Thursday, December 11, 2014

My Year in Books Timeline


My intentions were good, yet I have not managed to participate in A Month of Favorites hosted by  Estella's Revenge,  Girlxoxo, and Traveling with T. And even though today is technically the wrong day, I still wanted to drop in for the My Year in Books Timeline.


January:  Two weeks in Florida got the year off to a strong start! I read the first of my favorite books of 2014 -  The Gravity of Birds  by Tracy Guzeman.


February was a month devoted to spending time with favorite authors... Wally Lamb, Ann Patchett, and Jojo Moyes.

March: Just one book finished... I spent the entire month in Middlemarch.


April: Two more weeks in Florida gave me time to catch up with book club selections - The Light Between Oceans  and Defending Jacob.

May: I discovered Meg Wolitzer! The Interestings will be another 2014 favorite.


June: In terms of numbers, this was my best reading month, but I also encountered the biggest disappointment of the year - Dept. of Specualtion by Jenny Offill.

July: Only 2 books read - too much time on the lake? I don't think so...

August: The highlight of the summer and best debut novel of the year... We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas.


September was a month of classics featuring An American Tragedy, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and The Estella Society's R.I.P. readalong of The Haunting of Hill House.


October: I read and listened to THE BEST BOOKS this month!


November: I read all women authors this month, both fiction and nonfiction.

December: More classics. This time by 20th century British women - Angela Thirkell and Dorothy Whipple.

24 comments:

  1. What an interesting way to review the year--I like thinking about highlights and not just lists. I've got to get Gravity of Birds on my list for 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JaneGS - I enjoyed looking at the titles by month and evaluating, but since I'm a list junkie they will follow, too ;-)

      Delete
  2. I like the month by month format. It looks like you had a great year in reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat - It has definitely been a great reading year!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had an interesting year! I remember Department of Speculation. I decided it wasn't for me and it sounds like that was the right decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - I had a feeling that one wouldn't work for me, so I borrowed it from the library just in case.

      Delete
  4. Your year looks SO GOOD. And I still haven't read The Gravity of Birds. Shame on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andi - The Gravity of Birds is an excellent story!

      Delete
  5. You keep better records than I do. It looks like you had a great year in books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am hoping to get to We Are Not Ourselves and Dollbaby before the end of the year. We will see! I believe The Interestings will be on my favorite of 2014 list as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nise' - Brace yourself for We Are Not Ourselves! And be sure to go the audio route with Dollbaby :)

      Delete
  7. First, what a gorgeous picture of the lake! And - love the Meg Wolitzer discovery...someone else had her on their timeline as well! I also just read Florence Gordon and will be posting my review shortly. Great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah - I loved both The Interestings and Belzhar this year and will definitely be reading more Wolitzer in 2015. After all the snow we've had, my fall photo was starting to look out of place. This photo is actually from last year... the lake isn't quite frozen yet!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Diana - Overall, I'm pretty happy with my reading year.

      Delete
  9. I had We Are Not Ourselves in my hands the other day and put it back - think I shouldn't have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - We Are Not Ourselves may not be the best choice for the holidays, but definitely give it a try next year!

      Delete
  10. I've been interested in Matthew Thomas too. Hope you'll have much better year in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deasy Yolanda - We Are Not Ourselves is an emotionally draining book, but so,so good!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails