Sunday, October 27, 2024

Sunny Days and Changing Leaves


Hello, friends... hard to believe it's Sunday already. The week really flew as we mostly finished our bathroom remodel (still waiting on a light fixture and shower doors), enjoyed more gorgeous fall weather, and read great books. I'm calling it a win!

Recent reading//


This is the follow-up to one my favorite novels from last year, The Road to Dalton. Five years have passed since our last visit to "the county." Now it's the summer of 1995 and we're back in Maine's northernmost reaches to check in on old friends. What have they been up to and, more importantly, how are they coping with the unexpected death which occurred in book one? I loved learning how some characters are thriving while others flounder, and seeing how relationships deepen or become fragile and stressed. It was interesting to note how even attitudes toward Dalton itself had evolved. This is another character-driven novel that delighted me from the first page. It is easily one of my favorite books of 204. 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Current reading//



I used an audible credit for this memoir read by the author, then the library came through a couple of days ago with the ebook. Halfway through and I'm enjoying it quite a bit!



 
The Sequel by Jean Hanff Korelitz

This was another ebook surprise courtesy of my FL library. How I got to the top of the hold list so soon, I'll never know! Just settling in and I can't wait to see how this story unfolds.


The week ahead//

Halloween is here! I'm loving all the decorations around town this year. We'll have some candy for the trick-or-treaters, but I'll be surprised if we get more than two or three. We're planning a dinner with friends one night, and also looking forward to a visit next weekend from our daughter, son-in-law, and grandpup. My sister-in-law will be in the area, too, so we'll also get to spend time her and her bernerdoodle puppy!



Nonfiction November kicks off this week! Read all about it here.


How was your week? What have you been reading?



The Sunday Salon is hosted by Deb at Readerbuzz.










 

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder! Just jumped on the holds list for Ina's book. Wait time approx 88 days.

    Sounds like a nice week behind you and a nice one ahead of you. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halloween is totally all around us — our neighborhood must have more than 20 of those 20 foot skeletons, all in various disguises, and I can’t even guess the number of ordinary sized skeletons, animal skeletons, partial skeletons, pumpkins, spiders, and whatever. I hope you enjoy it, and that you do get a few trick-or-treaters. The intense atmosphere of our area attracts dozens of kids, so we have lots of candy ready.
    best…mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe I am the first to comment--usually I am late to the party! Anyway, so glad to hear Where the Forest Meets the River delivered--I want to read this soon as I loved her first book as well.

    I have always been an Ina Garten fan, and a couple of my favorite recipes that I make a lot are hers. I might give this one a listen as well.

    My twins' birthday is Halloween, so we always celebrate, decorate, and enjoy the fun vibe. Happy Halloween :)

    Thanks for the heads up on Nonfiction November. I have never participated, but I think I will this year as I have a couple nonfictions on the top of the TBR pile and I like the weekly prompts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never read Ina Garten. This looks good. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are enjoying the Ina Garten book. It's always a surprise to me when a book arrives for me long before I expected it.

    My birthday is the day after Halloween, so I always felt like everyone dressed up and passed out candy just to celebrate my day. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just put The Plot on my TBR -- I better get to it since The Sequel is already available!

    I'm taking part of my Sunday to set up Nonfiction November posts. I'm looking forward to seeing what others have read and adding more books to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for a good week. I love fall, the picture of the tree is so pretty! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on completing the bathroom remodel! I bet it looks wonderful. Have a wonderful week ahead JoAnn. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  9. I look forward to seeing what you think of The Sequel. Normally we don't get a real "Fall" here in So Cal, but I have one tree outside my house that has colored leaves. It makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guess you'll be moving down to Florida for the winter? Hope it's a nice one after all summer hurricane activity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty tree up top. The leaves will be gorgeous soon. So glad that Bowring delivers again! I loved her storytelling in book 1 and I liked the audio version. Not sure when I will get to book 2. Happy Halloween! Enjoy your grandpup and take a pic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ina's book is our Cook the Books Club selection for Feb/March '25. Guess I'd better get on the library reserve list. I seem to have noticed waaaay more Halloween stuff locally than ever before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails