen
3. Stewart O'Nan
4. Anne Enright
5. Ian McEwan
6. Pete Hamill

Six books I loved:
1. The Homecoming of Samuel Lake by Jenny Wingfield
2. You Know When the Men are Gone by Siobhan Fallon
3. Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen
4. Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
5. The Makioka Sisters by Junichiro Tanizaki
6. The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright

Six trips to Europe:
1. Where Angels Fear to Tread by E.M. Forster
2. The Comfort of Strangers by Ian McEwan
3. Miss Garnet's Angel by Salley Vickers
4. Trespass by Rose Tremain
5. You Deserve Nothing by Alexander Maksik
6. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Six blogging events I enjoyed:
1. Clarissa group read (ongoing)
2. Venice in February
3. Audiobook Week
4. Pin It and Do It challenge
5. TBR Double Dare (even though I failed)
6. The Classics Club

Six bookish things I'm looking forward to:
1. finishing Clarissa
2. Paris in July (we're here!)
3. listening to The End of the Affair read by Colin Firth
4. Carl's RIP challenge
5. Pin It and Do It,  Round 2
6. Holiday reading





26 comments:

  1. That is a cool way to do a mid-year summary! How are you liking Firth on audio??????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci - I haven't started listening to The End of the Affair yet, but I think Colin Firth could read the phone book and I'd love it ;-)

      Delete
    2. I second your thoughts on Colin Firth. ;)

      Delete
  2. Colin Firth reading an audiobook? Please excuse while I faint... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey - Hope you've recovered now ;-) Audible.com has started a new series of classics narrated by well-known actors and actresses... can't wait to listen to this one!

      Delete
  3. I do believe my new resolve to take back the fun will finally allow me to do the RIP challenge! I'm with Audrey - I think I might be so wrapped up in Firth's voice that I forgot to listen to the story! On the other hand, exactly the right way to make a good book better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - Hope you can participate in RIP this year, it's always a good time. I never considered that Colin Firth's voice would distract me from the story, but am starting to wonder now...

      Delete
  4. Everyone loves Samuel Lake - I really must read that! These lists are playing havoc with the TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat - Yes, yes, yes... read The Homecoming of Samuel Lake!

      Delete
  5. So glad that one of the things you enjoyed was Venuce in February! Me, too, and I'm looking forward to doing it again this winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellezza - It's almost time to start making a list for this winter ;-)

      Delete
  6. You've reminded me to try again with Anna Quindlen. Only read one of her books and I quite liked it. Need to read this new title,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vintage Reading - Quindlen's new memoir is outstanding... a must-read for every woman nearing 50!

      Delete
  7. Nice! I'm so stealing this idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie - Be my guest! I'll be looking for your lists.

      Delete
  8. Love this! What a fantastic way to do a mid-year progress report. I hope you're have a fantastic time in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - Thanks! I'm having a great time in Paris ;-)

      Delete
  9. How nice to see the TBR Double Dare mentioned here and to see that you enjoyed it. I'm hoping for a TBR Double Dog Dare in 2013. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're already past the midyear point, but I still want to do this meme! Hopefully, this weekend.

    I love that The Homecoming of Samuel Lake is on your list. I loved that book so much!I think it may be my #1 read of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - The Homecoming of Samuel Lake will definitely be on my list at the end of the year, too. Lately, I've taken to putting it's cover face out in bookstores where only the spine is visible ;-)

      Delete
  11. Fun! I was going to say the same thing as Audrey! Love Colin Firth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacybuckeye - How can you not love an audiobook with Colin Firth narrating??

      Delete
  12. I do not even understand how I ended up right here, however I assumed this put up was good.

    I don't understand who you're however definitely you're going to a well-known blogger if you aren't already.
    Cheers!
    my web site > JackpotCity

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails