Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Years of August Reading


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly event hosted by Jana at That Artsy Reader Girl. It's been a while since I played along, but this week's prompt was too interesting to skip! 

What did your last ten years of August reading look like? I chose one memorable August book from each of the last ten summers.



2025 - Abide with Me by Elizabeth Strout
Last summer I became an Elizabeth Strout completist!


2024 - The Annotated Persuasion by Jane Austen, David Shapard
Another year of Austen in August


2023 Tom Lake by Ann Patchett
When Ann Patchett publishes a new novel, I read it immediately!


2022 Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt
I loved this audio production and can still hear the voice of Marcellus!


2021 - The Street by Ann Petry
What a memorable experience it was to read this classic in the author's hometown!


2020 - Beach Read by Emily Henry
If ever there was a summer that called for light reading, 2020 was it!


2019 - The Leavers by Lisa Ko
I still think about this book and, sadly, it's still relevant.


2018The Perfect Couple by Elin Hilderbrand
If it's summer, there must be a new Elin Hiderbrand novel!



2017 - My Life with Bob by Pamela Paul
Delightfully bookish memoir from the former editor of the NYTimes Book Review.


2016Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher
Very funny... in a passive-aggressive kind of way!




This topic was suggested by Anne at Head Full of Books.
Find other Top Ten Tuesday posts here.
 

26 comments:

  1. These are great! Beach Read and The Perfect Couple are on my TBR. This is such a fun topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne - They are both great choices for summer reading!

      Delete
  2. I've read a lot of these! I loved The Leavers, Tom Lake, and Remarkably Bright Creatures. I also love Elizabeth Strout but I'm way behind on her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. curlygeek - I think we have similar reading taste! There were several books that I loved on your list, too.

      Delete
  3. I love Elizabeth Strout's writing, too. I wonder how close I am to being a completest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne - I read (and loved) Strout's latest novel, too, so I'm still a completist!

      Delete
  4. I love your list! I've read 6 of your 10, and three of the others have been on my TBR. The memoir sounds good, and I need to add that one to the TBR.
    Looking back in my reading history, I found several Elizabeth Strout books read in the summer, too. I think I may be a completist except for the very latest one. I liked her books before she was famous! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie - That's a lot of overlap! Elizabeth Strout has been a favorite for years.

      Delete
  5. JoAnn, you and I are generally in agreement about most books so it's interesting to see what you were reading for the past ten years. I think I'm most surprised to see that you only were reading one nonfiction in the last ten years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb - It seems like I usually read at least one big nonfiction book each summer. This year my nonfiction reading is practically nonexistent! It might even be an all-time low right now, but I'm hoping to get to a few more titles before the end of the year.

      Delete
  6. Reads covering many genres. Nice selection too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've loved seeing these lists. Lots of fun to check out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay - It's been a long time since I've enjoyed reading TTT posts this much!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Lydia - Tom Lake was a standout read for me. Ann Patchett is just so good!

      Delete
  9. Fun post! I'm inspired to look at my Goodreads lists and see what I was reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have so many of these on my TBR though the only one I've read is Tom Lake which I very much enjoyed. So fun to see your reading over the years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - Ann Patchett is just so good! What a fun TTT topic this has been.

      Delete
  11. Good list of books you read. Pamela Paul shouldn't have left the NYT Book Review .... darn. I read The Leavers not too long ago ..... a good read. I'm curious about The Street .... I have not read that classic. thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - We don't hear much from Pamela Paul these days, do we? I do enjoy listening to Gilbert Cruz on the podcast though. The Leavers really stopped me in my tracks when I read it... couldn't get it out of my head for the longest time, and I still think about it every once in a while. I really loved The Street. It has a contemporary feel to it. The Narrows is waiting on my kindle now.

      Delete
  12. That is an irresistible prompt, and what excellent August reads you have listed.

    I still think about The Leavers too--I wonder if Lisa Ko has anything new out. Such a good, and relevant, book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JaneGS - This is the best TTT prompt ever... so much fun reading through everyone's list! I had to look up Lisa Ko and she published a novel in 2024 called Memory Piece. Don't think I ever heard anything about it.

      Delete
    2. I just read about Memory Piece on GoodReads, and it doesn't rate very high. I will give it a pass as there are so many other books out there to choose from.

      Delete
    3. JaneGS - Same here, and for exactly the same reasons.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails