Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day with Jane Austen


 Quotes from Jane Austen on Love and Romance, edited by Constance Moore:

What a strange thing love is!
- Emma Woodhouse, Emma

I suppose there may be a hundred different ways of being in love.
- Emma Woodhouse, Emma

A woman in love with one man cannot flirt with another.
-Catherine Morland, Northanger Abbey

...it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life.
-Charlotte Lucas, Pride & Prejudice

It would be an excellent match, for he was rich, and she was handsome.
- Sense and Sensibility

You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope... I have loved none but you.
- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion

A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.
- Fitzwilliam Darcy, Pride & Prejudice

If you go on refusing every offer of marriage, you will never get a husband at all.
- Mrs. Bennet, Pride & Prejudice

Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance.
- Charlotte Lucas, Pride & Prejudice

When two sympathetic hearts meet in the marriage state, matrimony may be called a happy life.
- Mary Crawford, Mansfield Park

Of course, the real reason to feature Jane Austen quotes is the excuse to include a photograph of "my" Mr. Darcy, Colin Firth. Happy Valentine's Day!




20 comments:

  1. I think the quotes from Charlotte Lucas and Catherine Morland should be immortalized by Hallmark!

    Great collection--I enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great post for valentine's day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Colin Firth! Great present for us! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good reason to post, indeed! Happy Valentine's Day to you JoAnn. And, I've got a good reason to post a Colin photo too today... ;)

    Arti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post for Valentine's Day!

    The Darcy post is the best - I have known lots of girls like that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah baby. If only that white puffy shirt were wet...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, I think I need to read Persuasion! What a perfect post for today. :) (and you know we all appreciate the picture--but I think you'll have to share "your" Darcy with many...).

    ReplyDelete
  8. But of course!! I love Colin Firth!!!! Those quotes are wonderful. My favorite is from Captain Frederick Wentworth...made my heart beat a little faster. I should copy it down and make my husband say it to me daily!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite isn't on the list - Mr Knightley to Emma: "If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last night my husband took our daughter to see Hay Fever in London. I had no idea who was in the cast, after the show he told me Jeremy Northam was in it. "He's MY Mr Knightley!" I cried over Skype, some people have all the luck.

    Fabulous post and Happy Valentine's Day, JoAnn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. JaneGS - Hallmark could have some fun with those!

    Marie - Thanks!

    Julie - Happy Valentine's Day!

    Rhapsodyinbooks - A little something for everyone;-)

    Arti - Will be right over to see what Colin is up to at Ripple Effects today!

    Sam - Unfortunately, so have I.

    Sandy - Check out this article on the wet shirt:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/4001426/Colin-Firths-Mr-Darcy-didnt-take-wet-shirt-scene-plunge-says-shows-director.html

    Trish - That quote made me think it's time to reread Persuasion, too!

    Staci - Now there's an idea!! Wonder if my husband would go for that one...

    Lisa May - Oh, I love that one, too!

    Darlene - Oh no, not fair that he got to see YOUR Mr. Knightley while you were at home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Loved reading those quotes JoAnn. Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite is the Wentworth...*swoon*.

    ReplyDelete
  14. JoAnn: Just replied your comment on my blogpost at Ripple Effects. Included a link for you to watch CF coming to the rescue of MS at BAFTA. If you haven't seen it, it's a must-see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Colin Firth...sigh... Fun reading, too. Thanks, JoAnn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect post for Valentine's Day - even if I'm reading this a day late. It's nice seeing all those love-ly quotes together in one place, as well as Mr. Darcy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Diane - Hope you had a great Valentine's Day. Nothing like Jane Austen to set the mood.

    Softdrink - See Staci's comment above... wonder if Hamburger would go for that ; -)

    Arti - Thank you! I missed that video. Just shared it on my daughter's facebook wall, too.

    DS - Colin Firth and Jane Austen were just meant for Valentine's Day. Hope you had a good one!

    Margot - LOL! Glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was perfect for Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Wentworth, will you be my Valentine? They need to make a movie that will do my Captain justice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stacybuckeye - Mr. Darcy will always be my valentine, but after reading Wentworth's line, I know it's time to reread Persuasion. Don't think I've ever seen a movie adaptation...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails