It's August and still very much summer around here. We've had way too much heat and humidity (along with much of the country) punctuated by frequent thunderstorms. This past week our NYC daughter, son-in-law, and Winnie the Whippet have been here - their last visit before the baby arrives at the end of the month. Meanwhile our CT daughter and son-in-law are looking at an early October due date. It's going to be an exciting fall!
July highlights included spending the 4th with family, celebrating my birthday, a long weekend in NYC, and a baby shower. July also turned out to be a very good reading month with a mix of new releases, a book club selection, and a classic. I enjoyed three new-to-me authors, plus a novel/memoir by an old favorite.
BOOKS READ IN JULY
Sisters of a Halved Heart by Nayantara Roy
New release, literary fiction, MMD book club selection,
my thoughts here, ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Departure(s) by Julian Barnes
Literary fiction that reads more like a memoir, purported final novel by a favorite author
My thoughts are here, ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫
Kin by Tayari Jones
new release literary fiction, new-to-me author
My thoughts are here, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Daddy Long-Legs by Jean Webster
Classic, YA epistolary novel, from my shelves
My thoughts are here, ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫
ONGOING GROUP READ
The chapter-a-day slow read with Footnotes and Tangents continues. I'm loving this experience!
AUGUST READING POSSIBILITIES
I'm going all in for Austen in August this year!
The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, David Shapard
(in progress)
The Other Bennet Sister by Janice Hadlow
Jane Austen at Home by Lucy Worsley (nonfiction)
by Irena Smith (memoir)
How was your July? What was your favorite book?










I loved Daddy-Long Legs and will be reading your thoughts mometarily. My favorite book from July was A Brewed Awakening by Pepper Basham. My monthly wrap-up is here, if you are interested: https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2026/08/july-reading-wrap-up-2026.html
ReplyDeleteCindy - Dady Long Legs was such a lovely book, and definitely reminiscent of less complicated times. Thanks for the link!
DeleteWhat a wonderful month! I can't believe you're going to get two grandbabies within a month or so of each other. I love that the cousins will be so close in age.
ReplyDeleteHelen - We are practically beside ourselves with excitement! I grew up with a cousin very close to my age and I'm so thankful these two babies will have that experience, too!
DeleteIt sounds like you have such an exciting fall ahead with two new grandbabies arriving! I was born and raised in Connecticut, so I always enjoy seeing a CT connection too. Happy Reading!
ReplyDeleteKat - We lived in CT years ago after we were first married and are happy to be back again. This will definitely be a very eventful fall!
DeleteSounds like a good July for you. Sometimes I think the weather you guys have been having up north is warmer than here. I hope you have a good week!
ReplyDeleteYvonne - I have both places on the weather ap on my phone and that's been the case more often than I'd like to admit! It's been an unusual summer.
DeleteI like your Austen in August theme. My favorite book that I read in July was Tides Wait for No Witch, by Natalie Summers. She was a new-to-me author and it won't be the last book I read by her. :)
ReplyDeleteMeezan - I'm glad you discovered a new author in July! That's always the best feeling.
DeleteYou've got some great books ready for Austen in August. I especially want to try to read The Other Bennet Sister. I had it in my hands, but I had to send it back to the library before I got a chance to read it. Enjoy! I'm looking forward to the arrivals of the new grandbabies.
ReplyDeleteWhat a special month you had with so much to celebrate. I hope that August will be just as wonderful for you.
ReplyDelete