Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Tuesday Intro: Euphoria by Lily King

As they were leaving the Mumbanyo, someone threw something at them. It bobbed a few yards from the stern of the canoe. A pale brown thing.
'Another dead baby,' Fen said.
He had broken her glasses by then, so she didn't know if he was joking.
Euphoria
by Lily King

Pretty strange, right? Euphoria  is my latest audiobook and, admittedly,  I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet. I listened to the first two chapters twice, then moved on to chapter three, curious to where the narrative was heading. I'm still not quite sure...

The goodreads summary tells me:
National best-selling and award-winning author Lily King’s new novel is the story of three young, gifted anthropologists in the 1930s caught in a passionate love triangle that threatens their bonds, their careers, and, ultimately, their lives. 
English anthropologist Andrew Bankson has been alone in the field for several years, studying a tribe on the Sepik River in the Territory of New Guinea with little success. Increasingly frustrated and isolated by his research, Bankson is on the verge of suicide when he encounters the famous and controversial Nell Stone and her wry, mercurial Australian husband Fen. Bankson is enthralled by the magnetic couple whose eager attentions pull him back from the brink of despair.  
Nell and Fen have their own reasons for befriending Bankson. Emotionally and physically raw from studying the bloodthirsty Mumbanyo tribe, the couple is hungry for a new discovery. But when Bankson leads them to the artistic, female-dominated Tam, he ignites an intellectual and emotional firestorm between the three of them that burns out of anyone’s control. Ultimately, their groundbreaking work will make history, but not without sacrifice.  
Inspired by events in the life of revolutionary anthropologist Margaret Mead, Euphoria  is a captivating story of desire, possession and discovery from one of our finest contemporary novelists. 
The audio version is narrated by two favorites, Xe Sands and Simon Vance, so I'm willing to be patient for a little longer.

What do you think of the opening? Would you keep reading?


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book she decided to read based on the opening. Feel free to grab the banner and play along.

32 comments:

  1. Weird. Only the anthropology angle (my old profession) would keep me going, but I'm not sure I'd stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting to be more cognizant of the narrators, thanks to you! I was just choosing some Trollopes, and went for the Simon Vance versions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey - Simon Vance narrates Dickens and Hardy, too!

      Delete
  3. I loved this book, but I was just talking with someone on Twitter yesterday who said she wishes she had read the print version instead of the audio. I hope it picks up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Harvee - I've seen this book on a lot of year-end lists.

      Delete
  5. You had me at anthropologists...my university minor was anthropology, and Margaret Mead was iconic for us. This one does sound good. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain Snow - I'm really interested in the Margaret Meade comparisons.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Deasy Yolanda - It sure got my attention! ;-)

      Delete
  7. I am going to wait to hear your final thoughts. I have read a lot of intense, sad stuff lately and I am ready for a reprieve. Maybe later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grammajudyb - I'm curious to see where this book is going.

      Delete
  8. The opening is certainly attention getting. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My brain has turned to mush lately so I'm not sure I could handle a book that isn't clear cut. I'll be interested to see what you think of the book as a whole once you finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - It may just be that I'm too preoccupied with holiday prep to give it my full attention. We'll see how it goes...

      Delete
  10. This sounds intriguing . . . I am having trouble settling into a book right now too. I have three going that are all a little too serious and on the slower side for me right now. I need something more akin to brain candy this time of year, I think. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literary Feline - I think brain candy would be more my speed this week, too!

      Delete
  11. I have been looking at this book. I like to read about anthropologists. This seems like a good one to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Topazshell - I'll give it my undivided attention after Christmas... have seem many great reviews.

      Delete
  12. I started this one on audio and couldn't get through it; hope you have better luck. It is an odd intro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - This is definitely the strangest intro I've come across this year. I'll try again after Christmas...

      Delete
  13. I've had an ARC of this since May, when I attended Library Journal's Day of Dialog for librarians before BEA. The author also spoke as part of a panel. I was intrigued by the author, and plan to get to this novel at some point.

    I'm interested in hearing more about what you thought when you finish listening to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine - I may just start over again after Christmas...

      Delete
  14. Everyone seems to love this one, but the blurb just doesn't grab me. However, the first paragraph is a doozy...a dead baby?!

    Interested to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah - That opening really is something, lol!

      Delete
  15. With those two narrators, I would keep listening! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nise' - They are both on my list of favorites!

      Delete
  16. I've read some rave review for this. Opening sentence reminds me of something maybe from Barbara Kingsolver. I hope you post a review if you do read it because I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicola - I'm having a hard time connecting to the audio version (even though the narrators are both favorites) and wonder if it might be better in print.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails