Monday, December 23, 2013

My 2013 Favorites: Nonfiction

This is my final list of 2013 favorites. I enjoy nonfiction, and always end the year wishing I'd read more. This year is no different in that respect, but it is unique in that all of my nonfiction favorites happen to be audiobooks. I also seem to have zeroed in on two main topics this year: food and the Kennedys.



The Patriarch: The Remarkable Life and Turbulent Times of Joseph P. Kennedy
by David Nasaw
narrated by  Malcolm Hillgartner
At 31 hours, this may well be my longest audiobook ever. Learning about Joseph P. Kennedy's life is essential to understanding the Kennedy mystique, and Malcolm Hillgartner is a new favorite narrator.



JFK's Last Hundred Days: The Transformation of a Man and the Emergence of a Great President
by Thurston Clarke
Narrated by Malcolm Hillgartner
An examination of Kennedy's last few months, from both political and personal perspectives. The unique format begins at Day 100 in August 1963 and counts down to that fateful day in November.



Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us
by Michael Moss
narrated by Scott Brick
This book first struck me as nostalgic (remember all the great breakfast cereals of the 1970s?), but slowly drove me to outrage. If you eat, you must read this book.



Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation
by Michael Pollan
narrated by Michael Pollan
Michael Pollan has done it again. Cooked chronicles his three-year adventure learning, and trying to perfect, techniques involved in barbecue, braising, bread baking, and fermenting. Who knew he was such a fantastic audiobook narrator?

23 comments:

  1. I enjoy favorite lists. It looks like you've read some wonderful non-fictions this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat - I'm going to try to read even more nonfiction next year!

      Delete
  2. I've got a couple of those but haven't read any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy - You've got some good listening ahead if you decided to give them a try.

      Delete
  3. I've got three of those sitting in the queue but haven't listened yet! You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed Salt, Sugar, Fat too, although I found parts of it quite shocking. I really must try Cooked, it sounds like something I would love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - Salt, Sugar, Fat made me so angry! Cooked would be a perfect follow-up when you're in the mood for another food book.

      Delete
  5. I don't do a lot of non fiction but the Kennedy one appeals to me.

    Merry Early Christmas JoAnn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my personal goal is to read one nonfiction book a month ~ i heard one time on the radio that doing that each year makes your 12x smarter than the average person and you'll always have small talk for parties!

    you've got some great ones on your list of faves ~ I especially enjoy Michael Pollan's books and definitely want to get to Salt, Sugar, Fat!

    a very Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy - Sounds like a goal I should consider for myself. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  7. Oh goodness, 2014 might be the year I finally get to Pollan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Care - Yes, definitely read one of Pollan's books in 2014! Or listen… I seem to prefer them on audio.

      Delete
  8. I think I'd enjoy the Kennedy audio book too. I listened to one earlier this year which was a BBC radio programme from ten years ago that looked into the events of the day he died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay - Both Kennedy books are so interesting. Think I'll try to find that BBC radio show, too.

      Delete
  9. I love seeing people's best of lists, but I'm always especially interested in non-fiction. I read a fair bit of it, and I find it to be so refreshing when I can't decide what fiction to read. I'm always a fan of the foodie books, and I really need to read some Michael Pollan already. I'm also a big fan of reading about the Kennedys, but it's been a long time. Great recs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andi - I add so many books to my reading lists this time of year!

      Delete
  10. You had me at Kennedys! Actually all of these are on my too-long wish list already, but I like to be reminded why.
    Hope you had a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacybuckeye - Ha, my wish list is out of control, too! We had a wonderful holiday - too short, of course. Hope you and your family had a great Christmas. It's so much fun with a little one!

      Delete
  11. Definitely looking to pick up the Kennedy books!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails