Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Tuesday Intro: Heads in Beds


Introduction
I've worked in hotels for more than a decade. I've checked you in, checked you out, oriented you to the property, served your beverages, separated your white panties from the white bedsheets, parked your car, tasted your room service (before and, sadly, after), cleaned your toilets, denied you a late checkout, given you a wake-up call, eaten M&M's out of your minibar, laughed at your jokes, and taken your money. I have been on the front lines, and by that I mean front desk, of upscale hotels for years, and I've seen it all firsthand.
HEADS IN BEDS:A Reckless Memoir of Hotels, Hustles, and So-Called Hospitality
by Jacob Tomsky

Over the weekend, I mentioned a developing reading slump. Yesterday I visited the library and came home with a half dozen potential slump-busters, including this one. It seems to be doing the trick. Heads in Beds is not great literature, or even especially well-written for that matter, but I've already turned half of its pages. Maybe I'll even finish today. Light, nonfiction, entertaining... just what the doctor ordered.

One sentence summary (from goodreads):
In the tradition of Kitchen Confidential  and Waiter Rant, a rollicking, eye-opening, fantastically indiscreet memoir of a life spent (and misspent) in the hotel industry.

What do you think of the opening? Would you keep reading?


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book she decided to read based on the opening. Feel free to grab the banner and play along.

44 comments:

  1. There's no question that sometimes a slump-buster is all you need! This one sounds like great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey - This is definitely a fun slump-buster :)

      Delete
  2. I'd read this one. The hotel industry and behind the scenes info would be fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee - I've always wondered what really goes on behind the scenes in a hotel.

      Delete
  3. The title of this one made me laugh!! And the intro did too - I like it...sometimes you need something like this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah - I think this book is just what I need right now!

      Delete
  4. This one has been on my radar for a while. It sounds like a fun little bit of nonfiction, gotta love that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for slump busting! This looks like fun beach/plane read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth F - This would be a perfect plane or bech book.

      Delete
  6. I do really like the premise of this. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picky girl - The first half has left me wanting more... looking forward to reading tonight!

      Delete
  7. Hmmm.....not sure I want to read this one. If I do, I'm afraid I may never want to stay in a hotel again! Sounds interesting, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim - Haha! I can definitely understand that feeling.

      Delete
  8. What fun! I do think something like this could break a slump...like reading about celebrities does it for me, too. Enjoy!

    Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain Snow - Exactly! I need to make note that light, fun nonfiction seemed to do the trick for me.

      Delete
  9. I like the writing in the first paragraph. It promises loads of juicy gossip and fun. I'm glad you're coming out of your slump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot - Yes, very gossipy and fun. Just what I needed!

      Delete
  10. I'd almost be afraid to read this one. LOL Do I really want to know what goes on behind the scenes at hotels? I'm sure though it would be a fun read and considering it's helping you out of your slump, I see that it must be. I don't think I would be able to resist this one if I started it. I would read one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literary Feline - I definitely hesitated for a moment or two before checking it out of the library. There are some things we're just better off not knowing ;-)

      Delete
  11. This is perfect timing! I'm about to send back the audio I was listening to because it's not working for me in audio and this was one of the possibilities to get next. I'm glad you're enjoying it despite it's flaws. Though I do kind of agree with Wendy above - do I really want to know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - That idea of not wanting to know definitely crossed my mind, too...but this seemed like too much fin to resist.

      Delete
  12. This sounds a lot of fun and like it will be very entertaining, and as you say, that's what you need sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay - Exactly! I can't be reading great literature all the time ;-)

      Delete
  13. I'm interested in this one. Glad it's helping with your slump.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Holly - I'll never look at hotel employees the same way ;-)

      Delete
  15. Have this one, but haven't read it. Glad it's working for your slump.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually have this in my library. Bought it as research for a novel where my heroine is a concierge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hmmm . . . this one doesn't quite grab me, I hope you get out of your slump soon. Sometime it's good to just take a break. Kelley at the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelley - This is very different from anything I've read in a long while. Perfect for getting out of a slump.

      Delete
  18. With as much traveling as I do, this sounds like a fun read and one that I keep meaning to pick up. Maybe I'll snag a copy before my next trip (to SF for a week with my mom in May!). Unless, he talks about bed bugs. Then I don't want to know! Or maybe I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - No mention of bedbugs yet. I'll have to stop reading if and when they come up ;-)

      Delete
  19. Sometimes you just need something silly and entertaining to get out of the slump. This book actually sounds very inviting - I would love to read it, but poor writing turns me off. I'll save it for a slump. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails