Sunday, September 29, 2024

My Fall Reading List



With the end of September fast approaching, it's past time for a fall reading list. I put this one together a few weeks ago, got distracted by our daughter's wedding, and never got around to sharing it. Better late than never, right?

As you know, I'm better at making lists than actually following through and reading from them. BUT my summer reading list  really kept me focused for a few months and I'm hoping for a similar outcome this time. I do have several library holds, mostly literary prize nominees, that could complicate things. We'll see how it goes...


2024 FALL READING LIST



The Safekeep by Yael van her Wouden
Booker Prize short list (completed)




A Great Marriage by Frances Mayes
New fiction from an author I enjoy (completed)




Tell Me Everything by Elizabeth Strout
new fiction from a favorite author (in progress)



Sequel to The Road to Dalton, a 2024 favorite




Nathan Coulter by Wendell Berry
The first novel in the Port William series and an author I've been meaning to read




Olympus, Texas by Stacey Swann
A debut novel that's been on my shelf for a few years, October selection of MMD book club



The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
1989 Booker Prize winner




Small Mercies by Dennis Lehane
An author I've been meaning to read for years



Nature nonfiction with beautiful artwork (in progress)



84, Charing Cross Road is a nonfiction favorite, but I've never read Hanff's visit to London


What books are you looking forward to this fall?  Have you made a reading list?




16 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Small Mercies and think you will too. I'd like to read more of his novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - I'm glad to hear that! Read a sample of Small Mercies and have a feeling I'm going to enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I really like your fall reading list; it includes three books I really like a lot. The Safekeep and Small Mercies are memorable novels that really impressed me, and I'm just over half-way through Tell Me Everything and am really liking that one, too. Elizabeth Strout is just a wonderful writer, and I find it very easy to immerse myself into the worlds she creates. Oh...and your photo makes me wish we had more fall color down here than we do. That's a beautiful shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - The Safekeep was 4.5 stars for me - a great read! I'm hoping to finish Tell Me Everything either tonight or tomorrow and am loving it. It feels like a visit with old friends! After reading a sample of Small Mercies, I know it will be a good one too. This is a photo from last fall, but the leaves in CT are changing early this year! They're saying it's because we only had 2 days of rain in the past month... until yesterday anyway. I really love fall!

      Delete
  3. It helps me to make a list, even if I don't keep to it. Sometimes I am not sure what to pick up next, and checking the list puts me back on track.

    I've only read one of Wendell Berry's books, but I would like to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb - I've heard so many readers praise Wendell Berry but I've never read him. Figured I'd start at the beginning of the Port William novels.

      Delete
  4. I have several of those books on my reading list as well! I am going to add a few more to my fall list but realize a few will start my winter list. The Backyard Bird book is on my library holds but I am very far down the list.

    Being in hiding from Helene had me finihs two books so, I am just about caught up, list wise.

    Glad you are seeing lovely fall colors and happy your daughter's wedding was a wonderful occasion. Filling oin my planner with dates for next year I was able to look at this year's books read. I put the titles in the margin in the monthly planner. Realized we had two buddy reads this year - both Pilcher novels :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina - It may very well be winter by the time I get to some of these, but it's good to have a priority list. As long as you're stuck at home from Helene, it's good to finish up a few books! You're right, they were both Pilcher novels that we read together. Maybe we'll branch out next time! Hope you're able to get around soon as the roads and power lines are cleared.

      Delete
  5. A family wedding is exciting and a very good reason to lose track of a blog post!
    I missed the Top Ten Tuesday topic last week, which I think was a Fall Reading List, but I do want to make a fall reading list. If I can manage it!
    Small Mercies was excellent! So was Olympus (audio for me). And The Remains of the Day, too, of course (also on audio for me). The new Elizabeth Strout and Frances Mayes will definitely go on my list if I make one. Also watching for a few new mysteries in series by authors that I try to keep up with -- Louise Penny, Michael Connelly, Richard Osman, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie - Thanks for mentioning that Olympus, Texas is good on audio. I have it on my kindle, but can get the audio from my library! I've already read some great reviews of the new Richard Osman, too.

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a wonderful list! I do love Elizabeth Strout’s books and will likely read her latest after the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodie - Elizabeth Strout is probably my favorite and I'm loving her new novel!

      Delete
  7. I enjoy making lists and often I get off track, but I don't mind. I just love seeing all the books I want to read in one list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne - I know exactly what you mean... making the list is half the fun!

      Delete
  8. A lovely list, JoAnn!
    The Amy Tan's and Elizabeth Strout's are on my TBR list too. Can't wait to read your thoughts on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fanda - Both of them are excellent so far. I had no idea Amy Tan was a talented artist as well!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails