Friday, January 21, 2022

Book Brief: The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles

 


The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles
Viking, 2021
576 pages

narrated by: Edoardo Ballerini, Marin Ireland, Dion Graham
16 hours and 39 minutes


Motivation for reading: Amor Towles is a favorite. I will purchase and read anything he writes. 

Source: Hardcover borrowed from my daughter, audible audiobook

Publisher's summary (from goodreads):
In June, 1954, eighteen-year-old Emmett Watson is driven home to Nebraska by the warden of the work farm where he has just served a year for involuntary manslaughter. His mother long gone, his father recently deceased, and the family farm foreclosed upon by the bank, Emmett’s intention is to pick up his eight-year-old brother and head west where they can start their lives anew. But when the warden drives away, Emmett discovers that two friends from the work farm have hidden themselves in the trunk of the warden’s car. Together, they have hatched an altogether different plan for Emmett’s future.

Spanning just ten days and told from multiple points of view, Towles’s third novel will satisfy fans of his multi-layered literary styling while providing them an array of new and richly imagined settings, characters, and themes.

Opening lines:
June 12, 1954 - The drive from Saline to Morgan was three hours, and for much of it, Emmett hadn't said a word. For the first sixty miles or so, Warden Williams had made an effort at friendly conversation.He told a few stories about his childhood back East and asked a few questions about Emmett's on the farm. But this was the last they'd be together, and Emmett didn't see much sense in going into all of that now. So when they crossed the border from Kansas into Nebraska and the warden turned on the radio, Emmett stared out the window at the prairie, keeping his thoughts to himself.
My thoughts:

What an adventure! Amor Towles' new novel, The Lincoln Highway, is a rollicking good story. In addition to the great writing I've come to expect from this author, it features plenty of flawed, but likable characters I enjoyed spending time with. They gave voice to countless quotes and ideas that caused me to pause, reread, and think about for a few more seconds.

The characters of Billy and Woolly were particularly endearing, I wanted to hear more from Sally, but didn't see the point of including Pastor John at all. More editing might have been helpful, but the trend seems to be toward a more hand-off approach to established/successful authors.

This novel is faster-paced than A Gentleman in Moscow, though I still find the Count to be Towles' most memorable character.  It's also not nearly as tight as Rules of Civility, which remains my favorite of his three novels.

The audio production, with a cast of superstar narrators, is just wonderful! If you enjoy audiobooks, I highly recommend listening to this novel.

My rating:


20 comments:

  1. I read this in two days, I loved it. It was one of my top ten reads of 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - Glad you enjoyed it, too... what a fun read! My daughter saw Towles at Symphony Space on the West Side late last year and it sounds like he's already at work on his next novel... very different time and place apparently. I'm already looking forward to it.

      Delete
  2. I was speaking to a friend of mine who lives in Bradenton yesterday and she highly recommended this to me. I do have print and audio so I think I may start off February with it. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - The audio is SO good... an amazing cast of narrators!

      Delete
  3. I've only read one Towles novel, the Gentleman in Moscow, and liked it. This one sounds good too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - If you like A Gentleman in Moscow, I'm sure you'll enjoy this one, too.

      Delete
  4. This sounds good! I've never read this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - Rules of Civility, his first (and shortest) novel, might be the easiest to find at the library. I loved that book!

      Delete
  5. I'm reading this book right now. I love it so far. I've never read anything by this author, but I think I'll have to pick up his other books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aj - Glad you're loving it! Towles writing is just so good. I really enjoyed the characters in this book.

      Delete
  6. I am a huge fan of Towles and loved both of his previous novels. I bought a hardcover copy of this new one for my husband for Christmas and will probably do a read/listen for my book group discussion later this year. I'm so pleased to see so many positive reviews and can't wait to get to this book. Great that he's working on another one already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - I have no doubt you'll enjoy this book! It could have used some editing, but is still wonderful.

      Delete
  7. I loved it! Glad you enjoyed it too. My review here:
    https://maefood.blogspot.com/2021/11/the-lincoln-highway-by-amor-towles.html

    best... mae

    ReplyDelete
  8. I finished listening to this recently and was captivated. I had some questions and haven't reviewed it yet, but will be reading more by Amor Towles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair - Wasn't that audio production wonderful? I'll be interested to see what you think of Towles other novels. If you turn to A Gentleman in Moscow next, audio is the way to go with that one, too.

      Delete
  9. I'm curious. I really loved A Gentleman in Moscow but had heard some mixed reviews on this one so I had been a bit hesitant to pick this one up. I will have to try the audio version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - Audio is definitely the way to go here!

      Delete
  10. Nicely reviewed! Now that you, Diane, and my sister have all liked this latest Towles' novel I plan to get to it - despite its length. I have only read Rules of Civility, which I enjoyed. Someday I'll have to get to the Count. but I agree sometimes this author could use some tightening .... or editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - It really is too long, but still a good read. I think you'll enjoy it!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails